Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
quite agree. baby poo stains whether its primarche or gap!
Exactly!
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2011, 12:00 PM
For those who're looking over the fence at the Joneses:

- Not all the grand things other people appear to own are actually paid for. Personally, I'd rather have what I can afford, so I can sleep at night!

- Does the fact that they have a huge flatscreen telly and a new car mean they're happier people? Seriously: would you actually want to BE them? (Thought not! )

For what it's worth, a friend of mine gets disabled benefits and keeps a rescue dog and a pony. She keeps the pony in DIY livery at grass (£10 or so per week), barefoot trimming £20 every 6-8 weeks, dentist £30-50 once a year. Don't know about insurance, but I know he sees the vet when he needs to.

The animals are her lifeline, and the pony is the physio the NHS won't pay for, as the gentle riding keeps her spine supple (it's a gaited pony, in case anyone is concerned about riding after a spinal injury).

It really doesn't pay to get bitter about what other people are or own, pretend to be or claim to have. If you feel that strongly about the unfair benefits system, get in touch with 38 Degrees and start to shout at the government. Other than that, it's much more productive to look at the things you do and don't like about your own life and start to make a change there.

@spockky boy & Kerriebaby: We don't even have a telly! One of the best decisions we ever made!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
For those who're looking over the fence at the Joneses:

- Not all the grand things other people appear to own are actually paid for. Personally, I'd rather have what I can afford, so I can sleep at night!

- Does the fact that they have a huge flatscreen telly and a new car mean they're happier people? Seriously: would you actually want to BE them? (Thought not! )

For what it's worth, a friend of mine gets disabled benefits and keeps a rescue dog and a pony. She keeps the pony in DIY livery at grass (£10 or so per week), barefoot trimming £20 every 6-8 weeks, dentist £30-50 once a year. Don't know about insurance, but I know he sees the vet when he needs to.

The animals are her lifeline, and the pony is the physio the NHS won't pay for, as the gentle riding keeps her spine supple (it's a gaited pony, in case anyone is concerned about riding after a spinal injury).

It really doesn't pay to get bitter about what other people are or own, pretend to be or claim to have. If you feel that strongly about the unfair benefits system, get in touch with 38 Degrees and start to shout at the government. Other than that, it's much more productive to look at the things you do and don't like about your own life and start to make a change there.

@spockky boy & Kerriebaby: We don't even have a telly! One of the best decisions we ever made!
Excellent post.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm on benefits and have a large number of dogs, over the last couple of years I've had thousands stolen from me by lowlife scum so I am now down to the wire. My dogs will still come first and if I have to sell things to get them the treatment they need, should that be necessary, then I will. They get the best I can afford.
I don't smoke, drink, go clubbing or care that my clothes have holes in and I only have one pair of shoes, I only possess one item of jewellery. My dogs are what make me happy so that is where I spend my money. Without them I wouldn't be here today. They are my world and I love them more than anything else.
Because I'm on a limited income it means I go without food, I have lost 14 kilos so far, fortunately I needed it so if you want to lose weight, pay yourself 50 quid a week for everything other than the rent/mortgage and it'll fall away
Becky
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Its all about prioritising lol, listen to me...but its one of those things, my Emmas on benefits and paid money to loan a horse, she loved the horse and did without so she could ride, I say good luck to them !! x
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
Not sure I could live without TV Mondays and Wednesday are the best day for TV...And not forgetting Sunday on Five when they play lots of films

Although thats benifit of having internet so I could potentially watch most things on iplayer, 40D etc
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I learned a long time ago, you cannot change other people, but you CAN change your attitude to them, I then found life became a lot more harmonious and I was a lot more content.

As the old saying goes:

Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching
?
I think the attitude of " intolerance to scroungers" is worth catching to be honest.

We live in a society of cuts to health, amenities and benifits (for the needy) on a daily basis, old people being turned out of care homes, no housing for those who need it, (they go to immigrants and single young mothers) , people working and saving all their lives, and for our generation and those to come, will have to sell their homes or take out insurance, to ensure they get care in their old age.

Tell me its fair after having saved and worked all your life , to then have to sell your home from underneath you, if god forbid you or your spouse should need to be in residential care, whilst the layabout who has never worked a day in their lives will get it all for free.

You want to call that sour grapes SB, go ahead, I call it injustice.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 03:17 PM
so what would you have the single young (homeless) mothers do?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
so what would you have the single young (homeless) mothers do?
Not get pregnant in the first place, might be a start!!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 03:24 PM
ok...so young woman in stable relationship pops out 2 kids....oh dies/does a bunk...she cannot afford the rent...what then?
Page 8 of 19 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »