Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Antihistamines that are safe for dogs

I spoke with my vets about this recently- the only "human"antihistamine that is safe for dogs- for things like hives/insect bites/allergic reactions- for when u can't get straight to a vet-is Loratadine- 1 mg per kg of body weight. I buy mine from Wilkinsons or Lidle- less than £1. for a pack of 7 tabs Vet said they may not work but are still safe.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 09:45 AM
I have always used Piriton for my dog and two vets (at different practices ) have told me that its fine to use. The vet said I can give him up to 3 piriton a day - he looked it up in a book whilst we were there, (spaced out evenly not all together) and that it is safe to use although he told me that anti-histamines don't seem to work as well in dogs as in humans. I mean the Piritons with 30 in the packet and are about £2.70 to buy not the one-a-day ones.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
I have always used Piriton for my dog and two vets (at different practices ) have told me that its fine to use. The vet said I can give him up to 3 piriton a day - he looked it up in a book whilst we were there, (spaced out evenly not all together) and that is is safe to use although he told me that anti-histamines don't seem to work as well in dogs as in humans. I mean the Piritons with 30 in the packet and are about £2.70 to buy not the one-a-day ones.
Piriton is a brand name and not a generic one- not sure whether it is Loratadine or Cetirizine or another type ?Yeah you are right about the one a day ones-they are different from the regular ones Can u do me a favour and look on the pkg of Piriton to see what the active ingredient is ?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie
Piriton is a brand name and not a generic one- not sure whether it is Loratadine or Cetirizine or another type ?Yeah you are right about the one a day ones-they are different from the regular ones Can u do me a favour and look on the pkg of Piriton to see what the active ingredient is ?
It says - Active: chlorphenamine maleate. also contains lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, colour yellow iron oxide (E172)

It also says chlorphenamine maleate Ph. Eur. 4mg

Yes Piriton is made by GlaxoSmithKline group of companies.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
It says - Active: chlorphenamine maleate. also contains lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, colour yellow iron oxide (E172)

It also says chlorphenamine maleate Ph. Eur. 4mg

Yes Piriton is made by GlaxoSmithKline group of companies.
chlorphenamine is the active ingredient- thanks for that !that, loratadine and ceterizine are the 3 main common antihistamines. Good to know theres another one that is ok to use
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I used piriton as well for stings mainly because this was recommended by my vet for my old dog who was allergic to grass seeds.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Piriton here too! Last year Lily got stung on her mouth (probably ate a wasp knowing her) thankfully it brought the swelling right down.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
Piriton here too! Last year Lily got stung on her mouth (probably ate a wasp knowing her) thankfully it brought the swelling right down.
Yes they are really handy to have in just in case aren't they
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Dogs need the original type antishistamines not the non-drowsy ones, boots do one that is fine for dogs.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Pita
Dogs need the original type antishistamines not the non-drowsy ones, boots do one that is fine for dogs.
Yes I have bought the Boots ones for Benji, think they are the same as Piriton but a bit cheaper, but don't make the mistake of telling them they are for your dog or all hell is let loose......
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >