View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2011, 07:56 AM

When does linebreeding become inbreeding?

The first line of a puppy advert i seen last night was...
We have bred Dre to his daughter diva...
Why do people still do this .....
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 08:20 AM
thats when it becomres in breeding!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 08:58 AM
parent to offspring and brother to sister can no longer be kc registered. That's waaaaay to close!!!!
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Makes me shudder....
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:15 AM
This is way too close - but the question itself is interesting - I would love to know the answer to the question.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:55 AM
(disclaimer: not a breeder but this is the gist I've picked up from breeding in the rat fancy)
Linebreeding is done to "solidify" the genes a bit more. Just imagine you have a room full of 10 dogs - 5 are related to each other in some way, 5 are just random dogs of the same breed.
If the breeder wants to breed for a specific goal - say, for example, they want to improve the GSD's average hip score, they have the choice of 5 dogs they know the lineage of pretty well, because they're all related, of 5 random dogs. The 5 random dogs may have done well on their hip score but the sire of one of them, or that sire's sire, sire's sire's sire, etc. may have had a really bad hip score.
By linebreeding you concentrate the good genes - yes, you can concentrate the bad genes too but even that means that problems tend to show up quicker. If those 5 related dogs had an issue, say a genetic predisposition to cancer, it's going to show up quite quickly because you're breeding carrier to carrier. Take one of those 5 dogs (this is before you know of this predisposition) and breed it with one of the random dogs - you may get lucky and the random does isn't a carrier, but there's still the chance of that "cancer gene" being passed onto those puppies without your knowledge. You then breed those pups to another random dog, that gene is carried on - before you know it, your whole line is full of dogs carrying this gene and the minute you breed one with another carrier, the gene pops up and you realise every dog you've bred could be a carrier. Whereas linebreeding would've likely shown this problem up a lot earlier and allowed you to realise there was an issue and quit breeding from those dogs.
Again, same with the good genes. Breed two related dogs that you know come from a line of dogs with good hips (because they share the same line), chances are you'll end up with more puppies with good hips. You have a litter of pups that all came out with good hips, you keep breeding a few more lines, and now you can breed the granddaughter of your first little with it's grandfather and voila - even greater chances of a litter with good hips.

I think the closer the relation, the more likely that obscure, carried genes can pop up, but linebreeding done carefully can have good results. I think lots of people humanize the issue and get disgusted at the idea of a dog mating with family, but dogs don't have this moral stance - just look at something like a lion pride, where males continue to breed, generation after generation, until a stronger male comes in and takes over.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
The first line of a puppy advert i seen last night was...
We have bred Dre to his daughter diva...
Why do people still do this .....
Firstly , the litter in question will not be KC registered, as it is no longer possible to register such a mating.

Secondly , why do people do this, the reason being, as in the case above probably because they had two dogs and allowed them to breed.

BUT inbreeding done correctly (it is NOT incest) animals dont do incest!! it can produce continuity in your lines, it can produce type and quality, if done correctly basically you know what you are going to get in the litter.

But as its no longer allowed , its irrelevant , its also important to remember those who did inbreed will only do it for one generation, inbreeding is NOT as common as people think or thought it to be.

Personally I would not have had an issue buying a pup from a litter from an inbred litter , providing the breeder was knowledgeable and new their lines.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
(disclaimer: not a breeder but this is the gist I've picked up from breeding in the rat fancy)
Linebreeding is done to "solidify" the genes a bit more. Just imagine you have a room full of 10 dogs - 5 are related to each other in some way, 5 are just random dogs of the same breed.
If the breeder wants to breed for a specific goal - say, for example, they want to improve the GSD's average hip score, they have the choice of 5 dogs they know the lineage of pretty well, because they're all related, of 5 random dogs. The 5 random dogs may have done well on their hip score but the sire of one of them, or that sire's sire, sire's sire's sire, etc. may have had a really bad hip score.
By linebreeding you concentrate the good genes - yes, you can concentrate the bad genes too but even that means that problems tend to show up quicker. If those 5 related dogs had an issue, say a genetic predisposition to cancer, it's going to show up quite quickly because you're breeding carrier to carrier. Take one of those 5 dogs (this is before you know of this predisposition) and breed it with one of the random dogs - you may get lucky and the random does isn't a carrier, but there's still the chance of that "cancer gene" being passed onto those puppies without your knowledge. You then breed those pups to another random dog, that gene is carried on - before you know it, your whole line is full of dogs carrying this gene and the minute you breed one with another carrier, the gene pops up and you realise every dog you've bred could be a carrier. Whereas linebreeding would've likely shown this problem up a lot earlier and allowed you to realise there was an issue and quit breeding from those dogs.
Again, same with the good genes. Breed two related dogs that you know come from a line of dogs with good hips (because they share the same line), chances are you'll end up with more puppies with good hips. You have a litter of pups that all came out with good hips, you keep breeding a few more lines, and now you can breed the granddaughter of your first little with it's grandfather and voila - even greater chances of a litter with good hips.

I think the closer the relation, the more likely that obscure, carried genes can pop up, but linebreeding done carefully can have good results. I think lots of people humanize the issue and get disgusted at the idea of a dog mating with family, but dogs don't have this moral stance - just look at something like a lion pride, where males continue to breed, generation after generation, until a stronger male comes in and takes over.
Good post, you said it much better than me.

I agree completey, but would also widen it to "inbreeding" done occasionally for all the same reasons as you have given,

As you say, you can pass on the bad as well as the good, if doing any of the above one has to be 100% knowledgeable of their lines to achieve what one is after.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Independent inquiry into dog breeding - Bateson

http://breedinginquiry.files.wordpre...iry-120110.pdf

Makes interesting reading
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Firstly , the litter in question will not be KC registered, as it is no longer possible to register such a mating..................................

But as its no longer allowed , its irrelevant , its also important to remember those who did inbreed will only do it for one generation, inbreeding is NOT as common as people think or thought it to be........
Er actually it isn't banned altogether, I know of a puppy that has qualified for Crufts 2011 that is from a mother-son mating(bitch had silent season)& the KC have accepted the registration
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >