Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chrissyjay1
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Could it be Mange??!!

Hi.
I have a 9 month old Douge (Ralfy) He has recently been getting 'dandruff' on his back and after looking closer I was horrified to see redness, sores and scales on his skin in this area. I bathed him in cool water and gently rubbed Aloe Vera dog shampoo on the area. This took down the redness straight away, but the flaking was as bad as ever! So I applied Extra Virgin olive oil on the area to 'moisturise' He has it in his ears also, and the wax is horrifying! After many an hour looking online the words 'mange' kept coming up. So if anyone has encountered these symptoms before on their dog please help!

Cheers, Christina
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2009, 12:21 PM
My middle Setter, Rusty, had something similar to what you describe. The vets diagnosed it as sarcoptic (fox) mange. He also had a very small bit of hair loss but it did grow back.

I can't remember exactly what he was treated with but we were also advised to use Advocat Spot On (which we alternate with Frontline).

Hope this helps & gets better soon.

Regards, Karen
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 12:52 PM
it could be flea allergy, mange or any skin infection / parasite. Why not ask the vet to test it?

eta: Stronghold (spot on) will treat mange and ear mites but it needs be prescribed by a vet.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 01:24 PM
It could be Chyletiell or flea allergy but it could also be a choice of 101 other things, a trip to the vet is the place to start. Best not to let skin problems to get a hold because they can be the very devil to get on top of.
chrissyjay1
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the advice all! Also I am wanting to speak to anyone who has Douge De Bordeux, ask their advice, I'm am unsure of how to do this.

Chris
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by chrissyjay1 View Post
Thanks for the advice all! Also I am wanting to speak to anyone who has Douge De Bordeux, ask their advice, I'm am unsure of how to do this.

Chris
If you post this in the Dog Breeds Chat section under the relevant breed, I am sure you will get some Bordeux replies

I certainly would be taking him to the vet, he will perhaps do a skin scrape to ascertain the cause if it isn't apparent on examination.
sonny
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2009, 07:55 PM
i had the same problem with my dog sonny, took him to the vet, and it was due to fleas so i had frontline, and it worked wonders.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by chrissyjay1 View Post
Chris
Hi Chrissy irrespective of the breed I think you would be wise to see the vet particularly if your dogs ears are affected .
Sometimes dogs can have a minor skin problem which becomes infected with bacteria and it is very important to get this treated or it can become difficult to treat if left. Some skin iconditions are transmissible to humans so again best to get your dog checked by the vet ASAP .
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Agree Mini, it needs a vet and may well have nothing to do with the breed, skin problems need prompt action as one minor condition can lead to any number of secondary conditions which are then hard to diagnose and difficult to treat. Don't wait any longer if you have not yet seen a vet do so today.

Please remember it does not matter what your dogs have had even if they are the same breed, a dog with a health problem should see a vet, and skin problems are a health problem.

It is fine to give your experiences but we are not vets and even if we were we can't diagnose over the Internet.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 09:10 AM
It sounds like he needs to see a vet as must be uncomfortable and can probably be fixed with some Maleseb shampoo which is amazing stuff and gives instant relief and some advocate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >