View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bonfire
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2013, 05:31 PM

Dog obedience classes: general advice? Also any recommendations around East Midlands?

I'm looking into dog beginner training/obedience/socialization classes in preparation for getting our dog in a week or so. Some are outside in parks, I can't imagine being able to do as much there as in an enclosed room?

Also does anyone have any nationwide or around Derbyshire recommendations? Or just what to look for/ask about?
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Marie Miller is based in Coventry, she is one of the top trainers/behaviourists in the country and also a TTouch Instructor, she has written a couple of books with Sarah Fisher another very good behaviourist. You can find information about her classes at pawsnlearn.co.uk
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2013, 08:50 PM
I would find local classes/schools and visit them all, watch a class maybe. Any good ones will welcome you with open arms as they will have nothing to hide.
Outside schools work better at helping you gain control in the real world where there is wind and rain and rabbits (don't get many bunnies in a school hall)

Good luck and well done you for thinking ahead
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Hello Ros I would look for a class run by a member of the APDT. here is a list for you.
http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers

Ask to go and sit in on a class before you join to give you a feel for the trainer and the class
Caramel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2013, 01:23 PM
That's interesting. We don't have any indoors dog classes in Germany at all because things as walking on lead etc. are not really needed indoors

I've just had my first dog obedience class in the UK myself (ABIPDT trainer) and the class was like half of the time "indoors" (kind of a riding hall) and the other half outdoors with sheep and horses and street training. I liked the class and the trainer a lot even though it was very different from what I had done in Germany so far.