Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2015, 08:34 AM
I would suggest a Tshirt with Rat Saviour on it

So glad he's had a second chance. Would second Shunamite or something similar. Agree ab out lettuce no nutrition for a water source with more goodness grapes are a favourite.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2015, 12:23 PM
There are some great natural feeding groups for rats on various sites and well known social media groups (the popular FB...) I wish I could link for you but don't think it's allowed.

I'd try to get some protein into him too, some chicken or similar. Unflavoured, no herbs or spices.
I think you are amazing and so glad that you were able to do this without lining anyones pockets at the pet shop. If I were you I would take a little gift to the vets for the free appointment though, just a small box of chocolates or something.

Oh and I'd love to see some pictures of the little guy.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Sadly yesterday he started to fail, stopped eating and couldn't close his mouth anymore. It was time to let him go. The vet put him down, at least I know he ate well the day before and was well hydrated. Better than dying in that back room alone and starving. From now on I have to get an animal out before that happens. In two weeks he didn't see a vet until it was too late. Some people would say "It was just a rat". But in the grand scheme of things...if you can save one creatures life. He did have a name at the end. Bruno...from Bruno Mars...my kid went to the vet with me, very brave of her. Now we have small talk about what rat heaven is like.
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Sorry to read this but at least he was given the kindness of being PTS rather than being left to die slowly and in pain.
Thank you for caring for him.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Poor Bruno but at least he was loved and cared for at the end. Thank you for that.

I have a poster above my desk it says

Though ratties are small unspectacular things
Their spirits are huge with magnificent wings.

So true

RIP Bruno. I'm sure rat heaven is full of yoghurt drops.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2015, 03:35 PM
You are such a special person for taking Bruno in and giving him love and care in his last days. While it didn't work out I think you did an amazing thing and I hope your daughter (?) has taken it all on board and is dealing well with it all, and turns out as caring and wonderful as you.
Yes some will say 'it's just a rat' but they are 'just a human' there's millions of us too, doesn't mean we aren't all individual and special in our own way. Same for each and every spirit.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2