Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Mobility Scooters & dog walking

Three days to go I'm more excited about getting my scooter on Saturday than I am about my birthday!

While I get used to handling the scooter and a dog, I've decided to do my first walks with Roux. He's much calmer than Ella about walking alongside the wheelchair (she always seems to go out of her way to get run over ), and generally has a quieter disposition. We're going to start off with my OH walking the dogs alongside me, to get them used to it, and then have me take Roux out with someone alongside us incase we run into difficulties.

I found on eBay a little doohickey (technical term ) that is designed for attaching your dog to your bike or wheelchair, and it looks like it would adapt easily to use with the mobility scooter, but my fear would be that if anything went wrong, I won't physically have hold of the lead. Does anyone use something like this, or do you manage to juggle your dog's lead and steer the scooter?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi Sez

I use the halti training lead tied around my waist. Currently, I hold the lead as well as having it attached until they're completely used to it. (Takara gets a bit close to the wheels) I have thought about one of those bike leads but tbh, sometimes you really do have to squeeze through places.

I don't know what your area is like but the pavements here aren't great - as a result, I have a road scooter and the dogs have to run in the edge of the road with me (sometimes if there are no parked cars they can run on the pavement with me on the road). When we do use pavements, there are often bins, lampposts etc in the way and they both have a cue to 'get back' so that they follow the scooter through the gap and don't get in the way. You wouldn't be able to do this with the 'doohickey'

I prefer to use the training lead as described and I don't know about yours, but my scooter is surprisingly easy to use with one hand so I usually hold the lead but every now and again I can drop it and continue on my journey using both hands on the scooter and the dogs cope just fine.

It sounds like yours are very well behaved dogs and considering how easy I find it with mental dallies, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 03:58 PM
If you visit snowpaw store - see link on left they sell a waist belt for attaching dog leads to which might work?
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Great ideas! Thankyou!
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Hi Sez

I use the halti training lead tied around my waist. Currently, I hold the lead as well as having it attached until they're completely used to it. (Takara gets a bit close to the wheels) I have thought about one of those bike leads but tbh, sometimes you really do have to squeeze through places.

I don't know what your area is like but the pavements here aren't great - as a result, I have a road scooter and the dogs have to run in the edge of the road with me (sometimes if there are no parked cars they can run on the pavement with me on the road). When we do use pavements, there are often bins, lampposts etc in the way and they both have a cue to 'get back' so that they follow the scooter through the gap and don't get in the way. You wouldn't be able to do this with the 'doohickey'

I prefer to use the training lead as described and I don't know about yours, but my scooter is surprisingly easy to use with one hand so I usually hold the lead but every now and again I can drop it and continue on my journey using both hands on the scooter and the dogs cope just fine.

It sounds like yours are very well behaved dogs and considering how easy I find it with mental dallies, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
I find that I too juggle holding the lead and using one hand to steer the scooter as the streets and pavements are very narrow and of course then theres the parked cars etc, but again Id prefer to be able to have some sort of adaption I think when walking my little dog, sadly she is a hyper terrier and is always excited I think if she was calmer I would be less stressed am going to run her over, help anyone with ideas Id love to hear them.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
[I know this is an old thread] but this is in response to charliegirl1]

This is Pereg sitting on the footrest of The Silver Monster!

She has a chain leash clipped onto her harness [she now wears an EzyDog Quick Fit one] and it is looped round the rear nearside canopy strut - you can see the red end of the leash, and is hooked over and in front of the nearside arm of the scooter. [in the picture the seat is swiveled slightly towards the pavement and the arm is up].

The leash is of a length that she cannot get in front of the nearside wheel, nor can she get behind and in the way of any traffic.

I have certain instructions for her for when I make a left-hand turn [we drive on the right here] or go round the mini-roundabout, or if we have to pass large parked vehicles so have to move into the centre of the road, which are specific for the scooter, and she totally ignores the heavy tractors or school buses which thunder along the very narrow roads at times!

The Silver Monster is very big and very powerful, being also an off-road scooter, but the steering is light - far more so than any of my previous road scooters - so I can easily steer it with one hand if necessary. However, Pereg is very strong and I cannot hold her by her leash, which is why it is fixed onto the scooter.

If we are on the tractor paths or any of the grassy areas I clip her onto the long line, which is also looped round the canopy strut, and tucked in the box at the back of the scooter when not in use. She does not go off lead.

charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks again Malka my scooter is around the same size as yours but without the cool top on, like a lot by the way, anyway yes I too have a long leash and wrap it around the seat part of the scooter and hold her with one hand while steering with the other but she walks quite well but does get caught up in the wheel occasionally and really I wanted something that made her more safe and where we could enjoy our walk better, but thanks again for your reply and love the pic thanks again Hazel
PandaMan
New Member!
Male 

07-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Ive attached this link to a customers scooter as it keeps the lead at a fixed length from the scooter - only thing is that it does need a bar to atach to it
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
very interesting thread Its great to hear other peoples training methods.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
very interesting thread Its great to hear other peoples training methods.
There is more discussion about mobility scooters and dog walking here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >