Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Shona, I dont think anyone is having a go at people just for enjoying showing or saying that people who show are cruel or anything
We are talking about the getting rid of a dog (breeding/show/sport) when it is no longer of use for you
I dont see that understanding the show world makes any difference??
i agree, and thats what i have been trying to say... and it also doesnt just apply to show people.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Just out of interest, what about horses? They can be rehomed (ie sold) several times in a lifetime particularly if they are children's ponies. They are not as intelligent as dogs but they do get attached to their owners. It's kind of accepted that you rehome them (to a suitable home if you are a caring owner) once they no longer fit the bill, mainly due to the costs involved. Why is that different to dogs, or is it?
I dont have horses - and I think some horse owners would dispute the inteligence
It is a little different as dogs have been domesticated to be so close to us, they really are part of the family and live with us. But I dont know horses that well and if i did I might think it is wrong.
As I said before
So is it OK then to pass on a dog when it dosent fit in with your life?? when you have a baby? split up with a partner, move house, buy a new sofa?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I am commenting on all the posts saying it is OK to pass on a dog, my facts are fine - I didnt say whether you did or didnt - you said it was OK I find it very not OK

I have never said your dogs are not pets, I dont know you or anyone else on here, I can only comment on what is being said. If a person says it is OK to pass on a dog, that the dog is just stock and it would be better off being rehomed than living to old age in a house that shows what am I to take from that??
If it isnt something you agree with or practise then you are only posting to cause arguments

Post lots about how it is perfectly OK to do that and then when I say it isnt jump on me for saying things about you! I was only responding to what you posted
Everything in your post said YOU, as you were quoting me and responding to me, how should I NOT know you didnt mean me?

You are right though, you dont know me, you dont show, so you dont know that either.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I dont have horses - and I think some horse owners would dispute the inteligence
It is a little different as dogs have been domesticated to be so close to us, they really are part of the family and live with us. But I dont know horses that well and if i did I might think it is wrong.
As I said before
So is it OK then to pass on a dog when it dosent fit in with your life?? when you have a baby? split up with a partner, move house, buy a new sofa?
Our horses were part of our family life, every day that we had them. We loved them and cared for them and stayed up all night with them when they were sick. But sadly when the ponies were outgrown we sold them, with a heavy heart. We could not afford to keep a string of outgrown ponies as pets. I was just wondering if this was any different to the dogs belonging to breeders or people who show.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Sorry everyone else - just skip this but

Dawn, I was quoting quite a few people but you cut it to make it look like I was only talking to you
But from YOUR posts it was things like this I was commenting on

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So you dont think I provide for my dogs then? Who said I have passed a dog on either? I suggest you get your facts correct before you say such rubbish.

Oh OK then, Ill remember that, please ask permission before doing anything..........

So my dogs arent pets then either? My word, I really cant be bothered to answer...
Thats if it lived with you and you chose to do that. Id not personally want to leave dogs at home all day while I took others to a show, and they be on their own all the time, you may not have a problem with that, I would. A "companion" animal, Id rather the dog have company all the time if possible.

To many yes they are, its also a common word for ones kennel, their "stock" is a common term used.
You saying you would have no problem passing on a dog so you could carry on taking younger dogs to a show

Well you dont win rosettes at champ shows anyway, so thats not the point, and of course, with a catalogue, car park and entry, you are looking at least £30 for ONE dog, thats withiout traveling, so I dont think its for the money either. Ive showed dogs for 22yrs, I enjoy it, I enjoy the company, I enjoy the atmosphere etc..

You may be in a position and prefer to keep just the one dog or so, others who wish to continue to exhibit dogs will need to bring young stock in, or breed more to improve on what they ahve and to continue with showing. Its their choice, as long as the dogs are cared for, looked after and given what they need, I cant see that rehoming at a young age is a problem. I do however have a problem with dogs that have been bred from several times, and at age 6/7 or so then rehomed, that to me, is unfair, but from the dogs point of view, it will probably be fantastic!
Here, a little patronising and showing you dont know much about agility, the SKC shows will come in well over that price
again YOU saying you have no problem passing on dogs

I still cant see the problem. You wouldnt keep a dog thats not good enough would you? What are you saying, that people should keep them anyway and leave them at home all day while they exhibit others? Or perhaps breed from them anyway and breed more unsuitable specimens? If you want a PET first then fine, if you want a show dog then thats what it has to be. You have to make the choice of just what you want and whats best for the dog that you have.
Good enough?!? that is a horrible thing to say. Yes I would keep a dog even if it was unable to join me in a hobby I enjoyed
- and there is your bit I was quoting when you took ofence me talking about us PET dog owners
A show dog should be a pet dog, YOU are the one making it sound like they arnt. There are 7 days in a week and shows are generaly gonna be weekends, so showing is just a part of the dogs life

I have only been replying to what has been said, I have made no assumptions about you or your dog. You dont have a problem with what some people are doing - I do

AGAIN I ask
Whats the difference someone letting a dog go when they have a baby to a show or breeding dog who isny useful any more
TBH I think its worse to get rid of the show dog than if you become pregger by accident and at least take responability for the new life you have created - thats a bit more important than taking a pup to a show yet people in that situation are slated on here all the time
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I have never given a dog up because they havent met my expectations, what makes you think that?
I am not aware of you ever giving up a dog - but you are obviously prepared to do so going by what you have stated earlier in this thread about your intentions with regards to your youngster - if she has a significant fault....so the bond you have with her will not matter if she has a fault that means she cannot be bred from.

Of course I dont mind you asking.

I have waited over 7yrs for a foundation bitch, Breeze was to be that one, only she had a closed Pyo at 14mths, I had her spayed, still showed her, and won a reserve CC, plus many other awards.

Up untill recently, it hasnt been right for me to have another bitch. October 2008 I was having a puppy bitch out of Orey's mom, she only had one puppy, a male. She was then spayed, that was her second and final litter.

I waited another year, untill August last year, when mating Orey's sister to the same stud dog, I chose the stud dog both times, I had pick of the litter too, and the puppy was given to me, the arrangement is that as the breeder may not be in a position to breed another litter, he can have one back from me, from Livvy in the future, in order to keep his bitch line. Obviously if Livvy has any significant fault, I (nor they) would not breed from her, and as I cannot keep any more "pets" at this time, I would have to find her a pet home, and think again about foundation stock. I truly hope that wont be necessary and as I said I cant see it happening at the moment, this is her last week.

lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Our horses were part of our family life, every day that we had them. We loved them and cared for them and stayed up all night with them when they were sick. But sadly when the ponies were outgrown we sold them, with a heavy heart. We could not afford to keep a string of outgrown ponies as pets. I was just wondering if this was any different to the dogs belonging to breeders or people who show.
i have never had a horse, so i cant comment on the relationship with owning a horse, but i do love horses and used to ride a lot. i think the biggest thing with owning a horse is the cost, i would love a horse... they are just way too expensive though, it would be much harder to own multiple horses than multiple dogs. im not sure what my feeling are about selling them on though... will have a wee think about it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I dont know, I am a dog person so I think so but I am prob wrong
I am on another forum with someone who was sickend by Waitrose selling rabbit, I didnt see anything wrong with it till I thought what I would think if it was dogs - rabbits are her love, she rescues them, loves them campaigns for them.

I was looking at your siggy line, lovely and v true for this thread
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Thats it from me....bowing out of this thread now
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Think this may have gotten a little off-track now, but it's been really interesting to hear people's views. For the record, I have nothing against showing, and would like to get into it in the future. I'm not basing my opinions of disagreeing with commercial breeding and being against passing old stock on because I'm a stoopid pet owner who fails to see the other side. I know a few people who show their dogs and I sometimes go to watch shows. No, I'm not experienced when it comes to showing, but I don't see how that would change my opinions on whether it's OK to pass on old stock. Do I have to become a puppyfarmer before I can form an opinion on them?

I just think people who show are perhaps getting a bit insulted by association - I don't think there's anyone on this thread who I wouldn't consider a devoted dog lover - I really have no gripes. It's like every time someone has a go about working dogs being left in kennels 23 hours a day, run ragged, shocked with an e-collar and shoved back in a cold kennel - for sure it happens, but as someone who works their dog, I condemn that - I don't try and defend it.

I'm glad people do defend showing though - there's a lot of misinformation around, and I know joe public often have this view of show dogs being primped and pampered and used like dolls and as soon as they stop winning, they're cast aside. Well this thread makes it clear that some think it's OK for them to be tossed aside to make way for they younger model. I can't see how the public will ever change their opinions while this kind of thing goes on. It's a shame, because there are those (and no doubt a lot on this thread) who love their dogs unconditionally, whether in the ring, or at home, do right by their breed and do their best to improve it in any small way they can, and they get tarnished by the same brush. I'm sure some people aren't bothered, but I know some are!

(Phew - essay over!)
Page 23 of 41 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 > Last »