Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kolkim
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2015, 04:15 AM

Puppy doesn't like canned food after refrigeration

Hey I got a puppy 3 months ago and been struggling a bit with his diet. He really doesn't seem to eat dry food so I gave up and decided to start wet food. It costs more but he seems to like it... For the first meal from a new can. As soon as I opem a new can he wolfs down everything I give him. Sometimes he eats seconds or even thirds! But as soon as I put it in the refrigerator he won't eat it. I've tried to heat it up but he doesnt look interested.

Is this rare? Any solutions to this? How long can I keep wet food on the counter for?
ANI
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2015, 04:23 AM
In my experience and knowledge I've found that puppies and a lot of adult dogs prefer an all natural raw diet. This is what their tummy is designed to digest, not processed food. They will eat it, however they soon realise (and some take a lot longer) that their stomach cannot tolerate this pretend food.

Making the transition to a balanced diet doesn't need to be expensive or difficult and in my opinion is one of the best decisions a pet carer can make. There are ways to find the best affordable meat etc.
The transition must be done gradually to minimise tummy upset and also give his stomach time to adjust to the correct acidity levels.
What they need is 80% meat/muscle, 10% offal (organs) and 10% vegetable matter. Then there are a few additives you can add to that.
Kolkim
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2015, 04:34 AM
Thank you for your input however I've tried a natural raw diet with my cat before, with all the extra work I put in she didn't even enjoy it. I know cats are picky eaters but she would rather starve than eat raw meat. My puppy is just as picky, even with treats. Plus with my schedule preparing their food, especially in the mornings is just not feasable for me at the moment.

Im mostly curious is this refrigeration issue is common. Just because it is cold it is not appetizing for him? The weird part is even when I heat it up he can tell it's not fresh somehow :S
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Do you take the food out of the can? It could be leaving a taste if not removed from the can?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2015, 08:16 AM
I would transfer the food to a tupperware or similar container and then refridgerate, maybe have 2 cans on the go at a time to alternate flavours and I'd microwave his meal for a few seconds to take the chill off it.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2015, 10:16 AM
My Shar-Pei girl doesn't like food straight out of the fridge. She's fed a mix of home cooked and raw and I always warm whatever I'm going to feed her in the microwave for 30 secs .
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Have you tried taking out a portion a couple of hours prior to mealtime so that it's at room temperature when served.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2015, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure the feeding schedule for puppies, but for adult dogs it's sometimes recommended to give them two meals a day. Puppies might have to eat more often. My dogs were always grown so I'm not sure.

When I make their food I put kibble in the bowl, then a handful of cat chow...just because they love it...a half tin of specialty dog food and a few tablespoons of canned wet food. Maybe a bit of cheese for a treat, then I stir hot water into the whole thing, enough to make it slightly soupy. The canned food can be mushed into gravy. My Callie inhales his bowl so I must be doing something right.

My dogs are over fifty pounds so it's a big portion. You have to adjust amounts for the size of your pup. Good luck!
ANI
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Kolkim View Post
Thank you for your input however I've tried a natural raw diet with my cat before, with all the extra work I put in she didn't even enjoy it. I know cats are picky eaters but she would rather starve than eat raw meat. My puppy is just as picky, even with treats. Plus with my schedule preparing their food, especially in the mornings is just not feasable for me at the moment.

Im mostly curious is this refrigeration issue is common. Just because it is cold it is not appetizing for him? The weird part is even when I heat it up he can tell it's not fresh somehow :S
Please keep in mind the effects of food poisoning from having processed food at room temperature.

I read your response the other day and I wasn't going to reply. You know sometimes you hear or see something and you just can't stop thinking about it? You become worried every time you come face to face with something? I've come to the point where I need to do something, or say (type) something because in my 6 years of research, one thing I've learned is that our pets put their trust in us to care for them and to educate ourselves in that caring for them.

I was just reading yet another article about the effects of commercial pet food (processed pet food) and again, the image of your little pup popped up in my mind... Damn I thought. Why? I can guarantee that this little pup is going to start having skin problems, liver problems, ear, teeth and gum problems and so much more, for what?..
I wish there was something I could type that would help you understand why our pets become, what you describe as "fussy" eaters. I guess it all boils down to "what we offer them to eat". Their immune system needs to be 100% to cope with our society, the chemicals from flea and worm treatments, vaccinations (which most pet carers over vaccinate), environment, stress, pesticides... wow, I could go on. I will share this article with you.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/05/26/three-major-reasons-to-feed-your-pet-a-homemade-diet.aspx[/URL]

Watch a few more of Karen Beckers video's, she is very good and know's what she is taking about.

Believe me, I know why they are fussy eaters. Any pet introduced to commercial pet food are fussy eaters. I know, I have been there. I have since learnt a lot and since I introduced raw to my puppy successfully and with me it wasn't hard as they soon realised that they were on a good thing.
Yes, it takes persistence and patience for some, but it is well worth it. No vet bills!!

If you have done all the research that you possibly can, into the effects of commercial pet food and raw feeding, all your patience has worn thin, your persistence has run dry and you have NO money to support your puppies health, then I say good on you. But I don't believe your puppy will thrive. He will be fine for 4-5 years, but then he will deteriorate slowly.... and you will think back and wonder, if only.

I have said my peace and I will not bother you again, I just needed to give you some sincere advice.
I wish you and your pup all the best.
ANI
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I'm not sure the feeding schedule for puppies, but for adult dogs it's sometimes recommended to give them two meals a day. Puppies might have to eat more often. My dogs were always grown so I'm not sure.

When I make their food I put kibble in the bowl, then a handful of cat chow...just because they love it...a half tin of specialty dog food and a few tablespoons of canned wet food. Maybe a bit of cheese for a treat, then I stir hot water into the whole thing, enough to make it slightly soupy. The canned food can be mushed into gravy. My Callie inhales his bowl so I must be doing something right.

My dogs are over fifty pounds so it's a big portion. You have to adjust amounts for the size of your pup. Good luck!

Puppies should be fed 3-5% of their body weight, three meals a day with a meaty bone suitable for their size and breed.
Cat and dog processed pet foods should NEVER be mixed (a dog should not be fed cat food). Just because they eat it, doesn't mean they love it. They cannot go to the butcher and purchase raw meat or a big meaty bone, so they eat what you put in front of them.

Have you tried gradually introducing real food to your pet?

[URL="http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/02/15/raw-meat-the-best-and-healthiest-diet-for-pet-cats-and-dogs.aspx?x_cid=youtube"]
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >