Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have often said, thats why lots of working/breeding/showing people dont do forums... they would constantly have to justify every action to many pet owners.
Thats so true,
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 06:33 PM
I don't agree with commercial breeding on any level - big show kennel/puppyfarm/BYB. If that's being righteous in the eyes of those who don't consider a dog to be an indispensable friend for life, then so be it! I don't really respect their opinions.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats not what I said

I said, as far as the dog is concerned there is not difference.

The rest is our emotions taking over.

We may or may not like it when dogs are moved on... but the fact is the dog will not give it a second thought.. dogs adapt to new homes every day.

So in, that I cant see why some see it as OK for a dog to be rehomed from a working home, but not from a pet/hobby home.

The outcome is the same!!
Yes - the outcome for the dog is the same....and what I said -
I do not think you can equate a breeder rehoming a dog who is who longer productive in the same way that you would do so with an ex worker (although I do not like that either I do see the nessecity for it in these cases)
I do not like to see it - and I do not think it is in the best interests of the dog to be rehomed from its settled position in life and its relationships with the people around it....yes - dogs adjust - they have to as we seem to throw so much change at them - does that mean that they should have to deal with it? You seem to be justifying it by saying the dog will get over it?

IMO - No, it is not fair to the dog, whether it is a worker or a ex breeder/show dog. (That doesn't mean I don't understand it)

Whats the saying.....
A dog is for life....I'll leave it to you to add the rest
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I have often said, thats why lots of working/breeding/showing people dont do forums... they would constantly have to justify every action to many pet owners.
Yeah - its very sad that they feel they have to justify it - it is rammed down peoples throats from day one - that you take on a responsibility when you take on an animal, to feed it, keep it healthy and provide it with the best medical care you can and companionship....

I think they would loose a lot of weight with the GP if the breeder of thier dog turns round and explains that actually - after thier dog has outlived its usefulness - they will pass it on to someone else to end its days to make room for the better models.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yeah - its very sad that they feel they have to justify it - it is rammed down peoples throats from day one - that you take on a responsibility when you take on an animal, to feed it, keep it healthy and provide it with the best medical care you can and companionship....

I think they would loose a lot of weight with the GP if the breeder of thier dog turns round and explains that actually - after thier dog has outlived its usefulness - they will pass it on to someone else to end its days to make room for the better models.
there is more than one line of thought on this, though I dont expect everyone to understant that,

Im not saying dogs should be shipped in and out in the blink of an eye,

but some breeders {the ones that often do a hell of a lot of good for some breeds} have there pets, have there oldies, but they also have a breeding programe,
these people are spending thousands, the often bring new blood lines in from all over the world to improve the breed they are in,
there are a few in rotties, we all benifit if some decent blood lines are brought into the country,

some may allow a bitch to go to a show home after thay have had one litter out of the bitch, they often know this person very well, the person may have handled the dog in the ring for them for years,

the other one I have no problem with in our breed is,

someone may have had several pups from a breeder over the years, that person may be getting a bit older and feel a young pup from the breeder would not work due to life style or whatever, they may prefer an older dog that doesnt need as much time and input as a pup,.

the whole world is not black and white.

what if.......... I handed teagan to gail next week, she lost her old bitch sasha on friday night, what if {sol} a pup she got from me really doesnt cope on his own, hes never been without canine company, gail works all day.
what if a decent rescue cant be found? would I be the worst person in the world for sending sols mum to live with him?

keep in mind I had a litter from this bitch! so I would in theory be passing on a bitch thats no longer required to breed from.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:51 PM
there is more than one line of thought on this, though I dont expect everyone to understant that,

Im not saying dogs should be shipped in and out in the blink of an eye,

but some breeders {the ones that often do a hell of a lot of good for some breeds} have there pets, have there oldies, but they also have a breeding programe,
these people are spending thousands, the often bring new blood lines in from all over the world to improve the breed they are in,
there are a few in rotties, we all benifit if some decent blood lines are brought into the country,

some may allow a bitch to go to a show home after thay have had one litter out of the bitch, they often know this person very well, the person may have handled the dog in the ring for them for years,

the other one I have no problem with in our breed is,

someone may have had several pups from a breeder over the years, that person may be getting a bit older and feel a young pup from the breeder would not work due to life style or whatever, they may prefer an older dog that doesnt need as much time and input as a pup,.

the whole world is not black and white.

what if.......... I handed teagan to gail next week, she lost her old bitch sasha on friday night, what if {sol} a pup she got from me really doesnt cope on his own, hes never been without canine company, gail works all day.
what if a decent rescue cant be found? would I be the worst person in the world for sending sols mum to live with him?

keep in mind I had a litter from this bitch! so I would in theory be passing on a bitch thats no longer required to breed from.
But is it fair to the dog? - if you have a bond with the dog - and the dog has a bond with you it is fair to put the dog through that...Yes they will deal with it - and get over it (Although - resuces I have and the Labs we had for 11 months still remember us and have a bond with us - so get over it may not be the right way to explain it)

IF you have that bond with the dog - how can you think about moving it on?

Fair enough people wanting to take on older dogs - thanks to the system that is in place it will always be an option.

I am not looking at this in Black and White - there are always reasons that dogs have to leave situations - but I do not feel that making room for younger/fitter/better looking dogs is a vaild one when we are talking about a HOBBY - as in something we do for FUN!

In your explaination you are not moving the dog one becasue it can no longer produce pups or becasue it can no longer get you rossetes and/or prestige, you are doing it to help another person and dog - but you have to factor in the dog you are shifting on as well.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:55 PM
its not a hobby for everyone, some people have years invested in there breeding programes along with an awful lot of money,
they buy there house's to suit dogs. spend a fortune on top of the range kennels and whelping rooms, show there dogs internationaly,

and if they get it right they can really improve a breed that needed that amount of commitment,

hobby breeders are great {if they do it right} but they will not maintain a breed,

nor will they improve one thats not doing so well.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But is it fair to the dog? - if you have a bond with the dog - and the dog has a bond with you it is fair to put the dog through that...Yes they will deal with it - and get over it (Although - resuces I have and the Labs we had for 11 months still remember us and have a bond with us - so get over it may not be the right way to explain it)

IF you have that bond with the dog - how can you think about moving it on?

Fair enough people wanting to take on older dogs - thanks to the system that is in place it will always be an option.

I am not looking at this in Black and White - there are always reasons that dogs have to leave situations - but I do not feel that making room for younger/fitter/better looking dogs is a vaild one when we are talking about a HOBBY - as in something we do for FUN!

In your explaination you are not moving the dog one becasue it can no longer produce pups or becasue it can no longer get you rossetes and/or prestige, you are doing it to help another person and dog - but you have to factor in the dog you are shifting on as well.
I think in my case yes it would, I see gail all the time, she knows my dogs very well, I spend a lot of time there,
the last two dogs she has had have came from me,
sol I bred myself, sasha was on death row due to aggression towards other dogs, she couldnt be homed through the breed resuce due to her problems so she came to me, after being with me for some time, then she went to gail, she lived a long and happy life there with her, I had developed a bond with sasha before gail got her,

yes I would be doing to help gail, and more so to help a pup I sold her, Its not going to happen but I did consider the what if's if sol fell apart after sasha died, if it did happen it would be temp untill a suitable rescue could be found.

the problem with getting a suitable rescue is, gail has a young son {2 years old} she has a male rottie thats still got his danglys, so that stikes her off so many rescue's already,
then when you take into account that she has a baby, the right rescue would be a must, it could take months finding the right dog, which doesnt really help sol just now.

So I did have it as a back up plan depending on how he was doing,

the first back up was, myself and dougie rotating and taking sol out ot the house for a few hours each day.

so far so good sol seems to be doing ok {thank god}

lol some dogs you bond with very quickly,
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:00 PM
its not a hobby for everyone, some people have years invested in there breeding programes along with an awful lot of money,
they buy there house's to suit dogs. spend a fortune on top of the range kennels and whelping rooms, show there dogs internationaly,

and if they get it right they can really improve a breed that needed that amount of commitment,

hobby breeders are great {if they do it right} but they will not maintain a breed,

nor will they improve one thats not doing so well.
I know very few breeders who are solely breeders - it does not make enough money - there is always another job involved.

And I'm afraid I am not one that feels the end justifys the means.....
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I think in my case yes it would, I see gail all the time, she knows my dogs very well, I spend a lot of time there,
the last two dogs she has had have came from me,
sol I bred myself, sasha was on death row due to aggression towards other dogs, she couldnt be homed through the breed resuce due to her problems so she came to me, after being with me for some time, then she went to gail, she lived a long and happy life there with her, I had developed a bond with sasha before gail got her,

lol some dogs you bond with very quickly,
Fair enough - if you were willing to put your dog through that.

I would not - and I don't agree the dogs should be. Siren has an amazing bond with some people - I see them regularly and she gets on really well with them. I still think - if I were to pass her on to anyone of those people it would cause her stress - maybe over a short term, but IMO that is not fair on the dog.

yes I would be doing to help gail, and more so to help a pup I sold her, Its not going to happen but I did consider the what if's if sol fell apart after sasha died, if it did happen it would be temp untill a suitable rescue could be found.

the problem with getting a suitable rescue is, gail has a young son {2 years old} she has a male rottie thats still got his danglys, so that stikes her off so many rescue's already,
then when you take into account that she has a baby, the right rescue would be a must, it could take months finding the right dog, which doesnt really help sol just now.

So I did have it as a back up plan depending on how he was doing,

the first back up was, myself and dougie rotating and taking sol out ot the house for a few hours each day.

so far so good sol seems to be doing ok {thank god}
I am sorry you are in this situation - it is very hard - and such an easy mistake for people with Mulitple dogs to make. Whatever happens he is going to have to learn to deal with being on his own at some point - as yo said if his mum goes back to him it cannot be a permenat measure as he is likelty to loose her as well - so this issue here is retraining a dog to deal with being alone.
Page 11 of 41 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »