register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-03-2013, 08:55 PM
If you keep an eye on them making sure they are well covered but not fat, making sure their poos are firm, but not like small pieces of concrete, but aren't soft either. You'll find as you go along some need more and some need less because they are all individuals.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You don't need a mixer with raw, you would be amazed at how little you feed once they are fully grown, the rule of thumb is 1-2% of bodyweight, and you adjust that to how the dog is looking, and poo watch as well as that is a great guide to if you are over or under feeding. I do bulk my adult girls' meals out with grated steamed veg as they do so well on raw that if I gave them just the meat they would be onto the Cruelty
What about the weight of bones? How do you fit those into the 1-2% of bodyweight?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-03-2013, 09:21 PM
I am talking about just the meat. I add or take away chicken wings and heart as I feel is necessary, so if they are looking a bit thin I'll add a chicken wing. I feed heart to the babies because of the taurine in it, but I have found it tends to make them put on weight so don't feed it to the bigguns anymore. I think the great thing about raw is that we can all use various aspects of it and adjust it to our relevant needs and our lifestyle and the nutritional requirements of our dogs. I have got them at all different stages of their lives, I wean my puppies onto it and it carries on from there, and everyone never fails to comment on the good looks and health of them.
Labernese
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Tarimoor:

Great guide. I am considering RAW for my dog.

I was wondering, how much time does it take you to prepare your dog's meals?? Seems like it takes a lot of time and effort.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by Labernese View Post
Tarimoor:

Great guide. I am considering RAW for my dog.

I was wondering, how much time does it take you to prepare your dog's meals?? Seems like it takes a lot of time and effort.
I am not Tarimoor so can only answer for myself. Once you learn about RAW and what is needed, and what suits your dog, you will find that it is automatic that you have the dog's meals sorted. I keep a daily diary and know what my dog's first meal must include in the protein part - she will happily eat whatever steamed vegetables are in the freezer. Second meal is always a bone one.

Yes it takes a bit longer and a bit more thought than just putting some kibble in a bowl, but I would far rather take that bit extra time and know what my dog is eating. And believe me, once a dog has had - say - a raw chicken wing, they will love you forever!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I am Tarimoor, not always around, lurking a bit here and there, and can only agree. Although I don't actually keep a daily diary, more a mental note of what they've had, and what to give them to balance out over the course of the week, or more.

I also have to agree, it takes a bit longer, but with four large retrievers, and now sourcing much of their food from a good local butchers, it costs me next to nothing to feed my lot. My costs are mainly for things like organic free range eggs, most of my meat/bones are completely free. It pays to shop around, literally
Labernese
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Thank you so much for your replies. I actually have a couple more questions for you. I am ready for the effort that it takes to feed my dog raw but I've been wondering - are you ever concerned about how raw meat is prepared, especially in supermarkets? I was watching something about it on Marketplace the other night about raw chicken having 'superbugs' and beef having e-coli and it kinda freaked me out because I don't want my dog exposed to that stuff.

I was also wondering what you guys thought about pre-prepared raw meals by companies such as spring meadows or primal.

Thanks guys! My dog is still on wet Blue (no grain) I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I make the switch to raw.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Check where the meat comes from that's processed to make your dog food, if it's fit for human consumption, it will be the same as the local supermarket.

That said, I don't buy meat from the local supermarket, the most I buy is fish when it's reduced to dehydrate into treats. The meat I get is from a local butcher, the majority of which is from the surrounding fields, the furthest afield they go is about 40 miles for their pork, to meet their *ethical* standards for rearing and slaughtering.

Preprepared raw is expensive, but if it's affordable, and works for you, then why not? I've currently got five large trays of meaty bones needing sorting out in the back of my van, all completely free. I generally give away more than half of that every week to other raw feeders, as I always get more than I could ever give my own dogs, and store. I have two dedicated dog food freezers, and overflow into a large chest freezer with some of their food. I probably pay less than £10 per week for food for my four girls, and that's a generous estimate.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

22-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Joanne I want to thank you for this guide as I had never heard about raw feeding before I joined Dogsey, and your guide was and still is so extremely helpful to me.

I have to say that I am extremely envious of you regarding meat and bones - I buy everything from butchers and/or poulterers here as meat is so expensive, but it does mean that whatever meat Pereg has raw, I can cook for myself. She mostly has turkey hearts or gizzards [or fish] as her first meal, and is restricted to the amount as she is on a permanent diet to keep her weight down. Luckily she loves vegetables so I fill her up with those!

Her second meal is either half a chicken back/carcass or half a turkey neck - or raw whole sardines. Chicken wings not so often now.

As for bones, this

which had very little meat on it, cost me the equivalent of ~£4.40 and she just had it for maybe half an hour at a time for recreation. I have since bought similar where they have been sawn into rounds. Beef is imported chilled from Argentina and is very expensive, and as such there are no "butchers' scraps" to be had. Also beef bones are sold for soup at around £4 - £4.50 a kilo.

I do not know how much it costs me to feed Pereg each week but she probably eats better than I do! And more importantly she is extremely healthy [apart from her epilepsy], has the shiniest coat ever, and the most important thing is that she really enjoys her meals!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Thank you, and you're welcome, I enjoy helping people, whether that's with the raw diet, or finding a good breeder, it's nice to take the time out and help folks as it's not always easy to find the right answers straight away. And if I don't know the answer, then I can usually point people in the right direction at least.

I'm glad to hear Pereg's doing so well on raw, I know my lot love it, the youngest is now approaching 20 months of age and has always been on raw. She is in rude health!!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >