Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2006, 07:59 PM

Can dogs suffer with asthma?

Can dogs suffer with asthma?

A few times now if Poppy's been excited, it's as though she's trying to catch her breathe. Could it just be excitment or could she have asthma?

She due to go to the vets in a couple of weeks to have her dew claws trimmed, but I just wondered if anyone had any experience?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 08:03 PM
No experience of it here - sorry x
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2006, 08:21 PM
do you mean she is breathing harshly or is she making the noise through her nose?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi Harrys mum we were talking about a condition called 'reverse sneezing' an irritation of the soft palate in another thread recently, details below, this can cause a wheezing when dogs get excited or when they have a foreign body up their nose like a grass seed.

Heart problems can also cause dogs to be out of breath when excited...

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...eSneezing.html
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Harrys mum we were talking about a condition called 'reverse sneezing' an irritation of the soft palate in another thread recently, details below, this can cause a wheezing when dogs get excited or when they have a foreign body up their nose like a grass seed.

Heart problems can also cause dogs to be out of breath when excited...

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...eSneezing.html
Brilliant, thanks Mini. It is more like a snorting. We'll try the methods in the article and see if it helps her. It only usually lasts for 3 or 4 "snorts", usually when she's playing.

Thanks again, it's really put my mind at ease.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by HM
Brilliant, thanks Mini

The article link is courtesy of Dogwebber jakeandwoody
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Sounds like youve got the problem taken care of but thought Id mention this in case anyone else was wondering, they can get asthma and in general the same meds can be used as are used in humans. (under instructions from a vet only and after a diagnosis....as has already been mentioned there are quite a few causes of shortness of breath so it is vital that the dog sees a vet for correct diagnosis).

Apart from dealing with it (and its more common in cats than dogs....for any cat people) in the hospitals with clients dogs my Whippet had it, she was diagnosed at around 7 years old with, lived until she was almost 17. Hers was intermittent, there is a device available in US for dogs and cats (not sure if its available in UK) that is very similar to a childs device for adminitstering medication from inhalers....back when my Whippet had it there was no easy way to use an inhaler on them, I have asthma also so if my dog had an attack then I would literally take a hit of mine and then blow it into her mouth....then we progressed to using surgical anaesthesia masks rigged up with some hosing...finally someone invented a 'dog friendly' device.
sashajade
New Member!
Female 

24-06-2006, 04:27 PM
yes they can my 12 year old yorkie has it hes on meds and seems to be doing fine.