Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2007, 11:42 PM

Save my letters!

Fortunately the dogs have so far only completely ruined letters from the bank , but I need to stop them getting to the post and eating it. I fortunately managed to wrestle my divorce petition from Amber this morning before she had done too much damage to it.

Ideally, I would like a lockable postbox outside my front door, but as we have a townhouse and the front door opens straight onto the pavement, it's not ideal. I have also seen cages that can be attached to the inside of the door, but something like that would prevent the door opening fully (it opens flat against the inside wall).

I was thinking about some kind of bag that could be fitted over the letterbox on the inside - flat enough that the door would open properly without damaging my wall, but it would keep the letters off the floor and stop the dogs damaging anything important (it's my birthday next week, and I will NOT be amused to receive cards covered in tooth marks .

I've been looking on Google for some kind of sewing pattern for an easy bag - something like an old pillowcase with a zip on the top so that we can take the post out would probably do, but I haven't been successful. I also can't think of a sensible way to fasten it to the door.

Has anyone made or bought anything like this? If so, please can you post a picture or describe how you have made it work?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Can't post a pic, as it's now been taken down, but Lennon used to eat the post too, so I taped a carrier bag over the letter box so that the post just dropped into it. I used a strong carrier bag, and Gaffa tape so it was quite sturdy. It worked a treat until he "grew up"
Hope this helps.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Would they not just wrestle with the bag when they see it moving/hear the letters dropping into it?

Is there any way youu can prevent them getting into the area with the post box? Baby gate or something for example.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Is there any way youu can prevent them getting into the area with the post box? Baby gate or something for example.
I used a dog-gate-about 2 feet from the front door; then later got a letter-cage-you can get really flat ones.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I got a realy thin letter steel box for the wall outside my door, its only about 2.5 inches in depth, I had a problem with a postie tormenting my dogs so i had a door made without a letter opening, he now has to use the box outside.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

11-11-2007, 03:05 PM
A neighbour of mine who lives across the drive put up an outside box for his mail, just to the left of his front door and the postie puts his mail in that! He has two Rotties and they like letters to eat as well! I have seen a few of these now up on other house that have dogs in them! Similar to the one on this link http://www.simplypostboxes.co.uk/pro...26bae54c8eddb3

Hope you are successful. Loki comes and paws my leg when the postie puts mail thru' my letterbox but never chews it - well not up to now she hasn't!!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I've got the same problem as you with the dogs eating my mail, so all I do it hook on the mail cage last thing at night, and then take it back off again after the postman has been.