register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 20 of 28 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
I've seen dogs with queen anne legs work, i suppose its the same as anything it depends on how severe, i have never put one in to a working home though we had one a couple of years ago where they were quiet severe and the vet said to leave well alone as they weren't bothering him, it probably wouldn't restrict their working life springers tend to have a high pain threshold and don't know when to stop, our gamekeepers dog had his shoulder pinned last year after an altercation with a badger (we think) hasn't stopped him doing a full season this year, out of the 600 or so that have come through rescue in the last few years we have only seem a couple that have had queen anne legs
im no expert on springers, but I do have concerns given what you have said that some springers may well be out there doing a days work, being allowed to do it becase they are stoic dogs,
surely it would be better to breed, conformationaly correct dogs that will be pain free doing a days work?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
im no expert on springers, but I do have concerns given what you have said that some springers may well be out there doing a days work, being allowed to do it becase they are stoic dogs,
surely it would be better to breed, conformationaly correct dogs that will be pain free doing a days work?
but how do you know they're in pain?? if they are keen to do the work and show no ill effects from it, all i can say on the Queen Anne legs is that the one dog we had through rescue who's legs were really bad, when checked by the vet he said to leave well alone as it wasn't bothering him
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:24 PM
but how do you know they're in pain?? if they are keen to do the work and show no ill effects from it, all i can say on the Queen Anne legs is that the one dog we had through rescue who's legs were really bad, when checked by the vet he said to leave well alone as it wasn't bothering him
if a working springer has a bowed front end, how do you know its not in pain?

do they tend to have them x-rayed to see if there is any problems in the shoulders/spine or legs?

I know my dogs are free of any dibilitating joint problems as I have them health tested,

but im not sure what the set up is in working homes for springers?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:26 PM
if a working springer has a bowed front end, how do you know its not in pain?

do they tend to have them x-rayed to see if there is any problems in the shoulders/spine or legs?
This particular one was xrayed yes, like i said earlier its not as common as you think, in the last 4 years i have been involved in rescue we have had only a couple with noticeable Queen Anne legs
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I do agree with this. Regardless of whether deformed legs can be proved to be detrimental to the dog or not, I think the opportunity to move freely, and live active lives should be given to ALL dogs, not just those who's breed standard permits. Some show/pet bassets do not walk in a nice, free way - they are dwarfish and stunted. Sure they get about, but it's not what I would want from a dog. I like to see them move freely and naturally but some just have to manage with how people have made them which I don't think is always fair.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:34 PM
No one was suggesting Springers with Queen Anne are 'normal', just that this deformity (I think I'm OK to say that as it isn't normal) doesn't stop most dogs with it from living a normal life. It's a general statement as some are affected by it, some are not but there isn't a person on this board who would say it's preferable.

There are also many different stages of Carpal Varus.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:35 PM
here he is knew i had a phot somewhere Jerry worst front legs i have ever seen on a springer

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
No one was suggesting Springers with Queen Anne are 'normal', just that this deformity (I think I'm OK to say that as it isn't normal) doesn't stop most dogs with it from living a normal life. It's a general statement as some are affected by it, some are not but there isn't a person on this board who would say it's preferable.

There are also many different stages of Carpal Varus.
I understand that, but someone out there is still breeding this type? it seems from whats being said on here that this is more down to working type breeding than show type?

again im no expert on springer conformation
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I understand that, but someone out there is still breeding this type? it seems from whats being said on here that this is more down to working type breeding than show type?

again im no expert on springer conformation
i don't think anyone is deliberately breeding dogs with bowed front legs, my understanding is its when one of the bones in theleg Grows faster than the other
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 04:43 PM
here he is knew i had a phot somewhere Jerry worst front legs i have ever seen on a springer

awe bless his wee bandy legs,

do you have any front views of him?
Page 20 of 28 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »