Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Sudden relaspe in house training?

Afternoon folks!

Bo, my Slovak, is 5 months now. We haven't had any peeing accidents in the house (bar one, which trickled out when she was wrestling with one of my others ) for at LEAST a month, if not more. So since she was 15 weeks or so. UNTIL yesterday. Yesterday she stuck upstairs and peed on the carpet, and then later on in the kitchen. I didn't see her do either of them but it was definitely her. Then today, she peed in the conservatory and in the kitchen again. Even though I was standing right next to her, I missed the one in the kitchen. There was no attempt to go out and stand by the door that time.

Up until now she has been really good at running towards and standing by the back door when she needed to go. So, what gives? the only thing I can think of is that it has been raining quite heavily for the past three days. She has shown previous reluctance to go out in the rain. Could this be it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Signed, Bo's personal 'pee wiper upper'.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 01:01 PM
She's still a bit young, but any chance she could be coming into season?

Otherwise I guess it could be a urinary infection?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
She's still a bit young, but any chance she could be coming into season?

Otherwise I guess it could be a urinary infection?
Hi Hali

I haven't noticed any signs that she is coming into season, no. She has literally just turned 5 months so as you say, a bit young.

UTI is a possibility. I'll have to look into that if it continues.

I should add that she she drinks alot (she needs a lot of food to maintain her weight...she is still a skinny minny on 600 grams a day) and therefore pees a lot anyway. So peeing often for her isn't abnormal. She just generally has been doing it outside, rather than in!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I wasn't so much thinking about quantity (though that is obviously a sign), more that with an infection I think sometimes they don't know they need to go until the last second - or they might feel that they constantly need to go - equally confusing.

One sign I've noticed with both coming into season and UTI is more cleaning of their 'lady bits' - have you noticed her doing that more often?

If not, then yes, I think she may have decided that it is much nicer/easier to do it in the nice warm dry house than outside in the rain!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I wasn't so much thinking about quantity (though that is obviously a sign), more that with an infection I think sometimes they don't know they need to go until the last second - or they might feel that they constantly need to go - equally confusing.

One sign I've noticed with both coming into season and UTI is more cleaning of their 'lady bits' - have you noticed her doing that more often?

If not, then yes, I think she may have decided that it is much nicer/easier to do it in the nice warm dry house than outside in the rain!
Yesterday the weather here was awful and my young'un who has been housetrained for months, did a couple of sneaky ones inside. I just went back to "puppy training" mode and put her out for a wee every hour all is fine and back to normal. If that hadn't worked, I'd have gone back to crate/pen training her. I think sometimes they can "forget" and need a little reminder of their training.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
[/B]Yesterday the weather here was awful and my young'un who has been housetrained for months, did a couple of sneaky ones inside. I just went back to "puppy training" mode and put her out for a wee every hour all is fine and back to normal. If that hadn't worked, I'd have gone back to crate/pen training her. I think sometimes they can "forget" and need a little reminder of their training.
I was just gonna say myself has the change in weather got anything to do with it??
Mine are reluctant when they get shoved in the garden to go toilet!!
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Pretty normal really, she's only 5 months old and it's true puppies don't like the rain.

Just have to go back to basics like others have said, that's the best way really, she should get better after 6/7 months as they have more bladder control by that age, but even then they can still slip up.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys.

I am hoping it is just because of the rain. Of course, if Tilly my Yorkie pees inside, it is so small you barely notice it. If Bo pees I literally use half a trees worth of kitchen roll to wipe it up.
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2009, 02:21 PM
It's when you have to use actual carrier bags due to the size of the poo I get worried.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
When we got Anubis he was the same - didn't want to go out if it was raining, so I had to go out into the garden with him every time it rained... However he cottoned on very quickly that if he went out and did his business quickly then the quicker he could come back in and receive lots of rubbing down with a towel - which he LOVES! He doesn't really care about rain now unless it's REALLY bad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >