Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcggnbambi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Giving dogs human supplements?

I am introducing a second dog into our home and the foster carers have suggested giving our dog Bach Rescue Remedy or vitamin B tablets to help him cope with any stress.

I am unsure about using human products for my dogs. Has anyone heard of this before?

The other one I have recently heard of is giving dogs powdered glucosamine. But I know there are specific products for dogs that target healthy joints, so are people using human stuff because it's safe also or just cheaper?

Obviously I want to do anything to help my dog with any stress or anxiety he may have but my vet knows the situation and hasn't suggested anything like that...

Would I be better off just sticking to making sure he has his usual routine and is still getting lots of love and attention?
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I give glucosamine/chondroitin to one of mine, and also kelp tablets in their blended veggie mix sometimes. I've also given rhus-tox before, to help ease the symptoms of pano, and have definitely heard of several other supplements including Bach Rescue Remedy. I know several people who regularly advise on giving a dog benylin to help it get through kennel cough, although I think I'd prefer honey, a bit more natural, luckily I've never had to use it yet....... (touch wood).
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
My vets said human-grade supplements are fine for dogs, and worked out the dose for me when my dog was on a range of supplements for her hip dysplasia problems. Some people argue that they're not as digestible as dog-specific supplements but I could definately see some of them working (e.g. devil's claw visibly lowered her pain levels/made her visibly less stiff). You need to do some research - e.g. glucosamine comes in different versions, glucosamine sulfate isn't meant to be as effective as glucosamine hydrochloride.

There are pet products to help with stress though - e.g. pheromone products like the DAP sprays, plug-ins and collars, and Beaphar do a cheaper (but more concentrated/effective, apparently) version too. There's a milk protein product, Zylkene, which is a tablet and that's supposed to help with stress. Dogs react differently to different products so you should probably trial anything out before you get the new dog, some people do find their dog reacts badly to these products and gets more agitated instead of relaxed, so worth a trial run.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 10:58 AM
I would be a bit careful about giving a dog something in the way of drugs, supplements, complementary therapies etc that are meant for humans.

Whilst glucosamine itself probably won't do any harm (& may do some good), it's the other things that are added to human supplements that can cause harm or allergic reactions. Some glucosamine capsules includes fish products in the capsules, some contain "filler" or other ingredients that may ot be suitable for animals.

But Bach Flower Remedies & most complementary therapies from reputable sources are ok. Bach Flower Remedies can be added to water for helping plants, fish, animals & humans & there are no adverse side effects provided you stick to the dosage recommended. The only possible adverse side effect of BFR could be the grape alcohol that the remedies are preserved in ~ but you'd probably need to drink near on several bottles to feel the effect!

I would happily give rescue remedy to a rescue dog coming to a new home to help it overcome any stress or anxiety. In fact we put it in our dog's water bowls when we go on holiday to cottages, just in case they are worried about their new surroundings. But anything else & I'd want to know exactly what's included.

Best of luck with your new dog ~ hope all goes well