Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GoldenGirls
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2011, 10:54 PM

Annual vaccinations Help!

Holly & Lola are now due their boosters.
Having read recently in a doggy magazine that yearly boosters are not neccessary and they are actually harming our dogs has worried me.
Basically through all the scientific jargon they are saying vets and pharmacutical companies are making money out of us for no reason and that as long as your dog was vaccinated as a pup there is no need for boosters. If you wanted peace of mind every 3yr boosters would be good enough.
Some of the problems the yearly boosters can cause are awful ie: diabeties,liver problems,epilepsy etc etc. the list goes on.
I would appreciate your views on this confusing subject.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 11:00 PM
My vet says that there are things covered by vaccinations that run out yearly. It is really difficult, imo, to know what to do with all the differing views out there. Good luck making a decision xxx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by GoldenGirls View Post
Holly & Lola are now due their boosters.
Having read recently in a doggy magazine that yearly boosters are not neccessary and they are actually harming our dogs has worried me.
Basically through all the scientific jargon they are saying vets and pharmacutical companies are making money out of us for no reason and that as long as your dog was vaccinated as a pup there is no need for boosters. If you wanted peace of mind every 3yr boosters would be good enough.
Some of the problems the yearly boosters can cause are awful ie: diabeties,liver problems,epilepsy etc etc. the list goes on.
I would appreciate your views on this confusing subject.
Before making a decision consider the following:

Most vacciantion protocols are now on three yearly cycles
Some vaccinations need to be done annually eg lepto
Failure to have your dog vaccinated will mean that if you have insurance your dog will NOT be covered if it develops any disease which could have been prevented by inoculation

It will also mean that, with a very few exceptions, you will be unable to board your dog with any licensed kennels should the need arise (remember you may not plan it but something may come up)

Some dog clubs and some competitions run by some dog clubs do not allow unvaccinated dogs to participate

On the other hand you can have your dog titre tested for your own peace of mind (this is controversial with people falling into two camps of whether or not it is valid)

you could apply homeopathic nosodes but even homoeopathic vets agree that this is a) not the use of homeopathy and b) they do not provide protection

So really like anything else you need to understand

a) the protocols for various inoculations
b) the risks

before you decide what is best for your dogs and you
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:01 AM
It's a really personal decision, just read up all you can and you'll come to a decision.

Think insurance - they won't be covered for the diseases the vaccine could have covered, but still covered for everything else. Think kennelling - a lot of kennels won't take unvaccinated dogs, mine go to a top breeders that DO take them though - she doesn't vaccinate her dogs . But overall, think of the health of your dog, prevention? or the opposite?

My Zeke has cancer, i've learnt a lot... I'll never annually booster my dogs again, ever. I have them annually titre tested, expensive (£120 each, it's just not popular enough to be any cheaper here in the uk) but having a dog with an incurable cancer, i'll pay what I have to to protect them xxxx
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post

Think insurance - they won't be covered for the diseases the vaccine could have covered, but still covered for everything else.
But check this with your insurance because with some companies all your insurance becomes invalid if you do not vaccinate.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:44 AM
It's a really tricky one - I wrestled with it for ages before finally deciding not to let Dex have the annual vaccinations.

There are several things to consider. For me, the clincher was observing how intensely Dex responded to medications; anti biotics and anti inflammatories totally knocked him out. If he'd been a huge chunky dog who wasn't affected by the meds then maybe I might have decided differently re the vaccs.

Some of the vaccs don't even last a year, so even dogs who have them can still fall prey to the diseases they're meant to be prevent.

All you can do is read around the topic and then make the best decision you can. Might also be worth speaking to your vet and getting their opinion - though most vets will recommend you do have the annual vaccs. Mine was great and stayed on the phone with me for over half an hour while we debated the various issues.

Good luck!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 08:25 AM
With most companies, insurance only becomes invalid on that illnesses that would have been prevented by vaccination. I have never had my dogs boostered as I don`t see why the antibodies produced should disappear after a year.
Two companies I was with were happy to accept homeopathic nosoding. (Which, incidentally, I don`t believe in either but it was a better option)
With viral illnesses, like lepto - I would only vaccinate if there was an outbreak - and in that case would want toknow if the vaccine covered the particular strain in my area. Incidentally, Lepto vaccine is only effective for 6-9 months.
Old or unhealthy dogs should not be vaccinated, we are told by the vet. Why? If it`s a shock to the immune system for an old dog, as far as I`m concerned, it`s similar shock for a youg one.
I have no problem with the first vaccination - I simply don`t believe it is necessary to boost them yearly - especially in view of the fact the manufacturers now recommend only vaccination in 3-yearly cycles.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Pereg has full booster shots every year, and the rabies shot a minimum of four weeks later. There are far too many unvaccinated dogs around, even though the rabies shot is mandatory as rabies is endemic here, to risk her catching something from them.

In addition the Pension will not take an unvaccinated dog and request sight of the dog's medical card to confirm the shots are up to date. Even Pereg's dog trainer will not work with an unvaccinated dog, especially as he frequently brings one of his with him.

Do the booster shots cause problems? Pereg was at the Vet surgery on 10 April when she was diagnosed with epilepsy, and while we were there Dr Ram opened her file on his computer to fill in the details of her weight, the diagnosis and medication prescribed for it, and saw that her annual boosters were due three weeks later.

So while we were there she was given the boosters to save him having to come out here to give them. She also had her two Drontal tablets, also three weeks early [I have the two to give her in October].

I honestly do not think that he would have given Pereg the booster shot having just diagnosed her with epilepsy, if he had even the slightest doubt about any possible danger to her.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Check this out, lots of info about booster vaccs:

http://www.krisannrio.com/vaccinationso.htm
GoldenGirls
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Thank you everyone, It is interesting to read all your opinions on this subject.

I think i will look a little further into the pro's & con's of boosters and also how it affects my insurance before taking both my dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >