Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Really Struggling

After getting through her 2nd tail op on friday, i had to take my girl to the vet again today to get it looked at,she gets not surprisingly incredibly stressed at going to the vet and just getting her through the door is a tug of war.. The vet has attached the tube type thing to her tail again to let the air get to it and to keep it protected.. I literally had to pull and lift her body into the house as she refuses to move with something on her tail, she is 32 kilos and we have 20 steps up to our house so it took me a good 15 mins to get her through the front door today, now she will not go into the garden to do her business and just stands on the spot..I am really struggling as this is her fourth op this year, two knee ops & now two tail ops plus two infections related to both ops.. I dont really expect any advice as we have to just try and get through this latest op but i am finding it really difficult today, think its all got on top of me... I wonder if i have the unluckiest dog and if anyone else has had so many probs in one year with such a young dog...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Hugs... hope things get better soon... It would seem your having a horrid year... xx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Aww really sorry to hear you are struggeling.

My experiences aren't with a young dog but hopefully the antics of my dear old Lenny will make you smile.

When we got him at ten years old he had had four homes, had had his front teeth kicked out and was called lucky. We changed his name to Len and in the ten years we had him (yes he lived to 20 somehow) he had so many accidents.

- ran into a barb wire fence and tore his tear duct introducing an infection that almost turned him blind.

- hit barb wire running countless of times resulting in stitches.

ate whoknows what on a number of occasions, swoll up like a barage balloon and had to have liquid parafin enemas!

- snapped his cruciate ligament at 16

- impailed himself on a iron railing at 18 years old. SPike went in by his ribs and came put 8 inches further along between his leg where his nuts would have been if he hadn't been castrated!

Hopefully this will be a one off for your dog.
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Hello catrinsparkles

Thanks for that you have made me feel heaps better, looks like i could have loads more to look forward to.. We are at the moment out vets most regular customer
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Micky View Post
Hello catrinsparkles

Thanks for that you have made me feel heaps better, looks like i could have loads more to look forward to.. We are at the moment out vets most regular customer
I really hope not - Lenny was a liability from the day we brought him home from the rescue centre! A laugh a minute as well though. On one of the swelling up days he was fed three washing soda tablets to try to make him sick - alll he would do was burp.....this is the dog who would usually through up at the drop of a hat! I was sent home with a tape measure to measure his girth every hour..........i remember it vividly as it was the early hours of 23rd december, my birthday!
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I really hope not - Lenny was a liability from the day we brought him home from the rescue centre! A laugh a minute as well though. On one of the swelling up days he was fed three washing soda tablets to try to make him sick - alll he would do was burp.....this is the dog who would usually through up at the drop of a hat! I was sent home with a tape measure to measure his girth every hour..........i remember it vividly as it was the early hours of 23rd december, my birthday!
Aaaahh you must have loved him loads, sounds like he was a real character... Cannot try as i may coax my dog into the garden, she has not been out since coming back from the vets at 8.30 this morning, she is so nervous about whats on her tail, she is really holding onto to her bowels and bladder.. Dont know how she manages it..
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Micky View Post
Aaaahh you must have loved him loads, sounds like he was a real character... Cannot try as i may coax my dog into the garden, she has not been out since coming back from the vets at 8.30 this morning, she is so nervous about whats on her tail, she is really holding onto to her bowels and bladder.. Dont know how she manages it..
Aww - can you distract her with treats? Suspect you have already tried that.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Would she not respond to bribery like something she really really likes held in front of her nose to get her to move ? Maybe cheese ?

One of my whippets was never away from the vets when she was about 2 . She was always ripping hreself open and getting stitched or injuring herself crashing into things .
When she was 2 she got polyarteritis and nearly died .
She is now 15 so don't give up hope
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Aww really sorry to hear you are struggeling.

My experiences aren't with a young dog but hopefully the antics of my dear old Lenny will make you smile.

When we got him at ten years old he had had four homes, had had his front teeth kicked out and was called lucky. We changed his name to Len and in the ten years we had him (yes he lived to 20 somehow) he had so many accidents.

- ran into a barb wire fence and tore his tear duct introducing an infection that almost turned him blind.

- hit barb wire running countless of times resulting in stitches.

ate whoknows what on a number of occasions, swoll up like a barage balloon and had to have liquid parafin enemas!

- snapped his cruciate ligament at 16

- impailed himself on a iron railing at 18 years old. SPike went in by his ribs and came put 8 inches further along between his leg where his nuts would have been if he hadn't been castrated!

Hopefully this will be a one off for your dog.

poor old. lucky len....
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
poor old. lucky len....
Amazing he lived so long!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >