Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ann220859
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2012, 07:29 AM

Doggie business

Hi how can I get my dog to do his business in one spot in the garden instead of everywhere!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2012, 07:41 AM
I'd be inclined to put him on a lead and take him to the spot where you actually want him to go. My dogs have usually always gone in the same spot each time, even when we moved to this new house earlier this year, my dog still goes in either one or two spots in this new garden.

I did read somewhere on the net that if you actually place a poo where you want the dog to go, then they will usually take themself off to that spot, but that's when training them from a puppy, so this is what I did at first with my current dog and it worked for me.

I'd be inclined to do the collar and lead and stand there with him and ask, and maybe give him a treat if he goes in the place you want, he could well get the message? Good luck.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Fencing! Give him a bit of the garden that`s his, with a place to dig and sniff about, and fence your BBQ area off?
ann220859
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for that - I'll give it a go!
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'd be inclined to put him on a lead and take him to the spot where you actually want him to go. My dogs have usually always gone in the same spot each time, even when we moved to this new house earlier this year, my dog still goes in either one or two spots in this new garden.

I did read somewhere on the net that if you actually place a poo where you want the dog to go, then they will usually take themself off to that spot, but that's when training them from a puppy, so this is what I did at first with my current dog and it worked for me.

I'd be inclined to do the collar and lead and stand there with him and ask, and maybe give him a treat if he goes in the place you want, he could well get the message? Good luck.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-11-2012, 01:08 PM
One way is to teach him to go on command.
Some people I know think it's bonkers but I can assure you that it's quite easy to teach.

When you dog goes, give the command, I use "Hurry Up"
you say this every time he goes and before long whenever you say it, it will make him want to go. Obviously this should be used when he is more likely to need to go.

Once this is learnt you can take him to the area you want him to use and give the command and he will soon learn that that is the right place.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi Shane do you mind if I take the liberty of using your post to add a bit more detail here. I don't want to just ignore your post and say almost the same thing...

Originally Posted by Shane View Post
One way is to teach him to go on command.
Some people I know think it's bonkers but I can assure you that it's quite easy to teach.

When you dog goes, give the command, I use "Hurry Up"
you say this every time he goes and before long whenever you say it, it will make him want to go.
You really need to add your prompt word I say 'beclean' when the dog is actually relieving itself so that it associates the word with the action . The moment it finishes give a high value treat like a bit of cheese /chicken and lots of praise.
Once your dog has got the hang of it you can stop the treat but continue to give praise.

Once this is learnt you can take him to the area you want him to use and give the command and he will soon learn that that is the right place.
Thank you Shane..

Ann the best way to teach this to your dog initially is to take it for a walk. The exercise and scent of other animals will stimulate him to relieve himself then you can add your prompt word/praise/treat.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Shane do you mind if I take the liberty of using your post to add a bit more detail here. I don't want to just ignore your post and say almost the same thing...
Not at all, Very much agree with your additions