Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 10:22 AM

Racism or Cultural Stereotype

After the CBB race row it got me thinking of the somewhat fine line between Racism or Cultural Stereotype. One case being i was made a joke to a scotsman about him not having ginger hair and being sober, this was taken in good humour but another friend pointed out there are people out there who would have kicked up a fuss about this and would have called me racist..

My question is where do you draw the line, Do we stop joking about all italians eating pizza and pasta, the french being uptight and arrogant, the scots being drunk, do we also take offence that the aussies call us whingers and the americans think we are all toffs who drink tea all day.

Then there are regional stereotypes. I know the cases i have said are more about different nations rarther what people consider another race (there all white) but is making jokes about one nation the same or worse than a joke regarding someones skin.

I am just wondering everyones thoughts on this.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I think its a fine line to be honest - I'd hate to see us all getting too pc and I often think humour is the best way to bridge gaps but at the same time what I find funny may upset others ..so I don't know
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 12:17 PM
If I were to sue everytime I was called "Jock" or whatever, I'd be a millionaire by now..... hmmmm maybe not a bad idea

Seriously though, I think a lot of the government/council initiatives and interferance just makes it worse. A lot of people who would not otherwize have much thought for it, can and probably do become bitter about all the fuss and the, what is it thay call it... positive descrimination.. think thats what it's called
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Personally i wouldnt call an irish person a mick, or a scottish peron a jock etc because i dont want to be called a derogative name as i wouldnt like it!

What really annoys me is people cant grasp that Asians, Black People, Jewish People etc have had alot of evil happen to them and have been repressed and still are because they have different colour skin, they have a different faith and come from a different country! Black slavery may have happened many years ago, but many in Britian, Germany, America, Australia etc still treat these people like they are nothing! 6 million Jews were killed for having dark skins, eyes and hair and this was less that 65 years ago and then Jewish people who survied the holocaust are and were treated like scum!
Asians come in for a very hard time in this country and why? because they have different skin colour, faith and culture! Yet i have been in Curry Houses, Kebab shops and You get some drunk person come in and be racist to them! It makes me see red, you dont like these people but you will eat thier food! How does this make sense!
Racist people are the scum of this earth, Racism leads to Black Slavery, Holocausts etc!

I dont agree with any racism from any colour, faith or culture towards a different one from them! Its out of order and its about time people start seeing a person for a person, not where they are from and what they look like!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I agree Hayley! We haven't moved far enough away from the worst kind of predjudice to be able to make light of it.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
Personally i wouldnt call an irish person a mick, or a scottish peron a jock etc because i dont want to be called a derogative name as i wouldnt like it!
I think in these sort of instances.. it's not what said but more how it's said. I'm quite happy to be called Jock if it's said in the proper way... a bit of fun and banter... If it's said in a nasty way then yeah I'd perhaps take it a bit more personal.. and lamp em

I think it would be a sad state of affairs if we couldn't have a wee bit of banter with eachother and have to walk on eggshells with people for fear of being called racist.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I think it depends if it's derogative or not, and how well you know the person.

If you are very pally with someone, and you know they won't take offence, you can go further up the line. However, if you're practically strangers, the last thing you want to do is risk offending someone by taking the p out of where they come from.

Unfortunately many people lack common sense and we need people of higher intelect to remind those dumbos whats acceptable and what's not
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I think it depends if it's derogative or not, and how well you know the person.

If you are very pally with someone, and you know they won't take offence, you can go further up the line. However, if you're practically strangers, the last thing you want to do is risk offending someone by taking the p out of where they come from.

Unfortunately many people lack common sense and we need people of higher intelect to remind those dumbos whats acceptable and what's not
Absolutely I think I'd miss all the banter with all you English peeps... and Welsh of course...
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 08:48 PM
I understand your point ian, but i think certain words cannot be made light of because of the meaning of why these terms came about!
The same with people with a disability, its makes me sick when people joke about this

I dont walk on egg shells, ive been called, kyke, dirty jew,h because im israeli and born there i have had alot of abuse for this and for that reason alone i would never be racist as i know how it feels to have rasicm directed at me
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Im not sure why its excepted for british people. to called each other, micks, jocks, taffy, (not sure of the term used for white people by british people?)
But when someone for another culture and colour makes racist terms towards someone it does become on another level!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >