Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Well done Kodi!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-04-2014, 09:26 AM
incredible! A few near misses with the tree branches and hopping over logs etc lol. He is a little star isn't he, where were you when it was taken.
He's a lovely boy isn't he, so nicely put together, unlike some I see nowadays
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
incredible! A few near misses with the tree branches and hopping over logs etc lol. He is a little star isn't he, where were you when it was taken.
He's a lovely boy isn't he, so nicely put together, unlike some I see nowadays
It was me he was tracking June!
I was the 'baddie' hiding in the wood pile, it sure was cold in there. My son Jamie was the handler, it was his first time and he did a really good job, fortunately he is athletic so had no problem jumping over fallen trees etc.
I thought Kodi might lose the trail on the very last bit, as the road is hardcore and not much there to leave a trail. He initially veers to the left then realises his mistake, hunts for the scent and then goes right. Even then he struggles to find anything but manages to carry on and then probably air scented me on the last 40 yards.

We did the movie yesterday morning and I edited it in the afternoon. First time I have used the GoPro software so very time consuming. I slowed the video down a wee bit to capture more detail, so it gives the impression he was sauntering along, but in reality he was moving pretty fast to cover over a mile of track. He did good though eh?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Well done Kodi!
Thanks Malka. He is a natural.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Looks like an everyday walk for me if I were to keep Zena on her longline I can see Kodi is working well there though, what a fantastic dog he is, and blimey, you had to be quick to lay that scent didn't you, I'm surprised he didn't overtake you Wonderful to see these dogs working like this, especially one has very handsome as your Kodi I love the way he sits quite happily once you've gone off too, that's quite commendable, you must have practiced this loads of times for him to be so good at it. thanks for sharing, loved watching this
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Looks like an everyday walk for me if I were to keep Zena on her longline I can see Kodi is working well there though, what a fantastic dog he is, and blimey, you had to be quick to lay that scent didn't you, I'm surprised he didn't overtake you Wonderful to see these dogs working like this, especially one has very handsome as your Kodi I love the way he sits quite happily once you've gone off too, that's quite commendable, you must have practiced this loads of times for him to be so good at it. thanks for sharing, loved watching this
Thanks H, yes, as you say I did have to be a bit quick. I gave Kodi the stay command then agreed for my son to tell him "search" exactly 15 minutes later. He had no idea where I was going, and nor did I at that point, I just told him to 'trust your dog' and try not to fall over he was wearing the little camera on a headband pulled over his hat.

Yes, we trained at this in a field near Chester, all last year. He got a bit bored in the end, too easy. So we moved on to longer tracks in the forest over rough ground, through water etc. We gave it up over the winter, so this was his first track this year. I thought he might have been a bit rusty, but he locked straight on to my trail, everywhere I walked he followed, except the last bit where he met the road. I knew he would have trouble there but he circled and picked me up again. He really enjoys it and is very focused. I love the way he swings his nose from side to side as he picks up the scent along the trail. Fascinating stuff
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2014, 04:25 PM
He is amazing! I bet it tires him out too!! How did you start off training this?
Jenny Olley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Thought I'd commented on this, but can't have posted it, really good, enjoyed watching it.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Lucky for your son,you decided not to climb one of those massive trees
Really enjoyed that,thanks...Well done Kodi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >