register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Show, work or dual purpose type dogs, and why.

I was just wondering what type do people prefer in breeds where there is a split, like the cocker or the lab? And why do you prefer this type.

I myself prefer the working type, I don't know why, I've just never really been a show dog person, even at shows surronded by dogs in a ring I would talk to them outside the ring as I have no real big intrest in seeing them show. But shown working dogs working I can't keep my eyes off them, and just the look I love, I always have, and would always choose a working type dog in the split breeds then I would a show.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Dual purpose, in my opinion show dogs should be capable of work, and working dogs should be good enough to show.
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2010, 02:35 PM
As a breeder of Rottweilers, I won't settle for less.

I want a dog who looks as it should, who is healthy, with correct temperament, and a medium to high amount of working drive.
Nimah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2010, 02:42 PM
For me my choice is always preferably dual purpose, a dog that is bred to standard but not to the extremity of the standard.
for the breeds that have a working and show faction my choices are as below.

Labrador show version (middle of the road) = I like a chunky lab, I have seen dogs in the ring that ooze breeze type, I can imagine such dogs with their thick rudder like tail and strong quarters ploughing through the waters of Labrador. I have seen many a working type lab with a lack of bone and a lean head which I do not prefer, too much length of leg for my taste also and thin tails. That being said I don't like some of the show type labs heavy heads.

Springer Spaniel show version = I like a flashy springer with a good length of coat and length of ear, It is a beautiful sight to see a glossy coated SS trotting around the ring with feathers trailing. Working springer's I have seen often do not have a good length of coat which I can understand as it would be caught on undergrowth and shorter ears that don't suit me.

Cocker Spaniel Working version = I like working cocker spaniels more that the show cockers as I prefer less coat on a cocker, they also tend to be longer in the back and have a different expression and head, more tight lips which I prefer.

German Shepherd Working (Czech line specific) = I love the look of the east european line GSDs (not to be confused with the heavier larger East European Shepherd), I like the look of strength these dogs have, they are often sable in colour which I feel adds to their rustic rough and ready look. They have a slight slope, only so that you can just notice it existance, this is the GSD version out of the many factions I prefer.

Border Collie Show version = Border collies from working lines are so varied and not many of the variations appeal to me, they can have a lot of leg, some have lack of coat for my taste, ear set a bit skew wiff. A Show border collie IMO is quite a sight to behold, beautiful glossy coat with strong white markings, average length of leg with slight feathering ... gorgeous

Overall I prefer show versions to working
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Dual purpose - all my dogs are worked - and shown (but we show way less as I hate grooming and prepping for shows)
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I have 3 pedigree Border Collies (and 1 rescue WSD).

1 show bred boy, bit too laid back for me, not quick at agility and his coat is a nightmare this time of year, I spent nearly 2 hours brushing him this morning and he still has mud on him underneath and the feathers on his legs.

1 working bred girl, smooth coated, so the coat is easy to maintain, but she is quite driven and doesn't have an off switch, she is quite nervous and very sharp.

1 from a combination of show and working, she has the best temperament, her coat is rough, but nowhere near as thick and long as the show bred boy and her coat is easy to maintain, she is up for anything, but has an off switch and is bideable.

Just my experience, but I voted for dual purpose.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Well...I have hit Dual purpose as (as much as I find showing very boring) its nice to have the option.
However - my opinions on BCs and the Judges seem to vary a tad

If push came to shove working would win out for me every time - I love the intesnsity of the working dogs.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 05:02 PM
I prefer the Looks of Mid of the road Show types, But Prefer the attitude of Working lines.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I prefer the Looks of Mid of the road Show types, But Prefer the attitude of Working lines.
You would get on well with Siren!!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I voted for dual, I like a mixture of show lines and working lines... *cough* like Indy
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »