Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Why buy a health tested puppy-NEVER think it wont happen to you

Every on Dogsey propably knows the story of how I got my second dog but if you dont here's a brief overview. (The first is a rescue.)

Me and the OH wanted another dog, the OH was very keen on a Basset Hound. A friend told us that she knew of someone who had puppies. These pups were only half Basset Hound it turned out but we went to see them anyway. I fell in love with my jelly bean I said I wanted her. We met the mum, she was a sweetie. We had to go a few doors down to meet dad who was a staffy. Happy lovely mad staffy but that was OK ive got one just the same so I decided I definately wanted the pup. The story behind the pups was this staffy had jumped a 6ft fence to reach the bitch on heat (apparently but thats just the cycnic in me). I didnt ask why she wasnt spayed I didnt see it as my business.

These people wernt puppy farmers neither did they give the pups a funny designer name, they said the pups were an accident and were half basset half staff. They didnt charge an extorsionate price either. I bought home this little bundle of joy 5 weeks later when she was 7 weeks 5 days old. I was neive about health tests.

First trip to the vet I found out my puppy has a flat rib cage. Squashing her internal organs. It is not dangerous unless she has puppies so thank god for that...Anyways a problem already.
Today after getting back from holiday I found out my pups not been well and has been peeing madly for 2 days. Straight the vet....Pup has a water infection. The vet said its very very unusual for such a young pup to have a water infection and there may be underlying cause. Have to give her a months worth of anti biotics and pray it clears up or she will have to have further tests. So here I am 105 pounds lighter and still not sure if she will get better from the antibiotics of if there is something else plaging her...

The point I am trying to make is although she wasnt a mass produced puppy from a farm she was the result of two randomly bred dogs. She is an angel, a pleasure to train, very obedient and well behaved in general. But at the end of the day she isnt well. People should understand temprament by itself isnt enough for breeding (following from the husky thread) and when buying a puppy try their best to buy from health tested stock and never think it wont happen to you. Please people take my experience on board.

My poor baby
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 04:33 PM
TBH I am not seeing the problem as NEITHER of these conditions have any health tests to determine their likelihood!

Being "slab sided" is not a health issue, just not particularly attractive and could impact (in other breeds) on endurance.

As for water infections, I am afraid these can happen with any dog at at any age however bred.

As these infections are notoriously difficult to clear up this is why you will have a month's supply of ABs.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with SB, I don't think either of these problems can be tested for, infact some slab sided bitches spring their ribs when pregnant (not that I'm advocating breeding from her!!) or as they mature so that may well correct itself.
As for a water infection that too is not something that I would considr hereditary, also are they sure it's a water infection and not vaginitis which is a common infection in young bitches pre first season.
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi Sarah, I don't understand your vets opinion on urinary tract infections I have found them to be quite common.

The urinary tract up to the bladder is quite short particularly in a bitch puppy and it is comparatively easy for bacteria to access the bladder in a puppy which is urinating frequently .
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:19 PM
My Caspar had a urinary infection as a puppy, it's just one of those things, can happen to anyone.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Poor little things got pink pee and ant stop going

What if it wasnt a water infection though, what if it was something more serious that could be tested for...thats the point Im trying to make.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:31 PM
You could do all the relevant checks for both breeds on your puppy when it's old enough if you are worried.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Poor little things got pink pee and ant stop going

What if it wasnt a water infection though, what if it was something more serious that could be tested for...thats the point Im trying to make.

I am a bit confused as YOU chose to buy this puppy knowing it was the result of a cross and no health checks had taken place...........
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am a bit confused as YOU chose to buy this puppy knowing it was the result of a cross and no health checks had taken place...........
I know better for the future
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:49 PM
But these things, as said, can't be 'tested' for... so should the title not be 'any dog can suffer from any number of illnesses whether well bred/health tested or not- owners should be aware before buying any puppy' or something ??

A urinary infection isn't exactly hip dysplasia- but i hope it clears up nicely for the poor lass
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >