Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2015, 09:39 AM

Who has a Kindle?

What is the cost of downloading a book?
Do you have the book forever on your device?
Where do you choose your books from?

As you can tell I know nuffink but considering it. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2015, 09:50 AM
I have the app on my laptop, prices of books vary from free to whatever, you can delete books once you've read them or decided it's rubbish. I use Amazon, use it for most things and downloaded the app for free on Amazon.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-12-2015, 09:58 AM
You can download books from the Google Play Store or Apple if you've got an Ipad or phone, so you don't need a Kindle.
Some books are free, I have downloaded the odd free book, but still buy paperbacks usually
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2015, 12:35 PM
I love my Kindle, but I do read a lot.

Prices vary, but I rarely buy books tending instead to go for the free ones on Amazon.

When you delete on the kindle the book goes into a sort of archive library so you can retrieve them at a later time if you want to go back and re-read
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Or you can store them to the cloud and they don't use up space on your device
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2015, 12:51 PM
June - are you and your pack OK with this dreadful weather? If you need somewhere to stay because you are waterlogged, text or email me - I can accommodate 2 legged and 4 legged animals!!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2015, 12:57 PM
i have the kindle app on my ipod, my phone and i have a kindle tablet, i don't pay for books....i just look for the free ones, as far as i am aware you can keep the book for good...obviously there is a limited space for you to store books but you can keep a lot of books on most devices. I get my books through amazon and i am looking at getting prime which will give me even more books for free Lol. to me i still prefer the holding of a "proper" book but the portability factor is very very good, having the app on my phone means i always have something to do when i am having to hang about and wait places
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-12-2015, 01:23 PM
I have a Kindle - I love it!

What is the cost of downloading a book?

Depends on the book - but they are usually cheaper than the printed version. Also there are lots that are free and if you join Amazon 'Prime' you can even do things like lend books.

Do you have the book forever on your device?

If it's one you have bought, or a free one, yes. I am not sure about the ones you can borrow but I imagine those are only borrowed for a limited time.

Where do you choose your books from?

Any publisher who says they have a Kindle version (or .mobi is the actual file type). However, the best place for you will probably be the Amazon.co.uk store - they even deliver directly to your Kindle!

Kindle App

As some have already mentioned, you can also download the Kindle App onto things like your computer, iPad, tablet etc - this will let you read Kindle books on these devices. However, the best thing about a Kindle is the Kindle itself - reading on it is nothing like a tablet or PC because of the technology used to display the pages is very different. Reading on a Kindle is MUCH nicer, and does not fatigue the eyes that PCs and tablets do (because they have LCD screens).

If you want to read more than one book a year - I highly recommend a Kindle
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-12-2015, 01:24 PM
I still like the possession of a nice thick paperback, in fact I tend to choose them on the basis of their thickness, a thin one isn't worth the money. If I am in a charity shop where they do several for 99p or whatever I look at the title, if I fancy it, I see how thick it is, if its a skinny one, then I discard it.
Nikki we've missed the flooding in the village because we're in the old bit which were built to miss the Irwell flooding. Red alert today but river level is normal at the moment, sandbag filling going on where the houses flooded on Boxing Day though (the proper Boxing Day on Saturday that is)
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2015, 02:02 PM
TW that is what I have always said and I have refused to read books on a "device"!
However I now think that reading on a well lit screen that I can enlarge might be easier.
Sooooo, I have been looking around, looking at Kindles etc and books, free, and to buy.
Then.....I found that I have a Kindle app all ready to be down loaded on my new tablet. Hahaha off we go then!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >