Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
I have no problems with cross breeds, its when they get give a silly name, the price bumped right up, and get over-bred, I see a LOT of "RAER" and "Designer" dogs around.

Norfolk Pacer Dogs
Jack-A-Bee
Jack-A-Poo
Stinger
Beaffy

all these are litters from one place and all current litters up for sale.
Sounds like the place in my neck of the woods at Diss in Norfolk? I noticed they had "Beaffy" pups for sale recently. S if more Staffy crosses were a good idea when you see how many there are already in rescue.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Sounds like the place in my neck of the woods at Diss in Norfolk? I noticed they had "Beaffy" pups for sale recently. S if more Staffy crosses were a good idea when you see how many there are already in rescue.
He has been banned from here...
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-07-2011, 06:13 PM
i dont see the big deal myself its us humans at fault really, having said that kennels shouldnt have dogs dumped, because peeps get them cant be arssed etc etc everyone should have a course and made to have a license before having or getting a dog i think. now when im out i simply reply to peeps as my dog being a bullmastif cross rotty not mastweiler as they've been called. as long as my dog is trained right is soft good with kids and other dogs im not really bothered what peeps say about my MONGREL, he's my MIX breed and wouldnt swap him for anything not even a pedigree.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:13 PM
My problem with the "designer" breeds is that 99% of the time it's somebody breeding two dogs together without thinking beyond the money they can make.

I have to say it makes me laugh when someone looks down on me for owning a mutt yet they own one themself, they're just in denial because it came with a silly name and an even sillier price tag.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I think the problem with these so called designer cross breeds, is that people are paying silly money to get a CROSS and mainly from very unethical sources, . As many have said you want a cross, got to a rescue, for less money, you can help lots of other dogs or get a pedigree from a good ethical breeder. I've got no probs with cross breeds, I've got a Settany, mmm or should it be a britter?lol ,I still have trouble getting my head around someone paying around £500 for a CROSS
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by ste View Post
I think the problem with these so called designer cross breeds, is that people are paying silly money to get a CROSS and mainly from very unethical sources, . As many have said you want a cross, got to a rescue, for less money, you can help lots of other dogs or get a pedigree from a good ethical breeder. I've got no probs with cross breeds, I've got a Settany, mmm or should it be a britter?lol ,I still have trouble getting my head around someone paying around £500 for a CROSS
oh yes when i got my masstif cross rotty for £50 afterwards i'd seen loads going for £200-£300 stupid money and shouldnt be allowed imo
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:24 PM
For me it's the complete lack of thought about the consequences of what they are doing, they cross two breeds together because they think the 'name' is funny or the dogs will look funny and have no thought as to what will happen, not just physically with physical attributes but mentally and emotionally too. If you cross two dogs with conflicting attributes then that dog will always be in a state of conflict with it's genes!!
Becky
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I saw a Shar Pei cross Bassett at a dog show once. I'm sure if there had been a class for the ugliest or most peculiar loking dog this one would have won poor thing! It had the body and size of a Bassett with the head and colouring of a Shar Pei. WHY?!!!!

My niece has a "Jack Spaniel" and it is manic. Very high energy which I am not surprised given its parent breeds.

I saw someone at a dog show recently with a "Poo-cock" and mentioned to them about how I have not seen many of this cross but have seen a lot of Poo-adors. He said "You mean Labradoodles"! I forgot as I always think of them as Poo-adors.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
For me it's the complete lack of thought about the consequences of what they are doing, they cross two breeds together because they think the 'name' is funny or the dogs will look funny and have no thought as to what will happen, not just physically with physical attributes but mentally and emotionally too. If you cross two dogs with conflicting attributes then that dog will always be in a state of conflict with it's genes!!
Becky
Certain poodle breeders must tempted to make easy money out of oodles ..
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Pippam, I think you answered your own question really, you gave most of the reasons, the lack of health checks, the money involved and the general misunderstandings surrounding them.
I have always had rescues, so they have always been cross breeds. But these were before any of them were given silly names
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »