View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-07-2011, 10:15 AM
C.M. seems to divide opinion more than just about any topic on here (except maybe breeding, and one other item that I'm not allowed to mention because the OP didn't!).

Whilst I don't agree with everything he does - I did once interrupt (very politely) someone doing the heelkick to the dog, I happened to be carrying a selection of toys, treats, and a gentle leader on this particular day - I do think there's some good to be found in what he says.

I find the idea of being a calm assertive leader wholly acceptable. That's not to say I'm the leader in the sense that if the dogs don't do as I say I'll administer any kind of physical punishment, but I decide the rules and there are usually good reasons behind them (e.g. I leave the house first not because I think the dogs will want to rule me if they go first, but because we live on an "open plan" estate and there just might me someone outside when I open the door).

As for the calm bit, sometimes training doesn't go to plan and I feel myself getting frustrated, in which case I usually abort what I'm doing and do something else/leave it for the next time.

Anyone read CM's latest book "Cesar's Rules"? It would be interesting to see how what he has to say sits side by side with Ian Dunbar's hands off approach.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-07-2011, 10:35 AM
There is (or was, unless his machine has taken it down!) a video of him setting up an aggressive dog with another dog, and him laughing - yes, LAUGHING - when the dog/s aggressed.

This is the REAL Cesar - make no mistake about it.
I am open to a lot of conspiracy theories but until I see that clip, and please send me it, I do not believe he is that type of guy. I saw a couple of Ian Dunbar interviews and I could believe it about him. He even talked about 'punching a guy out' at one point, but let's not go there.

The clips of him tapping a dog with his foot is when a dog is showing domination, or rather the dog thinks it knows best, IMO. His main methodology is exercise, discipline and affection. The discipline is just rules, boundaries and limitations together with being the pack leader. I am sure everyone knows this already but my point is that a physical touch is only used occasionally when the dog thinks he is the boss. We have 2 dogs and one of them, like perhaps most dogs are, is naturally submissive. The other one is naturally dominant and aggressive. He is never physically touched but if you do not show him who is boss, that is dominate him, he is very naughty and can be aggressive. Basically, give him an inch, he takes a mile. So IMO he needs Cesar's way.

Cesar's shows are so popular because they are about dog psychology. People like to know what dogs think. Cesar's way is to be the pack leader the way a dog does. And a dog will bite another dog when they are misbehaving, so if people say it it is wrong to ever physically touch a dog, are they saying that dogs should not be living in packs?

I personally think people make far too much of him physically touching dogs.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 10:40 AM
The people that approach him often have been told by every dog trainer that their dog should be put down.
Ah but how much use were these trainers? I've had multiple trainers tell me to put my dog to sleep.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I feel that a season of Big Brother should be where there are all different dog trainers in the house. Their treatment in the house will be based on their beliefs, so all the 'dominance' people will not be allowed on the furniture nor sleep on the bed, will have their food taken away from them mid meal, will be kicked, prodded etc for attention, wrestld to the ground if they disobey etc etc, now that is a Big Brother I would watch!!
Becky
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I feel that a season of Big Brother should be where there are all different dog trainers in the house. Their treatment in the house will be based on their beliefs, so all the 'dominance' people will not be allowed on the furniture nor sleep on the bed, will have their food taken away from them mid meal, will be kicked, prodded etc for attention, wrestld to the ground if they disobey etc etc, now that is a Big Brother I would watch!!
Becky
Ooooh, I'd so watch that one!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Is anyone else sick of people whose first post seems intent on starting a flame war?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 11:20 AM
i dont think i care anymore to be honest. if you think thsts how you would like to see your dog treated . then go for it. if not then train it properally
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Is anyone else sick of people whose first post seems intent on starting a flame war?
yes! what is with that?!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
yes! what is with that?!
Professor Norman Johnson, commenting on the propensity of Internet posters to flame one another, states:

The literature suggests that, compared to face-to-face, the increased incidence of flaming when using computer-mediated communication is due to reductions in the transfer of social cues, which decrease individuals’ concern for social evaluation and fear of social sanctions or reprisals. When social identity and ingroup status are salient, computer mediation can decrease flaming because individuals focus their attention on the social context (and associated norms) rather than themselves.[13]

so now you know.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Professor Norman Johnson, commenting on the propensity of Internet posters to flame one another, states:

The literature suggests that, compared to face-to-face, the increased incidence of flaming when using computer-mediated communication is due to reductions in the transfer of social cues, which decrease individuals’ concern for social evaluation and fear of social sanctions or reprisals. When social identity and ingroup status are salient, computer mediation can decrease flaming because individuals focus their attention on the social context (and associated norms) rather than themselves.[13]

so now you know.
I would of just said they are a bit simples lol
Page 33 of 49 « First < 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 > Last »