Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Lady always tracked the perimiter before starting a square, so I just had to chill for a minute until she got started. Do you just start at one pole and walk diagonally across dropping an odd article?

- a padlock (bit more work to get them to hold metal, wouldn't start with that)
- a bolt
- an old credit card
- a bit of scouring pad
- a plastic whisky bottle miniature

It is 35 paces from diagonal pole to diagonal and of course I never DROP things, they are ALWAYS placed.

Wasting 1 minute out of 5 is too much time, that is 20% less time available for actual searching.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Pindonkey View Post
I'm reading the 'tracking dog' by glen johnson.
I will take advantage of the frosty and wet mornings,and lets put it this way,the rain loves spending time with ireland
Very good book, just remember that the articles in AMERICAN TD and TDX are MUCH more generous than ours and their test is just tracking, there is no control or agility.
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Very good book, just remember that the articles in AMERICAN TD and TDX are MUCH more generous than ours and their test is just tracking, there is no control or agility.

Oh yes i know that I got an 8 page article about working trials from the kennel club,it has everything from judging to definitions and heights of jumps. I am also looking at rod roberts website which has given me some ideas on how to build a scale and how to go about training them.

Got oscar a nylon harness today for tracking and it fits perfectly and i have a 30ft line although i think i will get a long 50ft soft nylon rope and a clip for the end.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I judged a Working Trial in Ireland last year. There are some excellent triallists in Ireland, Judith Owen, Miriam Lyons, Anne Collen and her sister Diane, all of whom have made up UK WT Ch in various breeds.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 07:35 PM
It is 35 paces from diagonal pole to diagonal and of course I never DROP things, they are ALWAYS placed.

Wasting 1 minute out of 5 is too much time, that is 20% less time available for actual searching.
Good tip - thank you
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Pindonkey View Post
Got oscar a nylon harness today for tracking and it fits perfectly and i have a 30ft line although i think i will get a long 50ft soft nylon rope and a clip for the end.
IMO 30ft is a min. I like to throw the line straight behind when I kick off. Good to know what direction is back down the track - easy to get lost out there!

Haven't read the book but I would start with short straight line tracks with mega praise, play and food at the end
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
IMO 30ft is a min. I like to throw the line straight behind when I kick off. Good to know what direction is back down the track - easy to get lost out there!

Haven't read the book but I would start with short straight line tracks with mega praise, play and food at the end
Tsk Tsk Tsk

ALL WT should have a copy of this book, the training programme he has is superb and applies to WT tracking. Buy it, you will find it very useful, I reckon even with NO help a person who followed this book to the letter would train a very competent tracking dog.
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I judged a Working Trial in Ireland last year. There are some excellent triallists in Ireland, Judith Owen, Miriam Lyons, Anne Collen and her sister Diane, all of whom have made up UK WT Ch in various breeds.
Judith owen,sounds so familiar,but i dont know where from.Hmmm maybe it was in one of my emails to the WTCI

Must say after looking into the sport,its absoutly great.Lots of videos on youtube,i really like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wx9UBEY51Y

And i liked this one too,the beagle in this one had a little trouble on the scale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn5YWhIR3Cg

And there are loads more too!!!!! I am hoping i will get to go and see one too I think oscar will love it,he does agiltiy too but i just need to finish building my course first!!
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Tsk Tsk Tsk

ALL WT should have a copy of this book, the training programme he has is superb and applies to WT tracking. Buy it, you will find it very useful, I reckon even with NO help a person who followed this book to the letter would train a very competent tracking dog.

Oh yes this book is amazing,its a 10 week course for TD tracks and then another 8 weeks for TDX tracks. It has all the problems you may come across along with 2 very informative chapters on tracking in the start and all of the things that glen johnson did to experiment how dogs actually track.Then it goes on to about 6 pages of laying tracks,from teaching you how to walk in a straight line to making perfect turns. Then.....well.....lots more. It is a must have for trackers!!!!!!!
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Heres another video i love!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfM9w4MAaZs

Love the dog too!!!! Great example of a lovely GSD!!!!!
There are lots more videos of Xena too,doing protection work and stuff.
I'm kinda addicted to dogs doing working trials and schnutzhund(but oscar wont be doing schnutzhund,maybe if he wasnt a beagle id look into it) at the moment!!! Cant stop myself!!!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >