View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Is food you're feeding killing your pet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-vet-rich.html

I have just been reading this scary stuff. Apologies if it has already been posted.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I do think some vets are a little too linked to pet food companies, but in that 'report' there is no hard evidence/links to studies - it's all "something something is thought to be linked to" or "associated with that". It's scaremongering (The Daily Mail? Who'd a thought it!?) with little/no foundation or substance with some pointless anecdotal evidence thrown in.

I'd love to feed a more natural diet, and one day I'm sure I will, and it's good that this area is being discussed, but articles like this have to be taken with a pinch of salt. If you're concerned, I'd jook at some papers in respected, peer-reviewed journals, written by well-qualified people and based on experimental evidence.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I do think some vets are a little too linked to pet food companies, but in that 'report' there is no hard evidence/links to studies - it's all "something something is thought to be linked to" or "associated with that". It's scaremongering (The Daily Mail? Who'd a thought it!?) with little/no foundation or substance with some pointless anecdotal evidence thrown in.

I'd love to feed a more natural diet, and one day I'm sure I will, and it's good that this area is being discussed, but articles like this have to be taken with a pinch of salt. If you're concerned, I'd jook at some papers in respected, peer-reviewed journals, written by well-qualified people and based on experimental evidence.
Yes, I agree with you but I would love to feed my boy a natural diet. He has IBS and I would love to feed barf but I am scared to disturb his now peaceful digestive system. I suppose the only way I am going to find out is to try it - it may suit him fine.

I am, at present, reading through some threads on barf and I may well take the plunge and try it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post

Totally agree. There is no evidence that suggests raw fed dogs live any longer and are healthier than kibble fed dogs. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence, sure, for people as well as dogs. My great grandmother is still alive, in her 90's, no real health problems, and her diet consists mainly of Jelly Babies, Dairy Milk, tea and cigarettes. No joke. Is it her pretty awful diet that has kept her so well, or other factors such as genetics? my money is obviously on genetics.

Dry food is in a sense convenience food, but so what? not everyone has the time to purchase everything that is required for a dog for a reasonablely balanced fresh diet (on top of shopping for the humans!), or the space to keep all the extra food, or indeed the knowledge on how to prepare it and provide the dog with something reasonably balanced. I have been down the raw route and found it tiresome. I also noticed no changes in my dog, so it wasn't worth it for me or him.

Provided what you are not feeding is not utter rubbish (Bakers, Tesco Value, etc.) and your dog is healthy, you have nothing to worry about.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Forgive me if I don`t read the article (don`t have much faith in the Daily Mail ) but what suits one dog won`t suit another and it`s more a question of finding out what suits the dog, and using common sense.
If it`s really cheap there`s probably a reason for that, and if it`s got a huge list of ingredients there a lot that your dog can react to, so it`s best avoided, and if it doesn`t say exactly what`s in it (e.g. what meat and what sort of cereal) then it`s trying to hide something.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2010, 05:00 PM
This post is all the time I will waste on nonsense plainly at odds with the real world.

I see many ads on the net leading to that nonsense. That tells me somebody is making money on it. Why should anybody believe them?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
This post is all the time I will waste on nonsense plainly at odds with the real world.

I see many ads on the net leading to that nonsense. That tells me somebody is making money on it. Why should anybody believe them?
I wasnt gonna post here but I had to cos this is too funny
I see adverts for dog food on the TV all the time, dog food makes lots of people lots of money
I feed my dogs raw, from the supermarket, all the information I have got I have been given free - noone is making money out of what I feed my dogs (except the supermarket - but they dont know I am feeding it to my dog)
My vet, although a little weary of raw, reccomends a home cooked diet - anything fresh - not processed
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Great read.
Problem with finding research on raw food/ homecooked food vs commercial feed is that research costs money. And unless someone stands to make a profit from the research noone is gonna fund it. Of course with raw and home cooked no one company stands to make alot of profit.

Why indeed. Commercial pet food companies train our vets in nutrition and advertise all over the place... all at huge profits. I for one choose not to fall for their sales pitch.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Great read.
Problem with finding research on raw food/ homecooked food vs commercial feed is that research costs money. And unless someone stands to make a profit from the research noone is gonna fund it. Of course with raw and home cooked no one company stands to make alot of profit.

Why indeed. Commercial pet food companies train our vets in nutrition and advertise all over the place... all at huge profits. I for one choose not to fall for their sales pitch.
Even money was no object, such a study would be difficult to execute anyway. You would have to have the raw fed dogs eating the exact the same things, in amounts that were comparable to the dry fed dogs. Otherwise the results would be totally inconsistent with the raw fed dogs.

So, I think the raw vs. dry debate will rage on for a life time. Logically raw is a more natural way of feeding, but whether feeding that way is more beneficial to the dog than dry feeding remains anecdotal and probably always will.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Some pet food is undoubtedly killing pets in some countries and there have been well publicised case related to this on the internet and on this site. Some people here may remember one of our members in the USA sadly lost her dog in one of the pet food poisoning incidents.

I think a lot of the complete food manufactured by the large multinational companies is of a very poor quality and aimed at producing a bare minimum of nutrition for maximum profits. The original composition of some of these foods was arrived at after horrific tests on dogs, even if the tests are no longer carried out I would avoid buying food from the companies who carried out the original tests .

Some of the smaller pet food companies seem to have a greater concern about producing good quality food while at the same time making a profit. They clearly use better quality ingredients and if the food is made in smaller quantities for a local market they don't need to use so many chemicals to give the food a long shelf life.

My personal opinion is I don't eat pre prepared or convenience food, my son was never fed manufactured baby food and I don't think a diet consisting entirely of processed food is beneficial for dogs.

I feed a mixture of home cooked fresh food with a small amount of soaked kibble or mixer. As with human food I think feeding a variety of foods is a good thing to do and this helps to make sure a dog gets all the required nutrients.

I appreciate some people may have difficulty feeding fresh food for a number of reasons and they have to decide what is best for their dogs and fits in with their lifestyle.