View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:34 AM
It makes me feel really sick people saying that if a dog is in a compatition or show home and dosent make the grade it might be happier in a pet home
These are hobbies, they should still BE pet homes. If you are thinking your pet dosent make the grade then mibby you should be thinking its not the pet - YOU have not made the grade as a pet owners

as I said, different with REAL jobs, guide dogs, police dogs and farm dogs, although many of these are kept it is understandable to retire them to a pet home if they couldnt cope with the young un doing their job right infront of them

agility, ob, and showing are not a job
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
as I said, different with REAL jobs, guide dogs, police dogs and farm dogs, although many of these are kept it is understandable to retire them to a pet home if they couldnt cope with the young un doing their job right infront of them

agility, ob, and showing are not a job

There is not difference to the dog whether it re homed from a REAL job or a HOBBY home.

I cant understand how some can see the two as different, one acceptable and one not
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
Just to go back to the original point. I know a couple of breeders who say have 8 puppies in a litter and sell them for about £700 = £5,200 - now don't tell me that it costs that much to rear a litter of puppies to 8/10 weeks.
You are NOT quoting typically, just how you think it happens all the time. Ill give you what happened to us last year.

£350 stud fee.
£110 tests for the bitch.
Cesarian - £590
1 puppy born, died at 2 days old.

Total profit? Erm like £1050 out of pocket.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
There is not difference to the dog whether it re homed from a REAL job or a HOBBY home.

I cant understand how some can see the two as different, one acceptable and one not
Are you saying you honestly believe that people choosing to have a dog as a hobby and people needing a dog to do a job are the same thing?

We will have to agree to differ as I don't understand how you Can't see the difference.

IMHO - if you choose to take a dog into your life then you take that dog on - not what it could be or what it could produce...you get that dog - period!
If you do not feel you can provide the best home for it then you should question whether it is right to take it on in the first place.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 11:12 AM
A friend of mine often lets her older dogs go to pet homes when she has stopped showing them. She only breeds 1 or less litters a year & is one of the top breeders(quality not quantity). she has given away Champion bitches who have never had a litter, winning males that have never been bred from & all her dogs are fully health tested.

She has just made up a second Champion bitch from the same litter-will she breed from her-probably not

Her dogs mainly live in kennels(& are beautifully kept & have temperaments to die for)so what is better for a dog/bitch when it is no longer being shown ? To live out it's days as one of many(well 12)or to live in a pet home indoors & lead a happy & fulfilled life ??

I would never let one of my dogs go, but I admire her for allowing her dogs to reap the rewards of family life when they are no longer shown or don't make the grade(the second of which rarely happens as most of hers are successful show dogs).

She has a waiting list of forever homes for her dogs both as puppies & older adults.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
A friend of mine often lets her older dogs go to pet homes when she has stopped showing them. She only breeds 1 or less litters a year & is one of the top breeders(quality not quantity). she has given away Champion bitches who have never had a litter, winning males that have never been bred from & all her dogs are fully health tested.

She has just made up a second Champion bitch from the same litter-will she breed from her-probably not

Her dogs mainly live in kennels(& are beautifully kept & have temperaments to die for)so what is better for a dog/bitch when it is no longer being shown ? To live out it's days as one of many(well 12)or to live in a pet home indoors & lead a happy & fulfilled life ??

I would never let one of my dogs go, but I admire her for allowing her dogs to reap the rewards of family life when they are no longer shown or don't make the grade(the second of which rarely happens as most of hers are successful show dogs).

She has a waiting list of forever homes for her dogs both as puppies & older adults.
Exactly - your dogs are your dogs - they are part of your life and family.

For someone who chooses (as a hobby) to keep live animals, they should provide for them, what they feel, is the best quality of life they possibly can.

I would say it is better for her dogs to go - especially if she cannot provide what she feels is 'enough' for them .

But I do not agree with people keeping dogs just for showing - well - any hobby.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Are you saying you honestly believe that people choosing to have a dog as a hobby and people needing a dog to do a job are the same thing?

We will have to agree to differ as I don't understand how you Can't see the difference.

IMHO - if you choose to take a dog into your life then you take that dog on - not what it could be or what it could produce...you get that dog - period!If you do not feel you can provide the best home for it then you should question whether it is right to take it on in the first place.
Great post xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 01:22 PM
How can you admire someone who keeps their dogs in kennels and who gets rid of them if they interfer with their hobby.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Some people keep their dogs really well, baby comes along, they rehome the dog. I get a bit annoyed when I see that, but it's more of a valid reason, in my mind, than, "I must keep winning so have to rehome my older dogs so I can continue to be in the rosettes".
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
How can you admire someone who keeps their dogs in kennels and who gets rid of them if they interfer with their hobby.
Whats wrong with keeping dogs in kennels?
Page 9 of 41 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »