Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Wow. The Boy done Good!!!
I've been dying to see this. A real natural.
How rewarding for you all.
Well done Kodi and Apache.
Thanks for sharing.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Wow. The Boy done Good!!!
I've been dying to see this. A real natural.
How rewarding for you all.
Well done Kodi and Apache.
Thanks for sharing.
Hey thanks Brian, much appreciated.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by CharleyMaddison View Post
He is amazing! I bet it tires him out too!! How did you start off training this?
Thanks Charley, i started him off by accident really. His first winter as a puppy was really wet and cold so i started devising search games for him in the house. Just to keep him occupied really. Anyway, once spring came along we took him out to the forest. My OH and I would split up and play hide and seek with him. He always found us.

I then saw a post from Dave Olley about tracking, so i asked Dave how to start and he gave me some tips and Kodi seemed to enjoy it.
Last year we spent 6 months on formal obedience training and at my request the instructor included tracking. He said Kodi was a natural; at that time he was also trying to teach tracking to his own GSD, who is brilliant at obedience, but was really struggling with tracking.

So now I just say to Kodi "search", his head goes down to the ground and we are off. He really enjoys it, and as you say, it tires him physically, but more importantly gets his brain to work.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Lucky for your son,you decided not to climb one of those massive trees
Really enjoyed that,thanks...Well done Kodi
Thanks Lacey10, i let him off too easy didn't I? You are right, i should have included some raging streams, marshy bog areas with lots of mud and a few trees to climb. I will build that into the next movie for sure.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Thanks Lacey10, i let him off too easy didn't I? You are right, i should have included some raging streams, marshy bog areas with lots of mud and a few trees to climb. I will build that into the next movie for sure.
Your son will feel like he's been to Boot camp Looking forward to watching that
swimdog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Well done Kodi, I always said GDS's are so clever. (just seen this thread)
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by swimdog View Post
Well done Kodi, I always said GDS's are so clever. (just seen this thread)
Many Thanks Swimdog, we hope to do another video soon, will then post it here.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It was me he was tracking June!
I was the 'baddie' hiding in the wood pile, it sure was cold in there. My son Jamie was the handler, it was his first time and he did a really good job, fortunately he is athletic so had no problem jumping over fallen trees etc.
I thought Kodi might lose the trail on the very last bit, as the road is hardcore and not much there to leave a trail. He initially veers to the left then realises his mistake, hunts for the scent and then goes right. Even then he struggles to find anything but manages to carry on and then probably air scented me on the last 40 yards.

We did the movie yesterday morning and I edited it in the afternoon. First time I have used the GoPro software so very time consuming. I slowed the video down a wee bit to capture more detail, so it gives the impression he was sauntering along, but in reality he was moving pretty fast to cover over a mile of track. He did good though eh?
I was about to praise your 'hurdling' ability! Lovely vid of a lovely dog doing what that sort like doing best - having a job to do and GETTING IT RIGHT!

A pleasure to watch that.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2