Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patsquatch
New Member!
Male 

25-06-2018, 11:07 PM

2 year old potty training

Our pup is almost 2 years old. She stays in the kitchen at night with her dog bed. During the day she was staying in the kitchen as well while I'm asleep and wife works. It went on like this for 6 months with no accidents. When we are there shes out and gets several walks a day and had no accidents in the house. We decided to try and let her have access to all of the first floor. Went well for a few weeks then randomly she started peeing in our dining room. Its not everyday, but we are going nuts trying to figure out how to fix this. Should we just put her back in the kitchen? Block off the dining room? We were thinking of a dog door but we only have a glass sliding door and its 1k to put it in. Also we are going to have a baby in a few months so we are trying to get this taken care of before that happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2018, 08:09 AM
Was she ever house trained as a pup or just left to her own devices because you don't actually mention any training? If you don't teach them that outside is the only acceptable place to go then how will they know? Your post is confusing, the dog is 2 and was confined to the kitchen for 6 months, what about the other 18 months? How likely is it there is something in the dining room making her pee? Have other animals had access to it? If not then I doubt blocking off the dining room would work and she'd just find somewhere else to go. Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like a training issue to me. The same would apply to a dog door she'd need to be trained to go outside. Everything always becomes an issue when a baby is about to arrive.
Patsquatch
New Member!
Male 

27-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Yes when we initially got her she was crate trained, she had mastered going outside. When she outgrew her crate we decided to use the ktichen as a massive crate so to speak. She was fine in there for a long time. No accidents at all. She would let us know when she needed out, go out and pee and come back in. When we decided to let her have reign of the first floor she was also fine for a while. About a week before we found out we were pregnant she started this behavior. There was also an incident where she had an accident and broke out of the kitchen, but I initially attributed that to the severe storms we had that night.
The dining room is where she would go when we first got her and she had to go potty, before she was trained. I assume she can still smell it even after a professional cleaning. I guess the big question is, is this a random behavioral issue or is it related to her knowing we are pregnant? (I know she doesn't know we are pregnant but she can tell/smell something is up)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2018, 04:54 PM
She will know that you are pregnant ... she will smell it ... I have little experience of bitches, but I never believe in ignoring the elephant in the room. Others more experienced than I will comment on this, but I would place my money on this behaviour being related to your pregnancy! As a social pack species, dogs aka wolves take a huge interest in such matters ... my advice would be to involve her in your pregnancy every step of the way and when the baby is born allow her to see, touch, smell the baby (opposed to freaking out when she comes near). Vigilance and watchful awareness at all times, but allow her to be included.