View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Well done to you for helping Pippin and i would say he has put some weight on (((((((((((((((((((((hugs to you and Pippin )))))))))))))))))))))))
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Pippin is looking much better, you are doing a brilliant job. His feet are so much improved, he must feel marvellous in comparison to when you first took him on - credit to you all.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 10:32 AM
What a great job - well done

I really look forward to hearing how he continues to progress
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 10:38 AM
WOW... he looks so much better.. well done..

Is he backed?? do you plan on backing him eventually.. He is very very nice..
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Just read your story,
My goodness, it was sad, but what an amazing improvement you have made to that little pony,
im sure he must feel like a new pony, compared to what he was like when you rescued him.
so delighted to hear such a lovely story
good luck with him
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Glad to see your boy is doing so much better,but can i ask a really stupid question,if his feet took just 16 weeks to get in that terrible state,how on earth do horses in the wild cope including zebras,they never see a farrier.

Genuinely interested.
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks, glad you all think he looks better, sometimes its hard to see things when you are looking everyday.

Louise13, I haven't really thought about what we will do with him.If the info I have about him is correct, the previous owners had him from the age of 5, so if he was backed he would still have been very green. I'm not sure whether we will do anything with him ourselves, as we already have a menagerie of animals to look after and 3 horses to work so far. I guess it all depends on how his feet are. If he is a happy, nice and healthy companion for the rest of his life, then we'll be content.

wilmasmum, not a stupid question. Horses in the wild cover miles a day on various types of ground, today our horses stand in soft fields, covering very little ground and not wearing their feet down. To add to Pippin's problems, he has had a condition called laminitis, which can cause the horses hooves to grow even quicker.
Also, we were told it was only 16 weeks since he was last done, there is no way of knowing if this is actually true.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Our wee ponio is 5 years old now..and was backed when she was 3.. she is fab..

And re the feet..I don't honestly think its only been 16wks..16 months maybe!..

Tink is barefoot and can go 12-16wks fine..and her feet don't look anything like that..they just look a little long.. SHe doesnt' do any roadwork..is ridden 3 days a week for about an hour or 2 each day..(so doens't wear them down much)
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Another quick update on Pippin.
He is still doing well and is now in the big stable block with the other horses. He is a much happier pony, although he gets a bit upset when the others go out in the morning. I had to sacrifice my tack room and it is now stable 5, my tack room is no more and for the moment my tack is spread over a wide area!
The blacksmith is really pleased with him and said we could start putting him out last week. We haven't actually put him out yet as I suspect he will be a nightmare to catch and we will want to be around to watch him carefully. He will have to go into a small paddock and I'm not sure if this will stress him more, being able to see the other horses and not get to them. I am off this week and Mike is off at the end of it so we are planning to get him out then. The blacksmith thinks he is walking really well and is much looser than he thought he would be. Here are some photos but they aren't very good as it is too dark.

Notice, the ribs have nearly vanished,
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 08:37 AM
He's looking really good, well done

I'm looking forward to hearing how he gets on when he's allowed out again
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >