View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 10:56 AM

How do your dogs show/tell you what they want?

Hoki made me laugh last night.

I'd ordered some new toys for them and they arrived yesterday when I was at work. OH didn't tell me, but put the parcel on the kitchen table.

Hoki rushed out to greet me getting home as normal then rushed back and forward from the kitchen to me as I was walking in. When we got to the kitchen, she nudged me then went to the kitchen table, looking at me and making a 'come here' movement with her head.

She knew what was up there was for her and she knew how to get it without helping herself

Stumpy on the other hand expects you to be a mind reader - when she wants something, she just sits in front of you and stares at you until you guess what it is she wants

So how do your dogs get their message across to you?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Mo sits by the (food) cupboard and "sings" her Saluki song
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 11:14 AM
To get me out of bed in the morning, not so he can go out but purely to jump in my warm spot, Milo runs to the bedroom door whimpering then leaps on the bed and back to the door , the whimpering getting louder like he is desperate for the loo. As soon as i get up he leaps back into bed and under the duvet into the nice cosy warm spot I've left.
Shady if she wants something will come and just rest her head on something infront or beside me and stare pitifully into my eyes. When i get up she runs to whatever it is she wants.
If Milo wants something during the day he rushes back and forth between me and whatever it is crying like a baby.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I have 5 dogs , the oldest and youngest get 3 meals per day . I always seem to forget about the lunchtime feed but my oldest girl never does . She stands in front of me and stares at me until I remember . Not bad for a 15 year old
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Mo sits by the (food) cupboard and "sings" her Saluki song
I never had Mo down as a girl who loves her food. Would love to see a video of her singing some day

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
To get me out of bed in the morning, not so he can go out but purely to jump in my warm spot, Milo runs to the bedroom door whimpering then leaps on the bed and back to the door , the whimpering getting louder like he is desperate for the loo. As soon as i get up he leaps back into bed and under the duvet into the nice cosy warm spot I've left.
Shady if she wants something will come and just rest her head on something infront or beside me and stare pitifully into my eyes. When i get up she runs to whatever it is she wants.
If Milo wants something during the day he rushes back and forth between me and whatever it is crying like a baby.
Milo is a real smarty-pants isn't he, that really made me laugh Shady's way sounds far more gentle, but just a effective

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I have 5 dogs , the oldest and youngest get 3 meals per day . I always seem to forget about the lunchtime feed but my oldest girl never does . She stands in front of me and stares at me until I remember . Not bad for a 15 year old
How sweet
your old girl had evidently got a better memory than you (or perhaps its her empty tum that reminds her)
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2008, 11:44 AM
My boy shows me he wants to go out and its time to get up a 7.30 every morning by licking my face and propelling his tail like a helicoter!
Then when I roll over and ignore him he prodceeds to lie on me (all 32 kg of him) and nuzzle my face!
I cant think of a better alarm clock tho its so funny every morning when he wakes up its like he hasnt seen me for a week, and he sleeps on my bed
Sleeps on the bed spoil git!
I wish he could understand weekends are time for a lyin tho!~
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Kismet is not miss subtle!

She will go and get a hollow bone and throw it at the kitchen door making a big clatter. If this doesn't work she'll bring it and shove it in to you, gnawing on it loudly, if you move at all she'll grab the bone and run for the kitchen door again
CLATTER! whine whine CLATTER!...

What she wants is 'puppy sandwiches' A piece of bread spread with sardine paste squished into the hollow bone. I invented the treat to keep her happy when I had to go out... But she is addicted! I fear I made a rod for my back with this one...

Pharaoh will rest his head on your lap and look pitifully at you. At this point you have to be psychic.

Selkie is the queen of all she surveys and simply lies on her bed singing a mournful song of woe at how terrible her life is until you guess what she wants and bring it to her... I have more patience than my Mum who when looking after them for me ends up waiting on her ladyship.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by hades View Post
My boy shows me he wants to go out and its time to get up a 7.30 every morning by licking my face and propelling his tail like a helicoter!
Then when I roll over and ignore him he prodceeds to lie on me (all 32 kg of him) and nuzzle my face!
I cant think of a better alarm clock tho its so funny every morning when he wakes up its like he hasnt seen me for a week, and he sleeps on my bed
Sleeps on the bed spoil git!
I wish he could understand weekends are time for a lyin tho!~
I bet he does realise about weekends but pretends not to
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Kismet is not miss subtle!

She will go and get a hollow bone and throw it at the kitchen door making a big clatter. If this doesn't work she'll bring it and shove it in to you, gnawing on it loudly, if you move at all she'll grab the bone and run for the kitchen door again
CLATTER! whine whine CLATTER!...

What she wants is 'puppy sandwiches' A piece of bread spread with sardine paste squished into the hollow bone. I invented the treat to keep her happy when I had to go out... But she is addicted! I fear I made a rod for my back with this one...

Pharaoh will rest his head on your lap and look pitifully at you. At this point you have to be psychic.

Selkie is the queen of all she surveys and simply lies on her bed singing a mournful song of woe at how terrible her life is until you guess what she wants and bring it to her... I have more patience than my Mum who when looking after them for me ends up waiting on her ladyship.
those made me smile.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Bruce is a nudger and pointer, Reah stands and stares and Skye is a jump up and '''look mom''.

Bruce is the biggests talker though, usually does a little bark at us, then if we say 'what you want' he will lead us to what he wants............whether it be in the kitchen, garden or upstairs.........he knows his own mind
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 12:32 PM
In the morning Tonks tells me it is 7am and time to get up by doing very regular little yips and whines. Quiet but enough to wake me.

If she has found the next door neighbours kitten in the garden she barks.

If she wants a cuddle she either sits infront of me looking sad or throws her three and a half stone self onto my lap, pokey elbows and all! Not very subtle either!

If she wants to play she will get her favourite toy (a child's wellie at the moment) and prance around with it looking cute that throw it at me.

She also uses barking to tell me something is stuck somewhere and she can't get it out.....which is nice!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >