Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beth15478
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Age old recall problem!

16 month springer spaniel x lab

Usual story, Puppy fab with recall, even when recall was good I reinforced it with treats and fuss. He hits teens and recall goes out of the window. I have changed tactics and started using a whistle (hated hearing myself shouting constantly) Started in the house, treat and fuss everytime he came to the whistle then moved outside where there is more distraction that was lovely too. Decided to go to the woods this morning early so there wouldnt be many dogs about. I opened the boot, he stayed until I told him he could come out and as soon as I told him he could come out he ran off!!! Spent 15mins trying to find him, put him on the lead and brought him home!

I cant use toys with him as he gets too excited and jumps up at you and tries to grab it out of your hand but I do need a way of grabbing his attention so he actually knows I'm there!! Even tried those high pitched noises Victoria Stilwell makes (defeats the object of the whistle really) !! lol

I really need help with this, I'm starting to lose the will to live!
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Hiya, sorry to hear about this, am going through similar things with our Rottie, Captain. I heard from someone that keeping Smackos in your pocket helps because they smell so strong that the dog hangs around to try and get a treat. I have bought a 30 ft tough Nylon lead for a new angle of training this weekend. Maybe that might help you, then at least he can run a bit but you still have him on the end of the leash? will let you know how we go and would definitely be interested in hearing if you see any progress. Best of luck with it!
Emma x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 09:26 AM
You got a very young, very active dog. I`m afraid the enthusiasm comes with the territory.
Your dog was very good and stayed waiting nicely - then you released him and he took you up on it. His whole being (and breeding) is telling him to hunt, scent, flush, fetch. Your recall needs to be ingrained enough to supercede that.
With his breeding, I would be doing scent games, retrieve games, maybe a bit of hide and seek. All to make him understand that you are part of the fun, not the end of it.
I suggest you invest in a lunge line till he recall is better and go back to basics with the whistle training as it`s not there yet if he`s not responding.
And play with your dog. A walk with a young gundog has to be interactive.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I opened the boot, he stayed until I told him he could come out and as soon as I told him he could come out he ran off!!!

Common problem I see with hundreds of dogs because the dog is anticipating what comes next.

What all owners should train dogs to do, is wait until told to come out, be put on the lead BEFORE they come out, SIT immediately they come out (gives you time to lock car, find hat, gloves, put keys away, put phone in pocket etc etc); start the first part of a walk ON THE LEAD.

This is for TWO reasons:

1 Control - the dog should learn that when it first comes out it may do some boring stuff, this will INCREASE the control you have at the start and lower the arousal. Do NOT allow the dog to pull, each time it does, go back to car.

2 Health and Safety of Dog - a dog, like US should be WARMED UP first before haring off into the yonder. I use the same methods with my dogs as I did with my horses, walking/trotting for 10 - 15 minutes before letting them off.

You say you cannot use toys, but you CAN if you teach your dog some self control, the above will help with this, plus asking for a sit etc before he gets toy.

If he is THIS enthusiastic about a toy you have GOT IT MADE! where training is concerned, you just have to teach the dog that access to the toy is contingent on certain behaviours, so you can start with a long line (use gloves) so he cannot go off with toy.

Then you can start asking for a sit, and gradually increase the level of control ie walking the dog past a toy on the floor, throwing the toy and then immediately doing heelwork, throwing it and then asking for a down or a recall.

All of these are BUILDING blocks to achieving control, if you search recall I have put my recall article in several threads

Good Luck!

Spent 15mins trying to find him, put him on the lead and brought him home!

I cant use toys with him as he gets too excited and jumps up at you and tries to grab it out of your hand but I do need a way of grabbing his attention so he actually knows I'm there!! Even tried those high pitched noises Victoria Stilwell makes (defeats the object of the whistle really) !! lol

I really need help with this, I'm starting to lose the will to live!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 12:14 PM
We were advised by our gundog breeder to always give dogs time to adjust to something different as well to give their brains time to settle, so put the lead on, just give them 30 seconds to cope with it, have them in the car so that they cant run off immediately, give them time when you open the car to see out, but not get out, maybe while you put your wellies on.

We also get them out of the car on a lead in most areas and then give them time to sit and calm, then a short walk sit and then release them, if they have then received a treat for the sit and at the end of the walk they are then aware of what tasty treat they are coming back to.

I believe it is no use you knowing you have an amazing treat if the dog doesnt know, so we make sure the dog has received some of the treat before he goes off.

We also have a 'this way' type command that refocusses the dog on us and redirects him if he is looking like heading slightly too far away, this so far has worked when recall wouldnt possibly because the dog is focussed on you but not needing to come back.

Our dogs now always run/circle in the most a 100 yard radius of us and if we stop they reign in where they go according to us, and will often come back in very close of their own free will whether there are other people/dogs we are talking with or not, i generally reward these visits back to with either a treat or strokes etc, and actively then send them away to play again with a command.

I would use the long line where possible just to remind your dog the purpose of recall and keep persevering so he knows that you are not going to give up.

Good luck, I am sure we dont have it fully cracked by any means, but we are still learning and aiming to be consistent and will go back a step if necessary which for the vast majority of owners seems to be whats needed, so i really dont think you are alone, it may be a small comfort!