Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Worst walk...

I just got in from the worst walk with jake, ever! I don’t know what to do, I really don’t…

I usually like to keep him onlead coz his recall is very inconsistent so he just gets off when there are no other dogs or people around, and I feel he is listening to me. But with all the ice around, I cant walk him onlead. He is getting better with pulling, but even the slightest pull nearly has my on my backside. So I have been taking him the 1 minute walk to the park, and letting him off (in this weather the park is always deserted).

Today, I noticed a foil tray a chicken had been cooked in. jake ran over to it and began licking it, so I had to get him away from it. which happened very quickly, but I was curious to know why it was there… anyway, he was then running around in the trees and came out with bones in his mouth! And they looked like chicken bones, he stopped and started to crunch them! so I told him to leave them, but instead he just ran off at a distance he knew I couldn’t get to him in time! I was so angry at him, so I called him and was going to just attempted the rest of the walk onlead.

But he then decided to make a big game out of it, and kept running close to me and then darting the opposite direction. I was getting frustrated so walked towards the gate (there is a long lane before it gets to the road). I then spent 15 minutes trying to get him onlead! I just didn’t know what to do… he just kept running around in circles… I actually felt so desperate and such a big failure, I just crouched down and cried!

He slowly came up to me when he saw i was crying (and actually looked guilty, as if he knew why i was upset), but behind me an old woman was walking. So he forgot all about me, and ran off to see her! Ran up the lane and across the road!! Luckily the road is extremely quiet, it only leads to about 10 houses so very little traffic. The woman managed to grab him, and I ran and got him. The woman was lovely, but I was so embarrassed and kept apologising (still crying! ) and was so angry! I just took him home, and he is now lying in the living room.

I am ignoring him, which I know he shouldn’t do because he doesn’t understand. But I cant help it, im too angry and upset. I also feel bad coz I shouted at him once I finally got him onlead… but if a car was coming, he could so easily have been hit and that was all that was running through my mind. He knows im mad at him, and keeps looking at me as if to say ‘sorry’. i feel like i have totally failed him, and made him lose his trust in me...

I know this is all my fault, and not his. I just don’t know what to do with him… he is such a difficult dog outside. In the house, he is great! He listens and does as he is told… but outside, he just goes deaf… or at least goes selective on what he will listen to… nothing I have tried has worked, he is just too reactive to sights and sounds around that he doesn’t care what I say… I now feel that I will never be able to let him offlead… I just don’t know what to do…

i feel like such an utter failure, and wonder if i am right for him...
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Welcome to Jake the teenager!!!! He is the right age Lauren. You haven't failed him he has a lovely home. He may have got the upper hand this time but that just means next time you will have rethought the gameplan. Don't lose heart. You need to have the tastiest treats in the land specially for out walking and only for then! Recall him lots so not everytime you call means he is going home. When I can't get Molly to come because she thinks shes funny. I run in the opposite direction and then curl in a ball she can't resist coming to see what on earth I'm doing! Others think I am mad but never mind I don't know them The teenage bit is tough going but not a time for giving up just be prepared for him to be like a naughty little pup again for a bit. Chin up and keep going he's a gorgeous fella giving you soppy sorry mum looks as we speak I'm guessing
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Welcome to Jake the teenager!!!! He is the right age Lauren. You haven't failed him he has a lovely home. He may have got the upper hand this time but that just means next time you will have rethought the gameplan. Don't lose heart. You need to have the tastiest treats in the land specially for out walking and only for then! Recall him lots so not everytime you call means he is going home. When I can't get Molly to come because she thinks shes funny. I run in the opposite direction and then curl in a ball she can't resist coming to see what on earth I'm doing! Others think I am mad but never mind I don't know them The teenage bit is tough going but not a time for giving up just be prepared for him to be like a naughty little pup again for a bit. Chin up and keep going he's a gorgeous fella giving you soppy sorry mum looks as we speak I'm guessing
thanks, he just seems to get worse and worse... i have tried treats, but even they dont interest him... even warm, smelly freshly cooked sausage doesnt work! i sometimes run in the opposite direction, and he follows but wont come close enough to get him onlead...
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Can you practice in the house calling him to you then when he comes he doesn't get the treat until you have your hand in his collar? Then you touching and holding his collar does not mean that fun stops etc? I do remember Molly driving me to distraction at that age and she is the same cross as Jake.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:33 PM
hi Lozzi, believe me the amount of times I have walked back from the park, in or close to tears is numerable over the last 7 years !!

If I was you, I would get a long training line ( cheaper online) and keep him on that - it still gives him freedom in the park but it allows you to practice his recall with distractions and if he still doesnt come back then at least you have the upper hand as you have the lead !!!

Good luck , and dont be down honestly we have all been there - some numerous times !!!!!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Don't despair...many of us know exactly waht you are going through, it can be tough having a dog who can be wilful. Don't blame yourself too much either. Even when you are doing everything right things can still go wrong. Next time will be better. Chin up.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:56 PM
You just need to train him, Hes not naughty he just dosent understand clearely. are you going to classes?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey chin up!!!! He's just an adolescent lad! It's all two steps forward one step back (sometimes three!) at this age. It's not you, you're doing your best - it's just horrid hormones!!!!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 04:25 PM
EVERY dog owner has experienced this - accept you had a crappy walk and move on

Do you go to obedience classes??????????
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh dear, nothing like a rotten walk to spoil your day. Please don't think that you have the only dog with 'problems', as I assure you are not!

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. I remember when my Lab was young just DREADING taking him for a walk. He was just a total nightmare. He is no angel now (still humps other dogs, despite being corrected for it for most of his near 7 years, and occasionally and much to my embarrassment barks at people) but is very much controllable. I never thought I would use the words 'very controllable' when describing him, if you reversed time back to his youth!

I agree with those that have suggested you try a long line or something with Jake. Might build up your confidence a bit. You could also try introducing a whistle for recall. Dogs learn that your commands are without any follow through if you persistently use them yet don't take any action. Basically, they can become deaf to the sound of you calling them, which is why you shouldn't command them if you can't enforce it. I find the whistle to be more effective than voice for recall, especially if they are rewarded handsomely (with an extra tasty treat) EVERY time they come to it without fail.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »