View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cordie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Yes, dudley is neutured too, the males make a big thing about it, the females love him , wanting to play fight, and he loves the ladies, and obliges them at all times, and a wrestling match ensues, i just wish the males could be as engaging,i just wonder if its a male testosterone thing?
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=MickB;1790156]Really interesting topic!

Human victimology studies tend to show that some people are much more likely to be bullied/assaulted/mugged than others and that this might be the result of a combination of body language and pheromones. As an example, I worked for 37 years as an outreach youth worker - walking the streets of our worst estates, making contact with drug users, criminals, gang members etc etc. In all that time I was never attacked or even threatened once. Some of my colleagues (who didn't last long in the job) were assaulted or threatened weekly - often by the same kids and often in much "safer" surroundings. Maybe there is a similar body language/pheromone mechanism in dogs which triggers attacks from other dogs.

That's interesting. You probably have a lot of confidence and confident body language, less likely to be picked on. Probably similar with dogs as my dog is submissive with other dogs but loves their company and they like him but because he is submissive maybe he is easily picked on. However, I still believe there were warning signs from the other dog.
cordie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Do the males "pick on" dudley cos hes neutured and lacks the male testosterone, the ladies certainly love him( no threat), does this make him a lower ranking male?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Dogs read body signals that are subtle and sometimes difficult to see unless you can watch it in slow motion. I agree that an unstable dog may be not able to 'talk dog' very well and that may unsettle other dogs - especially dogs with confidence problems - and may cause attacks - but they would have to be doing something - eye contact, fur position
There is an Akita in our street who gets lots of agression towards her - she is a big softy but she has been bred to walk very upright with alert ears and tail curled up over her back - she LOOKS agressive to other dogs
But she is never attacked without warning.

Scarter - what you talk about with your girl is her building up her warnings - and if she didnt draw blood then she was STILL warning - although you were right to step in

Dogs and wolves natural state is NOT to be agressive, wolves have been observed caring for the sick and I have even seen film of an alpha wolf tearing chunks off the kill and chucking them to another wolf - actually feeding a weaker dog.

At the moment Ben is v attentive to Mia and has been washing her wounds for her
When I was ill with a migraine and unable to get off the sofa with a towel over my head my dogs didnt try and attack me - they also didnt bug me to play or go outside or anything - they lay as close next to me as they could for the full day

Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Another thing that's popped into my head whilst reading all your comments about dogs reacting to anything abnormal...

My youngest boy gets on fine with other dogs. However, one peculiar thing is that whenever we bump into other dogs the males are VERY interested in sniffing him. They sniff for way too long and he gets uncomfortable about it. He'll often roll onto his back submissively. They keep sniffing and sometimes he'll growl or snap...or when he was younger he'd even whimper if it's a big adult male. We eventually started disallowing it - they could have a quick sniff and then we shoved them away. Our boy really didn't like it. But after the sniffing they'd get on fine.

We thought at first it was because he was neutered, but other neutered males do it to him too. It's nothing more than overly curious and extended sniffing. But only the boys do it to him.

Has anyone come across this?
Yes Scarter, I only heard about this when I was trying to find out what was going on with Ben
Sometimes a neutered male can smell (to dogs) a little like a bitch in heat and so they do get a bit pesterd by other dogs - even Ben gets fed up and chases dogs away from him when they sniff him too much so I do what you do - the other dog can have a polite sniff but then get lost
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
I am going to make one fairly short post and then exit.

Background:

Most of the dogs I am around are bred with getting along with other dogs a priority. They are placed in homes at 7 weeks and carefully socialized. This includes turning a dozen or more up to a year old loose in a fenced area under supervision. There is a lot of rough play and expressions of rank, but few attacks of any kind.

I was welcome to take our old, retired dog guide to the meetings too. She always enjoyed being around the other dogs. She paid little attention to them and they were happy to leave her alone. Even at a fragile 14 years old, she was never attacked.

So I say well balanced, nice dogs don't attack others without cause.
Cheyenne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Ref neutered males - these dogs do tend to get "picked" on by other intact or late neutered male's and loved by bitches, cos they know he is not a bitch, but also (in their world) not a male, they are a "nothing" and therefore a target too. Many dogs that are neutered lose confidence because of the lack of testosterone, more so if they are neutered at a young age. The best time, imo, to neuter a dog is when he is cocking his leg to pee, and has a good level of self confidence At the end of the day, the weak minded will always get bullied, it happens with people too.

I do not believe any dog attacks without warning, just because we do not see the warning, dont mean to say it wasnt given. Poorly socialized dogs may also miss these warnings too.
Cheyenne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
She paid little attention to them and they were happy to leave her alone. Even at a fragile 14 years old, she was never attacked.

So I say well balanced, nice dogs don't attack others without cause.
Do you think it might have been more down to the way she behaved around the other dogs i.e. her self confidence, aloofness etc, more than how the other dogs were??
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-10-2009, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
Hi Scarter,

I firmly believe that dogs DO NOT attack without warning. The signs are subtle, but they are there, other dogs certainly know how to read the signs and we should too.
I tend to agree with you, and so does scarter. She writes
"Now of course, you can argue that there would have been subtle signs that we all missed. That's probably the case. But certainly not clear warnings.[TO HUMANS.]" ...

In a park I used to go to, I was accused several times of CAUSING dog fights with dogs not mine own. People were looking around thinking their dogs were fine and I would announce 'FIGHT!' and a fight would ensue. They were entirely blind to what the dogs were projecting.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post
Many dogs that are neutered lose confidence because of the lack of testosterone, more so if they are neutered at a young age.
I've never found that to be true, nor do I see how you link testosterone with confidence - and what about females? . As far as confidence is concerned, both environmental and social, experience seems to trump any hormone.

The best time, imo, to neuter a dog is when he is cocking his leg to pee, and has a good level of self confidence
That's 8-10 weeks for every pup I've ever had. I've never associated it with confidence
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Yes, to clarify I think in all of these instances it was an attack waiting to happen and one that us as owners *should* have seen coming and avoided. It's not a lack of care but just a question of inexperience.

But once the damage had been done the attacks were quick, without provocation and without warning. In other words, the dogs didn't growl a warning and then attack when it was ignored - they just attacked. In most of these cases the poor dog that was attacked didn't even see it coming.
I wonder how the initial 'attacks' or 'warnings' were dealt with though? Were the dogs told off for it? If so...then that explains the silent attacks afterwards, as their natural urge to warn a dog off had been supressed..or even ignored?
Yes...totally a question of inexperience.

The dog that attacked Tango last week (nothing serious, lots of noise and teeth) was not an 'aggressive' dog (as the owner was quick to point out) but a spoilt dog...that had never been in a position where it wasn't 'rewarded' for leaping up and down at a stranger with treats...so it attacked Tango who was getting one for being calm around this dog that was leaping around her. The chances are it will do it again to another dog and I do wonder how long it will take the owner to cotton on and do something about it.

Another thing that's popped into my head whilst reading all your comments about dogs reacting to anything abnormal...

My youngest boy gets on fine with other dogs. However, one peculiar thing is that whenever we bump into other dogs the males are VERY interested in sniffing him. They sniff for way too long and he gets uncomfortable about it. He'll often roll onto his back submissively. They keep sniffing and sometimes he'll growl or snap...or when he was younger he'd even whimper if it's a big adult male. We eventually started disallowing it - they could have a quick sniff and then we shoved them away. Our boy really didn't like it. But after the sniffing they'd get on fine.

We thought at first it was because he was neutered, but other neutered males do it to him too. It's nothing more than overly curious and extended sniffing. But only the boys do it to him.

Has anyone come across this?
How old was he when he was neutered? I think that is what it is. A friend's FCR is constantly humped by other dogs...he has now started telling the dogs off but they are insistent. I've seen it happen. Bless him, a lot of them even ignore his warnings. He tries so hard to ignore them then...running for his ball with a small dog attached to his back leg. He was neutered quite young.
Cosmo was humped a lot when he was a teenager...he was lacking in a bit of social confidence as a result...a lot of male dogs just felt it was ok to hump him. (He is entire). Now he ahs matured it has, in the main stopped.Infact a persistent humper of all the other dogs we know doesn't come near him. That isn't to say that a much more confident dog wouldn't try it on...but ....

What I am trying to say is that I think young males are often neutered at a time that is totally wrong for them....it is during a fear period when they tend to be going through a crisis of confidence anyway...to then remove testosterone (let alone have their hormones surging for a few months post op) means they have an awful lot to deal with and I personally think that is why some of them end up being picked on all the time. It is something they just don't get over.
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
Really interesting topic!

Human victimology studies tend to show that some people are much more likely to be bullied/assaulted/mugged than others and that this might be the result of a combination of body language and pheromones. As an example, I worked for 37 years as an outreach youth worker - walking the streets of our worst estates, making contact with drug users, criminals, gang members etc etc. In all that time I was never attacked or even threatened once. Some of my colleagues (who didn't last long in the job) were assaulted or threatened weekly - often by the same kids and often in much "safer" surroundings. Maybe there is a similar body language/pheromone mechanism in dogs which triggers attacks from other dogs.

Mick
I think you are right Mick in a lot of ways. It is what I said about the confident dogs in the park earlier... The less confident dogs in the park are the ones that are floored by the more confident 'gangs' of dogs that are excited by being in the park!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »