View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Designer dogs whats the actual problem??

I dont see their is an actual problem with these designer dogs the only reason I didnt go for one in the end is that I felt they were being sold for an unreasonable price that wasnt justified most were simply vet checked which doesnt mean anything but the more popular crosses had, had the propper tests needed for the breeds on both sides but I still felt £500 for a mutt just because it had a fancy name when you can pick one up at Battersea for £100 complete with vaccinations and all ready spade/newted was asking a bit much.

What does worry me though are the people who think designer dogs are pedigree because their parents are pedigree that does concern me to a degree she this be a problem??? Why it concerns me is how people can honestly think a designer dog which has two completely different breed parents could possible be pedigree to begin with.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-07-2011, 04:49 PM
dont know why there's a problem but i come across it all the time as i have a mastweiler, bulmastiff cross rotweiler but he's a mutt pure and simple not pedigree i bought him for £50 ive seen some go for about £200-£300 why i dont know.
but mine is soft as hell and very mard people do get scared when they ask what he is and i tell them, sterotyped dog already because of the rotty side.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I have no problems with cross breeds, its when they get give a silly name, the price bumped right up, and get over-bred, I see a LOT of "RAER" and "Designer" dogs around.

Norfolk Pacer Dogs
Jack-A-Bee
Jack-A-Poo
Stinger
Beaffy

all these are litters from one place and all current litters up for sale.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Just seen this one advertised. Hush Cocker. Basset x cocker spaniel. Are they having a laugh
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I think there are enough pedigree breeds out there to choose from to fit someones requirements of grooming, exercise, temperament, health needs, than to cross two or more breeds and not health test, give them a silly name and silly price tag; not to mention some 'breeders' giving false infomation like "better offlead than purebred X, Y and Z" for example.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 05:33 PM
we get loads at kennels

have a puggle at the moment pugxbeagle, but we get them all. Im really not into crosses and no matter what anybody says thats what they are to me.

i know most dogs started that way, i have a bullmastiff and thats a bulldog x mastiff but bred ages ago and for a REASON.

I also think its thinks like this that contribute to the fact so many dogs are being bred and rescue centres are full. At least people where put of by crosses a bit before so breeders didnt tend to bother, but now theyl breed anything with anything
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 05:54 PM
The very fact that people give x breeds a NAME rather than just saying "my dog is a cross between a "x" and a "y" tells me that there is a degree of inverted snobbery involved in "designer" cross breeds.

If your dog is a cross breed it is a cross breed, or a mongrel end of.

It is not a "hybrid" and a poremanteau name such as "jacksund" does not imbue said cross breed, whether by accident or design, any superior qualities over any OTHER cross breed or purebred dog.

The only thing it DOES do is apparently increase the amount of money said people are prepared to pay for such a dog.

Still, a fool and his money are soon parted!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Why it concerns me is how people can honestly think a designer dog which has two completely different breed parents could possible be pedigree to begin with.
Any dog can have a pedigree, even one with parents of different breeds. A pedigree is just a family tree or record of ancestry.

However, unless the pups are registered with a suitable, trustworthy (in the record-keeping sense) registration body, then there is no proof that the records are accurate and true.

There's nothing to stop anyone providing a wriiten record of a pup's ancestry at sale and claiming it to be a pedigree. But unless the dog is registered and all its ancestors, it's just a worthless piece of paper.

One way of getting round this is for 'designer' crosses to be registered on the KC Activity Register. But that's no guarantee of anything much either, as crossbreed dogs can be added to that register, and the records aren't searchable.

Or to register the puppies with one of the less trustworthy registration bodies, who will accept anything you care to write down as long as you pay the fee. Then you can supply an 'official' pedigree and say the pups are registered without breaking any advertising laws.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I have a cross breed, JRT x shih tzu.

If people ask what he is I generally say "a terrier cross" or "a jack russell cross" - he isn't a "fancy cross breed" to me lol

I think the issue comes with people wanting the NAME of the dog rather than the ACTUAL mix of dog. Plus the stupid prices.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I always say shih tzu crosses....
I wonder why i dont say yorkie cross??lol
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »