Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Musher View Post
Gnasher please... I know you are only using the words in a joking manner but someone else may take offence.
OH???
Hey musher! Good to have you back!

OH = other half

An anecdote is an account or story about something that is frequently funny or amusing, it may or may not be factual, the inference being when you refer to "anecdotal evidence", it can be said in a negative way - that is, implying that the story or account is not true. So, in a Court a Judge might say that the evidence is only anecdotal, meaning that the person on trial has no concrete proof of something.

I think a better word for what you are describing - telling a story that has a hidden meaning, would be possibly a metaphor? Or a homily maybe?

The English language, though fascinating, is an absolute nightmare and I admire anyone who can master it - whether they be english speaking by birth, or not!!

How did the Iditarod go?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Is this an example of pontificating and/or condescending?
Or is this what I hear people saying is rationalizing, intellectualizing and projecting?
I think it was more an example of prevarication Musher!! Prevarication = avoidance of the issue! Skating around the facts.

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinions, but if you come out with such nonsense about raw food as this bloke did, you can expect to get shot down in flames. And I include myself in that
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2015, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=halfpenny;2861147]
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

I total agree, having watched both my father and mother die of cancer, however I do think we are too quick to judge when an animal is ready to die. I have watched many animals, and the fight and will to survive is amazing, sure in the wild, their lives are short but in domestic circumstances ( which most of us live in) they have the capacity to live full and varied lives with a little help. However, if you class them as sentient beings, you go by their cues as to when they want to die... Not yours.
I have seen too many animals lives cut short when they still want to fight. If I see the spark go out of their eyes and they stop eating or show no will to live- I pts, but if they show a will for life and to fight ( assuming any pain is controlled), I continue to fight with them.
I know my parents were still trying to live when they finally died. True, at the end they were not longer able to fight and at that point I would happily let them go ..... But there is a big gap between that and someone who's condition is controlled or while they still have a quality of life ( and let's not forget, many people have different perceptions of what 'quality of life means to them!).
Thank you. This was the decision I made about my collie who went blind last summer and has been ageing dramatically since until she died peacefully this morning. Even yesterday she was eating with relish. Many more than hinted she should be put down when she went blind and since but as long as she was eating well and wagging her tail and sleeping in the sun there was no way. When she became incontinent I let the dogs sleep outside as I am not well enough to be up and down in the night and she always went outside to, as they say here " do her bathroom." Occasional .. unusual.... places but there we are! she was a frail old lady at the end but then so am I. Just posted a photo on dogsey daily on chat. When she was younger and so fit. We cannot judge " quality of life" by what we in good health etc assume is the only way. It has been hard work with my collie this last while, but I grudged her not that. She had five years of hell before I took her..All seems so terribly quiet here now without her. A huge empty space.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hey musher! Good to have you back!

OH = other half

An anecdote is an account or story about something that is frequently funny or amusing, it may or may not be factual, the inference being when you refer to "anecdotal evidence", it can be said in a negative way - that is, implying that the story or account is not true. So, in a Court a Judge might say that the evidence is only anecdotal, meaning that the person on trial has no concrete proof of something.

I think a better word for what you are describing - telling a story that has a hidden meaning, would be possibly a metaphor? Or a homily maybe?

The English language, though fascinating, is an absolute nightmare and I admire anyone who can master it - whether they be english speaking by birth, or not!!

How did the Iditarod go?
"OH" I see. OK. I can kind of relate.
Thank you for the translation. I will look up metaphor and homily.
I see you are still actively feeding raw.
But I see why people would decide to feed commercial now. Easier. a way more expensive but easier.
Someone said something about that earlier, wondering about me now feeding "commercial".
My "tools of forage" 1 trusty rusty old 10HP Johnson outboard and other foraging and tools of survival, were all stolen. Imagine, right from my front yard. I guess that's what I get for stealing gas when I was a kid. It took 45 years but did catch up to me.
Now a "real job" this summer is necessary, so I can replace my stolen articles, so I can do some real work.

Ya nightmare. I sure agree. It takes me a lot of work to compose.
The Iditarod, I'm not sure. I don't do the Iditarod. There were some bad weather moments though I hear. On the learning road forever, I watch it for diet hints and training hints. I like seeing pictures and news clips of the dogs as well as to watch to see who has the fastest, toughest, strongest, best looking dogs.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm thinking about starting a thread.
I wish to entitle it "WhyNotFeed cooked/commercial!!!"
How do I do that?
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Perhaps I'll be a facetious devil's advocate and title it "SURE! Why not. Feed raw."
Full Definition of FACETIOUS
1:joking or jesting often inappropriately: waggish <just being facetious>
2:meant to be humorous or funny: not serious <a facetious remark>

So I guess I'm being waggish.
I heard my grand aunt, a "war bride" from England, use that word once.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Go to the classification you want to start your thread under and start a new thread
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2015, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Rosebud77;2874191]
Originally Posted by halfpenny View Post

Thank you. This was the decision I made about my collie who went blind last summer and has been ageing dramatically since until she died peacefully this morning. Even yesterday she was eating with relish. Many more than hinted she should be put down when she went blind and since but as long as she was eating well and wagging her tail and sleeping in the sun there was no way. When she became incontinent I let the dogs sleep outside as I am not well enough to be up and down in the night and she always went outside to, as they say here " do her bathroom." Occasional .. unusual.... places but there we are! she was a frail old lady at the end but then so am I. Just posted a photo on dogsey daily on chat. When she was younger and so fit. We cannot judge " quality of life" by what we in good health etc assume is the only way. It has been hard work with my collie this last while, but I grudged her not that. She had five years of hell before I took her..All seems so terribly quiet here now without her. A huge empty space.
I am so very sorry for your loss. I am glad if my point of view has helped in anyway. It is very hard when people judge a friend (pet) in your care, when they do not know it as you do. I know my animals, I knkw when they want to fight, I know when it is a losing battle and I know when they have given up.
If your girl was wagging her tail and eating she was happy, you knew her best.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2015, 09:36 PM
I'm thinking about starting a thread.
I wish to entitle it "WhyNotFeed cooked/commercial!!!"
How do I do that?
Tin hat time!!
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Isn't a whole section devoted to feeding RAW enough?
Page 55 of 56 « First < 5 45 52 53 54 55 56 >