View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Again thankyou very much for all your replies, and I have noted that some of you have indeed witnessed speys being done and are very anti key hole, is this because of lack of understanding to the key hole surgery its self, have any of you actually been in the operating theatre witnessing the key hole surgery and witnessed the reasons you believe not to go there, as it is it is very difficult up here to find a vet who has the knowledge to actually do key hole surgery.
If most of the nurses go on hear say and word of mouth then I'm sorry to say but your experience is as limited as mine.
I definately do not want to put my wee one through another pain full operation, with a large scar and at least 10 days worth of seepage, possible infection, swelling and a whole sense of feeling absolute crap...I know there is risks, but the risk of Toro opening a 3 inch wound is far more likely than the key hole, I have spoke to the vet who does it, and like any vet will tell me what he thinks I want to hear, from his point of view it all sounds brilliant.
I haven't made my mind up yet and have a few more weeks to think about it.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Tala went to Ayrton vets in Midlothian who have been using this procedure for years. Why don't you ring them up and have a chat?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow, I really wanna meet and slap the vet who did Mia

He cut was about 8 inches long and even now 2 years on you can really feel the internal stitches

Not to mention the fact that the day after she was put in theback of a transit van for 24 hours to transport to me (I didnt know about the op till I got her) and she didnt pee for the full 24 hours didnt get her pain meds or ab's
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

He cut was about 8 inches long and even now 2 years on you can really feel the internal stitches

Not to mention the fact that the day after she was put in theback of a transit van for 24 hours to transport to me (I didnt know about the op till I got her) and she didnt pee for the full 24 hours didnt get her pain meds or ab's
the size of the incision may be because he needed a better view for some reason,internal stitches can and do take years to go, they have an important job to do..and abs shouldnt be needed for a routine spay...bummer bout the painkillers tho but tbf most dogs only need them for the day of and maybe 24hours after.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
the size of the incision may be because he needed a better view for some reason,internal stitches can and do take years to go, they have an important job to do..and abs shouldnt be needed for a routine spay...bummer bout the painkillers tho but tbf most dogs only need them for the day of and maybe 24hours after.
Yup true I did think there may have been some reason - tbh until I came on this thread I didnt realise 8 inches was not what all dogs had

I dont really know what is and isnt usual cos she is my only girl but the pack she came with had ab's and painkillers with advice saying she should have had them the day before

Glad the internal stitches are normal then, when my own vet felt them he just looked and said 'ohh thats odd' and noone I know can still feel them in their bitch

Nice to know its not totaly abnormal guess just not what is done around here so it looks and feels very odd
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

Trip had a Hernia removed at the same time and had a rather longer than usual scar as well.

I could feel her internal stitches for ages.

I have not have a bitch have any pain meds other than what she has been given at the time.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Recently my oldie (9.5) has been spayed. My vet was going to try the keyhole method as we thought the recovery would be quicker but he found that she had cysts on her ovaries so reverted to the usual op. and took everything out. She was a bit groggy when I picked her up but the next day back to normal, left the wound (which was small) alone and had disolvable stitches so nothing more to do. He also repaired her hernia and I think the bill was about £250 which was cheaper than the keyhole method.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Tala went to Ayrton vets in Midlothian who have been using this procedure for years. Why don't you ring them up and have a chat?
Thats where she will be going, I have phoned them back, they seem very nice, more than willing to make sure Toro is well catered for, I have told them how scared she is and my worries...as with any vet, we have to put our trust in them with our animals,I'll be taking Toro through for a visit first...
I have spoken to a lot of people about this procedure...one person, very high up in the NHS said the only draw back to key hole is, some people go in expecting key hole but for some reason or another it doesn't work for them and they end up with the regular surgery...
He reckons it must be much the same for animals.
Thankyou, its nice to hear some one knows of the same place x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:24 AM
As you have said Elaine, we have to put out trust in vets. Also you do get a feeling as to whether you feel comfortable with a particular vet or not. Good luck decision making and hugs to your girl xxxxxxx
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3