Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:24 PM

Anal Gland Again!

Argh! I can see this becoming an ongoing problem after emptying them about a month ago, Max's anal glands have filled up again!

Just sat here and he started scooting his bum along the carpet. Told him "no" and he just looked at me as if to say "what?!" then he did it again a few minutes later and when I checked - sure enough they were full to burst!

Yuck! I hate anal glands
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Why is it some have problems and other don't?
My lot have never had an problems toby's have been emptied 1 maybe 2 times in 4 years.
Can't be nice for them though.At least you know how to do it.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 10:54 PM
My bitch who has gone to the bridge used to have awful problems with her anal glands. Once or twice we had to out her under GA to have them flushed, and were considering removal before she had her first stroke.

My old boy however never had problems.

Some dogs are just more prone to problems than others and for some reason I have found bitches to be generally worse - but maybe I've just seen more bitches and it's actually fairly equal. The idea being that when faeces is passed, the anal glands express themselves. If for one reason or another the faeces are not quite the right consistency to express the anal glands, they fill. Unsure if there is another reason also
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2007, 11:08 PM
But what do the anal glands do?

None of my dobes have ever had this sort of a problem.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
The idea being that when faeces is passed, the anal glands express themselves. If for one reason or another the faeces are not quite the right consistency to express the anal glands, they fill. Unsure if there is another reason also
I understand that in some dogs the glands are not in the correct position & so fail to be emptied properly as well. Thats what I gathered from my vet when my dog had problems though they weren't full or impacted.
colliewobbles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2007, 08:30 PM
One of my collies has problems with her anal glands, my vet has said they are positioned incorrectly. She has had them packed twice under GA due to infections, I empty them every two - three weeks now to avoid further infections.

Nice job - not