Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Just had report from Vets and Cherry did not have a tumour

Sorry-I need a few of those "Dogsey vibes" please.

We just got home from an afternoon out round Diss with Parker and there was a message on our answerphone.

The vet from Fakenham rang with the results of Cherry's biopsy and she did not have a tumour. She had something called fungal aspergillosis. When I hear this message I started screaming and crying saying "I've killed my dog and she didn't have cancer, what have I done?" It was like your worst nightmare come true.

Jamie was saying "no, she was in pain and we did what we thought was right" and then he rang the vets to speak to him whilst I was sobbing in the kitchen.

The vet said that it can be treated but it is complex and uncomfortable for the dog. It involves putting tubes into the dog's head and has only a 50% success rate for the first treatment and some dogs need up to 5 treatments. He said Cherry's case was advanced into her skull too.

I said to Jamie "you're not just telling me this to make me feel better are you?" and he said he wasn't but I can ring the vets tomorrow and speak to him myself.

I know in my heart that I had determined NOT to put Cherry through any more treatments after her eye operations last year and to let her go in peace.

The vet also said that even if she had a succesful operation it would probably come back at some time anyway.

I just can't believe this news as today has been horrid news-day already with my niece being involved in a car accident with 2 boy racers. The police were involved and her car was a write-off. She was not badly injured thankfully but had to go to hospital (where she was on her way too anyway as she works there!) to have a couple of stitches in her head.

We also had a near shave with a head-on collision as a woman was overtaking dangerously and I was doing 60 miles an hour on the other side of the road and had to brake very hard to avoid her. That's when you're glad your dog has a car-harness on!

I just feel absolutely traumatised as you can imagine. I don't know how I am going to get through this. I really hope I did the right thing. It is awful and gut-wrenching when I heard this message from the vets but as we wouldn't have put our lovely Cherry through a messy, uncomfortable procedure anyway I am sure I will eventually realise we did the right thing.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2011, 05:36 PM
You know you did the right thing for Cherry - you gave her peace and dignity and took away her pain.

Sending huge cyber hugs for you.

Malka xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Don't beat yourself up with what if's and maybe's, you made the right decision for all the right reasons.
Hugs x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-07-2011, 06:05 PM
You have certainly saved Cherry from a painful death sentence.

They thought this is what Ollie had when his nose started bleeding just before we had to say goodbye to him and I can tell you the tests to confirm are invasive and not nice and they have to have their nose flushed and then a drain for 6 weeks and medication if it is not sorted it eats the nasal cavities away and the nose blows and it is not pleasant.

We chose to not have Ollie tested on the neurologists advice as he had been through so much already so opted to treat for it in case it was the aspergillis as we didn't want to be in the posiiton of that awful thing happening to him unfortunately the other illnesses beat him to it and we never got to cash the prescription let alone give him the medication.

At some point you would have had to of faced this anyway you have saved her from suffering. (((Hugs))). Xx
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
You know you did the right thing for Cherry - you gave her peace and dignity and took away her pain.

Sending huge cyber hugs for you.

Malka xx
Ditto this.

*hugs*
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 06:11 PM
As everyone is saying you did the right thing. Without a doubt you saved Cherry from more pain.

Shame the vet left such a specific message and didn't just ask you to call or go to see them. Very upsetting.
Hugs to you.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 06:15 PM
You most definitely did the right thing. It sounds that the treatment for this problem is not pleasant and dogs are so stoic that sometimes I think we do things to them thinking it doesn't hurt because they don't show it when in reality we never really know how much pain they are in until it really is too much for them to bear.
As I have said before it is far better a week too early than a day too late.
She is all better now though and waiting for you to be together again, she knows you did it for her and gave her a peaceful ending.
Becky
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I think you did the right thing. Okay so it wasn't a tumor like you thought but the end result would still have been the same since you say she was uncomfortable as she was and that you wouldn't have put her through such invasive treatment.

Cherry is at peace now, she's not going to suffer either through this disease or through the treatment.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I think you did the right thing. Okay so it wasn't a tumor like you thought but the end result would still have been the same since you say she was uncomfortable as she was and that you wouldn't have put her through such invasive treatment.

Cherry is at peace now, she's not going to suffer either through this disease or through the treatment.
To add to this you did what you thought was best with the information available that is all anyone can ask or expect.

You are bound to feel guilty, this is normal, whatever the result.

So do not beat yourself up.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 06:21 PM
im sure you did the right thing, its just going to take time for this new information to sink in
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >