register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which CM methods do you use on your dog?
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise? 26 68.42%
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs? 7 18.42%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention? 1 2.63%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction? 0 0%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention 1 2.63%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction 1 2.63%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention 0 0%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction 0 0%
Do you use prong collars 0 0%
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar 0 0%
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear 0 0%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor 1 2.63%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression 1 2.63%
Do you alpha roll your dog? 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 27 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »
cordie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I realise this wasn't addressed to me, but am one of those on here who does behavioural work, and so wanted to reply

I can assure you that a very large majority of the dogs on CM are dogs which an ordinary US behaviourist could cope with and does, day in and day out

CM encourages aggression in the dogs by his body language and behaviour and equipment. A good behaviourist avoids winding a dog up, watches their and the dog's body language and does not get bitten, or hardly ever.

Apart form anything else, that puts a bite history on the poor dog!

Re equipment, they'd use items designed to control, calm, or manage, rather than anything which is designed to choke, wind up or make a dog fearful.

Clicker training can be used to great advantage in the rehabbing of many dogs...including working with aggression Don't fall into the trap of assuming (there is so much assuming on Dogsey at the moment!) that it is for tricks only.

Jolly glad to hear it

I personally try to comment on his methods, than the bloke himself.

Wys
x
Sorry wys, should have elaborated but was keeping it short, a lot of the dogs in cms pack, are collected from the dog pounds, they pass on to him dogs that are deemed not homeable, nobody wants them, he takes them on and at a later date he places them with people he thinks would be suitable for their "energy"
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I'm not going to keep going over and over tired old ground. Everything you have asked I have already repeated over and over in other posts. If you're really interested you can find my answers to your questions.
The reason I asked is because you directed quite an arrogant post to me, and in spite of that I quite pleasantly asked you to define more about your views and exactly what you refer to as what, simply so that I could debate better with you.

It's not "tired old ground" - it's lack of direct, succinct, communication on different posts which doesn't help.

You tend to write long descriptive posts where what you mean can get lost. You also use terms which could be viewed in several different ways. So how can I know what you are referring to when for instance you use the word "confrontation" yet you do not seem to be using such methods? and when you refer to dog trainers using punishment, which by your posts in the past you've seemed to mean something fairly strong/harsh, and yet your other posts don't seem to support that?

Dog training words can get confusing, and you can surely appreciate this? Is it not better to clarify politely, especially when you yourself have been debating so very much about training methods, positive trainers, CM, confrontation, etc.
You've not been backward in coming forward, you know!

If you don't clarify then I will have to guess which could lead to all sorts of misunderstandings.

And that's perfectly normal and healthy. Different strokes for different folks.
Yes - that's fine until you seem to argue that every owner who has used positive trainers/methods feels the same way!

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by cordie View Post
Sorry wys, should have elaborated but was keeping it short, a lot of the dogs in cms pack, are collected from the dog pounds, they pass on to him dogs that are deemed not homeable, nobody wants them, he takes them on and at a later date he places them with people he thinks would be suitable for their "energy"
No probs, I was talking about the dogs he visits who have owners mostly, the ones I have seen on the tv are those

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I watched a DW programme the other day, where CM tried the usual technique of getting the dog to mind him (as in the hand bite and the tssssstg) but the dog didn't take any notice, was too intent on getting at the passing dogs. CM said that when a dog doesn't take notice then you can offer something else to get the dogs notice. The owner said he liked cheese and CM happily used the cheese to take the dogs main interest from getting at passing dogs. So, although some of you diss him, he uses methods which work for the particular dog he is helping. I don't think enough credit is giving to CM for the way he helps dogs. There are too many waiting to string CM up, without actually taking into account all of the methods he actually uses; just focusing on the more contraversial methods he employs.

That isn't really giving CM a fair chance is it.
I think that is good CC I do, but the problem is it doesn't put aside what else he does. I can't forget that he chokes dogs and so on, and recommends what are dangerous methods (his more extreme ones).

I appreciate what you mean but (guess what? ) we will have to agree to disagree again

Wys
x
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I think that is good CC I do, but the problem is it doesn't put aside what else he does. I can't forget that he chokes dogs and so on, and recommends what are dangerous methods (his more extreme ones).

I appreciate what you mean but (guess what? ) we will have to agree to disagree again

Wys
x
We're making a habit of this agreeing to disagree business

I just brought that episode up because, tbh, I don't recall seeing CM work with treats/food in his training very often. I just thought how adaptable he can be and thought it worth posting about, just for those opposed to CM to see that he does adapt his methods to "fit" the dog he's working with.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 02:22 PM
The reason I asked is because you directed quite an arrogant post to me, and in spite of that I quite pleasantly asked you to define more about your views and exactly what you refer to as what, simply so that I could debate better with you.
And I pointed out that the answers to your questions (questions that have already been asked of me in earlier iterations of this circular debate) have already been given in other posts.

Read my answers. If you've got anything new to add to the debate then come back to me.
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 02:36 PM
You think wys should search through your posts in order to answer you? I'm sure she has MUCH better things to do then that!

So do you practice negative punishment or positive punishment? Direct question just to clear up confusion as I'm as confused as Wys is over your posts.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure that CM advocates punishment as such, now I'm confused
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
How can you practice something and not advocate using it?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2009, 02:43 PM
He punishes a dog every time he Alpha rolls one, every time he strings one up, every time he dishes out negative physical force.
Closed Thread
Page 20 of 27 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »