Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kachinas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Bitch won't mate

Hi, can anyone give me some advise please?
I have a bitch that is nearly 4years old, and I'm trying to mate her, but she just sits down or lays down when the dog tries to mount her!
She acts as though she is ready, she is on day 8 of her season, could it be that it is too early? last season I tried from day 11, but no luck then either.
She has been checked by the vets and they can see no reason that she won't mate, I am at a loss of what to do.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 10:59 PM
She may be too early, can you get her pre-mate tested at your vet to see how close she is to ovulating? Also, has she been mated before or is she a maiden bitch? If maiden, then you might need two people to assist, one to hold the bitch in place, the other to help the dog, some maiden bitches just won't stand no matter what..

Is the stud dog proven? If so then he should know when she's ready, if not, then he might just try to mount her at any time, not necessarily the right time.

Not wishing to sound rude, but have you had experience with mating dogs before? as it's not always as easy as people like to think.
kachinas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi Thank you for your reply,
she is a maiden bitch, and the stud is proven.
I've been to the vets and she has had a test done this morning, so should get the results back tomorrow, I'm taking her back to the stud dog on friday, she will be on day 10 then.
The stud dog was trying so hard bless him, and seemed confused as to why she kept standing for him but then laying down.
maybe it's just too early?
thanks again x
Arctic Ruth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2008, 05:20 PM
My bitch was mated at day 18 so don't worry too much, sounds like she may not be ready. I've known some bitches wait until day 21.

I used my own dog who was proven. YOu may need to steady her when the time comes.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Don't know where you are but know a great man in Stafford!
chopperlodge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Just mated my bitch today and she's day 15. Just remember that they are all different and can even differ from season to season. Know of someone who's bitch got mated on day 23 and another on day 27.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-01-2008, 10:58 AM
We had one bitch who didn't mate until day 48 - it cost the owner a fortune as he had to keep going back to the vets for testing. More recently, we had a bitch in who was 10 days when she arrived, but our dog showed no interest whatever until 17 days. He then mated her for 5 consecutive days.
From what I gather, most bitches are ready for mating between 10 and 13 days - obviously this isn't always the case.

Mick