Our sister sites
Our sister sites
a.j
New Member!
Male 

27-05-2009, 03:45 AM

2 Large Cysts

ON A DOGS BACK...

I'me taking a french mastiff in & the owner has offered to pay for the removal of said objects. I feel I should go halves before I take the dog on & I will be getting isnurance when I do...but how much can I expect to pay for the op?

Cheers.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi there.

Unfortunately its not as simple as that - it very much depends on what these growths actually are.

Why not take the dog into the vets to get an opinion regarding the cysts?
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by a.j View Post
I feel I should go halves before I take the dog on & I will be getting isnurance when I do
Insurance companies won't pay out for pre-existing conditions
a.j
New Member!
Male 

27-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Insurance companies won't pay out for pre-existing conditions

Yeah I know that. I'll be getting insurance anyway..How can a vet charge different prices for different cysts? It's like charging a different price for changing a tyre on your car because it had a different kind of puncture..
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah I know that. I'll be getting insurance anyway..How can a vet charge different prices for different cysts? It's like charging a different price for changing a tyre on your car because it had a different kind of puncture..
What I meant is that 'cyst' can cover a range of growths. Some may be 'floating' fatty lumps just under the skin, others may be fatty lumps which are attached and of course there is also the possibility of cancerous growths.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi aj there are a number of factors to take into consideration here, the age and health of the dog, the size, position and nature of the cysts.
A vet will be able to give you a rough idea of the cost once once he has seen them and taken some details .

If as you say the current owner is willing to pay why don't you allow them to do so, they may have existing insurance anyway.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2009, 03:14 PM
My Kali (then 14 y.o. BC) had two cysts removed from his bum last year, but they were testosterone-driven and the vet had to castrate him as well to prevent a recurrence. This, of course, pushed the price up.

Snorri
a.j
New Member!
Male 

31-05-2009, 07:36 AM
got quoted £250, plus £50 for diagnosis. also found out she's going thru a phantom pregnancy, yielding milk etc & was told spaying is the best option...so more expense! still i dont care, she's lovely!!