View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Can anyone recommend a calming supplement?

Was considering using a calming supplement for Noah (Saluki x greyhound).
He has improved in lots of ways but something just to take the edge off his nervoussness may be worth considering now. Its not that one thing makes him nervous, he is just generally jumpy and wish he would relax more...tho he is fast asleep on the sofa at the moment lol

Does anyone use anything such as "calm eze" all the time and have you noticed any difference?
Thanks in advance x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Was considering using a calming supplement for Noah (Saluki x greyhound).
He has improved in lots of ways but something just to take the edge off his nervoussness may be worth considering now. Its not that one thing makes him nervous, he is just generally jumpy and wish he would relax more...tho he is fast asleep on the sofa at the moment lol

Does anyone use anything such as "calm eze" all the time and have you noticed any difference?
Thanks in advance x
Have you had him checked over by a vet to determine if there is an underlying condition responsible for his behaviour?

For example, has his thyroid been checked?

What is his diet exactly?

There are a number of way to manipulate the diet to optimise calmness.

Flower essences

Flower essences sometimes need to be combined to give the right effect (for some dogs it has no effect) but you MUST have correctly identified the triggers of the unwanted behaviour, and for that you do need a) someone other than yourself usually who is a skilled observer and b) someone who understands the correct use of Flower Essences.

I would also look at Rescue Recovery plus.

Hilton Herbs and Dorwest Herbs both do supplements that may help some dogs eg Tranquillity and Tranquillity Gold by Hilton Herbs and Scullcap and Valerian by Dorwest.

These are herbal calmers which may or may not affect your dog, you need to be realistic about their effect.

Have you considered Magnesium?

Nupafeed have an excellent product called Stressless which may be beneficial to your dog. It is not a drug and is a mineral that the body needs and can usually get from food although some dogs require MORE, it has been used successfully in horses for years.

You may also wish to consider 5 HTP, which contains a form of tryptophan which is a precursor to serotonin as a regular supplement.

Let me know if you wish to know more
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks thats all really interesting.
Its not that he has "unwanted behaviour" as such. Just feel if he had the edge taken off him he would generally be happier. He finds it hard to relax, especially when my husband is home. He was severely badly treated, obviously by men. We have and are working on other ways to build the bond between him and my OH but was also thinking of a supplement. He is a happy dog though, its hard to explain!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Generally speaking if this "edge" is associated with bad experiences a calming supplement can put the dog in a position to learn and thus receptive to behviour modification which could include for example desensitisation and counter conditioning techniques to enable your dog to see the presence of your husband as a "whoopee" moment rather than an "oops" moment.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I tried L-theanine with Raz but it didn`t make any difference.
A DAP diffuser seemed to help an old foster girl settle - but then, she might have done that anyway.
I think a calm house and time is probably your best bet.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Dorwest Scullcap and Valerian I found very good in the past. At the right dose is none drowsey and was very good for fireworks and travelling.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:06 AM
CSJ (the dog food company) do something called Calm down, from what I read it was all natural and had bits of this and that in, so something is bound to work. We used it on a rescue dog we took on for a while and well it really had an effect, it wasn't enough for us to be able to help him (just too busy a house). But I would really recommend the stuff! It took a while to kick in but in just over a month he would finally sleep while we were home, something which seemed to be getting worse with time before the supplement.