Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2011, 12:24 PM

Arthritic Knees......Suggestions for supplements

Hi Everyone

Obi has just been diagnosed as having arthritus starting in his knees this week, he is Akita x BSD (we think, theres definately Akita there) approx 6-7 years old. Ive found his back legs are stiff after lying and can be a little bit limpy until he gets himself going (usually just a few steps but its noticable) I can also see at times he is just a bit uneasy on his legs when playing and getting in and out of the car etc.

After speaking to the vet its not very advanced but she feels at this stage getting some supplements into him is the best way forward as it is not serious enough yet for anti inflamatories etc. Ive got to keep his exercise regular and consistent and he wont be back to running with me after baba arrives!

Ive been doing a little research and obviously glucosamine and chondroitin is the most obvious choice that springs out, Ive also read good things about devils claw? Can these be both be given? or ould I be better starting with one or the ther?

Also will some oily fish a couple of times a week in his diet help? He loves sardines etc.

Thanks
Ali & Obi
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 12:49 PM
This article/website has lots of info on it
http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritis.html

I would introduce supplements one at a time personally, they may be natural but that doesn't mean they're not without side effects. I've heard several cases of green lipped mussel (used for joint issues) causing upset stomachs, for example.
I've heard mixed views on whether it's OK to give Devil's Claw alongside NSAIDs like Metacam so if the vet has prescribed medication it may be worth mentioning that you're supplementing things too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Hi Everyone

Obi has just been diagnosed as having arthritus starting in his knees this week, he is Akita x BSD (we think, theres definately Akita there) approx 6-7 years old. Ive found his back legs are stiff after lying and can be a little bit limpy until he gets himself going (usually just a few steps but its noticable) I can also see at times he is just a bit uneasy on his legs when playing and getting in and out of the car etc.

After speaking to the vet its not very advanced but she feels at this stage getting some supplements into him is the best way forward as it is not serious enough yet for anti inflamatories etc. Ive got to keep his exercise regular and consistent and he wont be back to running with me after baba arrives!

Ive been doing a little research and obviously glucosamine and chondroitin is the most obvious choice that springs out, Ive also read good things about devils claw? Can these be both be given? or ould I be better starting with one or the ther?

Also will some oily fish a couple of times a week in his diet help? He loves sardines etc.

Thanks
Ali & Obi
Hi a lot of research has been done on neutraceuticals over the last few years and there are a plethora of EFFECTIVE supplements which can be safely used in both humans and dogs.

I personally choose to use supplements designed for humans as it gives me the opportunity to create a bespoke creation and avoid some ingredients I believe are not necessarily required.

Also they are often cheaper and it means of course that I can use them too!

Glucosamine (HCl is better than sulphate)
Chondroitin (there is marine or bovine)
MSM
Green Lipped Mussel Extract
Rosehips
Hylaurinc Acid
Cetyl Miristoleate
Fish Body Oils (check the DHA and EPA content)
You need to give Vitamin E with this (preferably natural)
Vitamin C
Bromelain

Some people give Devils Claw, Ginger, Curcumin etc.

It is great that it is your vet that has recommended this is the way to go instead of putting him on anti inflammatories etc so at least you have the knowledge that he is on side and there are no possible contraindications due incompatibility of drugs and supplements.

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/

http://www.cetylm.co.uk/
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
This article/website has lots of info on it
http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritis.html

I would introduce supplements one at a time personally, they may be natural but that doesn't mean they're not without side effects. I've heard several cases of green lipped mussel (used for joint issues) causing upset stomachs, for example.
I've heard mixed views on whether it's OK to give Devil's Claw alongside NSAIDs like Metacam so if the vet has prescribed medication it may be worth mentioning that you're supplementing things too.
Thanks for this Ill have a good look though, He hasnt been prescribed medication as of yet and supplements should be enough relief at the minute. The Vet also said just to source the glucosamine myself as it would be cheaper than from the them.

Glucosamine was the only one she really mentioned but I know there are many different supplements out there so am just getting peoples opinions and experiences at the minute.

Ali
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2011, 01:42 PM
As your dog isn't at the stage for anti inflammatory drugs, it might be worth you looking at Cartrophen injections or discuss them with your vet.
I have seen and heard many excellent stories, including my own boy who had a cruciate operation 18 months ago. His joint was already quite badly arthritic but with the help of Cartrophen he is still managing reasonably long walks.
I can tell when his next injection is due because he starts to struggle.

http://www.kvh.com.au/Cartrophen%20Vet.html
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I swear by Cortaflex (for dogs & cats) (www.fermain.com) - all my dogs have been on it once they got old or had dodgy joints and its amazing stuff, they do a human version too.

I have also used a Bio-Flo collar on my GSD and Rottie and it was amazing although it doesnt work for all dogs - if I took it off my Rottie I would notice a change ie struggling to get up etc with 48 hours.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Yumove, its fantastic. Got my HD dog off of Rimadyl/metacam.

Should work brill with your problem

http://www.lintbells.com/online-stor...FQEa4QodvRLdWQ
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:39 PM
I would say the best thing is to reduce the weight of your dog and keep on the lean side as the less pressure, the less pain and inflammation, this means you can keep under better control with less supplementation/medication which can only be good.
Becky
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 07:44 PM
The only 2 I have found to be effective are Cosequin and Seraquin I have tried others and found they dont work with my dog
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I took the route of Glucosomine and Chondroitin and also Green Lipped Mussel with Sam. He was diagnosed with severe HD and arthritis at 6 years old. He's now 15 and a half and it's only the past (approx) 18 months to 2 years where things progressively worsened to the point of needing more traditional pain relief.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >