View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hugh lenehan
New Member!
Male 

27-04-2006, 06:45 AM

pups first season (what is the usual age for a bitch's first season?)

i have a collie / retriever cross pup who is now 11months old which was a rescue pup. i always thought that the first season is always app 6/8 months.
as i would like her spayed for the usual reasons is 11months overdue or can it be longer ? has anyone a simular experience
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 07:12 AM
The first season can happen any time up from about 6 months up to about 2 years. My own pup had her first season at 10 months which is young for the breed...18 months+ is more common for her particular breed.

I would be inclined to wait until she had her first season and then spay 12 weeks after it ends. At 11 months, she could be due to come into season at any time and it is inadvisable to routinely spay close to/during a season. However, that is just my opinion and what I would do in your situation. You'll probably find there are a lot of differing opinions on this one

Why not have a word with the vet who will be performing the spay and ask their opinion?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 08:03 AM
As said, there's no set time for this My girl, labrador, had her first season when she was 1 year (and 2 days) old.

So nothing unusual in her not being in season yet. You cant do nothing but wait, i'm afraid And dont worry
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 11:08 AM
read into this a bit as I am/was concerned about spaying too young. Research now says that the instances of incontinence in the older female is higher when the bitch was spayed BEFORE her first season. Also another arguement (not sure how vaild) is that like people, hormones are needed for development and if this is taken away before maturity then the male or female will be childlike and never fully mature.
I have decided to wait one season at least - if it's bad (she stops eating or changes personality or bleeds everywhere) then i will have her spayed after that: if everything goes ok then i might just wait a few years...
parker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2006, 01:57 PM
My small springer was 10 1/2 months when she had her first season (and subsequent phantom pregnancy). Speyed at Christmas when symptoms finally subsided.

Hope this helps
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm glad this topic came up with molly being on her first season at the mo i didn't know if to get her spayed after this one. or wait till after her second
we are planning a male pup this summer so some advise please
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Molly2606
I'm glad this topic came up with molly being on her first season at the mo i didn't know if to get her spayed after this one. or wait till after her second
we are planning a male pup this summer so some advise please
Hi Molly if you intend having your girl spayed I would say yes do it now don't wait any longer..you need to wait until midway between seasons anyway (three months from the start of the season) when the hormones are at their least active.
This article by Shadowboxer may help you...

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/neu...ion_12202.html
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by hugh lenehan
i have a collie / retriever cross pup who is now 11months old which was a rescue pup. i always thought that the first season is always app 6/8 months.
as i would like her spayed for the usual reasons is 11months overdue or can it be longer ? has anyone a simular experience
Hi Hugh there are no firm rules as to when a bitch will have her first season but it usually any time after 6 months of age .
Small breeds mature before larger breeds and so they tend to have a first seasons earlier than larger breeds . A few years ago some research was done that indicated a bitches first seasons can be influenced by the length of days/amount of daylight and a first season can be delayed until the spring. I guess this is a throwback to the wild and nature giving a future litter a better chance of survival if it is born in the spring.

If you intend spaying I would go ahead and do it three months from the start of the season, that is midway between seasons when the hormones have settled down.