Female 

03-01-2010, 06:17 PM

Spaying

Hi, can you tell me your views on Spaying bitches after there 1st season
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
3 months after - that tends to be when I have mine done.

I prefer for them to have thier first season, but many people spey before hand now.

ETA - if you search on here for threads about neutering (Castration or speying) you should come up with a lot of info.
lindseyjag
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks trying to get them both done together is it about 4 months to a season
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
This information may help answer your questions.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

Dawn R.
lindseyjag
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks Dawn
reading that makes it a hard decision. more against than for.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Check http://www.avma.org/animal_health/br...r_brochure.asp

A lot sometimes goes wrong when a female is left go through a season before spaying. Just because some people manage with no problems, doesn't mean everybody should. I have been around a long time and heard of many problems. Accidental breeding and unwanted litters are far from the worst that can happen. Females sometimes make desperate efforts to get loose taking their owners by surprise. More so if lulled by reassurances from those lacking wide experience that it won't happen.

Of course, males also make great attempts to get to a female in season.

The benefits of waiting are neither sure or major. I don't think it is worth it to the average pet owner to go through having their female go through a season.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 02:03 AM
suki was done at 3.5 yo i wanted her done after her 1st season but i fostered kittens and she kept producing milk, so it was only after i stopped fostering i was able to get her done. i would say 8 weeks after the last day of their season.
ATD x
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2010, 02:10 AM
I agree with Labman. I have seen first hand through rescue "puppies" having puppies and it is so hard on them when they are only babies themselves

Any bitches we have ever owned are done before the first season unless they are an older bitch when we got them
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Not many Vets do this and its more expensive, but have you though of a Laporoscopy Spaying

http://www.taverhamvets.co.uk/laparoscopy.html

I did this with Lady. Relatively pain free. No Buster Cone. Dog can play when you get it home.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Check http://www.avma.org/animal_health/br...r_brochure.asp

A lot sometimes goes wrong when a female is left go through a season before spaying. Just because some people manage with no problems, doesn't mean everybody should. I have been around a long time and heard of many problems. Accidental breeding and unwanted litters are far from the worst that can happen. Females sometimes make desperate efforts to get loose taking their owners by surprise. More so if lulled by reassurances from those lacking wide experience that it won't happen.

Of course, males also make great attempts to get to a female in season.

The benefits of waiting are neither sure or major. I don't think it is worth it to the average pet owner to go through having their female go through a season.
If you have never had a entire bitch go through a season or two, how on earth would you know what they are like manage? you don't. You make it sound like it is like Mission Impossible to manage a bitch during a season. It isn't rocket science keeping them safe. Your argument for early pre-season spaying revolves entirely around management (or lack of it), yet you are obviously not acknowledging the medical benefits of post-season spaying (which are significant).
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >