View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Humping is stress IMO. Just needs a bit more security, to learn to settle down.

I might try a sort of watered down nothing in life is free as well.

I have started to ask a bit more of Etta----like a sit before she gets a fuss (very occassionally (G)). Also doing more self control excercises as she wants everything yesterday!

rune
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I'd get middle raw marrow bones from the butcher and take the marrow out. You'll end up with a long bit of bone with two open ends---does that make sense? OK, I'll go check that out next time I'm in town

Yes I did mean re aggression when taking them away. Most dogs really like them. Yep, we've had that in the past before!

Who said it was protein causing the problem with his tummy? Has he been tested or was it a vet guessing? Lots of assessments but this is just her conclusion

The ears often cause runny tummies, I tend to ignore the odd runny ones but Etta was different, she'd have died had I carried on feeding the Autkary (SP) I think it was the maize in it. She is on Burns now and has titbits of anything not too full of cereals. Sometimes she is a bit runny/soft but not desperate (is this too much information?)!! LOL, no but he was at the stage where all his poos were runny

I might try to add bits of things, if it is protein carrots, cabbage, apples etc. You can stuff bananas into kongs. OK, I'l try it and see how he gets on, thanks

rune
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Rune said exactly what I was thinking when I read your post.

Ramble made a good point....do abit of road walking before taking him back in, abit like exercise at the gym...warm up, exercise, then cooling down period.

Plus I do agree with the stroking/soothing, this can sometimes have the opposite effect and irritate. If it was irritating, would he not just move away?

Here the dogs have one bed...in the kitchen, when they have been out we just open the kitchen door and they go straight to thier bed and we ignore them them so they just settle.
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Taken from the 'how would handle this' thread

Pidge, I thought the peeing on the sofa and his bed was an insecurity/guarding type issue when you posted about it back in November and having just read your post above on the other thread, I feel that even more strongly. If it is, why is he only doing it in his sleep and when he scrabbles?

I can't help thinking that by peeing in his bed and the sofa he is trying to claim these places as his and the fact that he will try and bit if moved from the sofa would point to that too - its something that he wants badly enough to confront you over.

From what you've said about your OH, I think Woody could well be confused about the relationship between the 3 of you. Me too, but we've talked about it now and are both singing from the same hymn sheet now.

I did suggest last time you posted that you speak to the behavourist at your work about this - did you do that and if so, what did he/she say? I haven't done this yet, you're right, I should although hate taking up their time as they're there for the rescues really. I'm sure they wont mind a quick question though.
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Do you ever just tell him to get on his bed and lie down without trying to slove what might be wrong with him.
Maybe you are giving him too much attention and he is acting up. I do think he attention seeks. He does do this 99% of the time, I'm just talking about the 1% bit as would like to try and understand it better so I can try and help him if he needs it.

If he where mine I would make him lie on his bed and ignore him if he gets off take him back.
As for the humping tell him no and take them away. He only does it cause you let him.
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks YS!
I agree...he needs to settle down before going in..and then expectations need to change. If you expect your dog to settle down, they will as they do pick up on the 'vibes'.

I hadn't seen the other thread...but having seen Hali's quote...I am thinking he is either claiming the sofa..OR it is the other extreme and he is actally anxious and stressed...and it is submissive peeing. I am wondering if that is the case...especially with the hyper behaviour post walk. He may be stressing for whatever reason. But what reason? Why is he stressed?

Good points too...
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Humping is stress IMO. Just needs a bit more security, to learn to settle down. The humping is mainly done when he's about to settle down for the night, why would this be stressing him out?

I might try a sort of watered down nothing in life is free as well. Yep, we always do this. Nothing major but he doesn't get a cuddle or a biscuit without a sit.

I have started to ask a bit more of Etta----like a sit before she gets a fuss (very occassionally (G)). Also doing more self control excercises as she wants everything yesterday! The frustration game was one of the best things we ever taught him

rune
I might have put this out to be a major thing because I wanted to get it worded spot on to try and get some help. It happens about once a week, if that so I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, but it does need to be understood and stopped, which is why I posted about it ;o)

Thanks for all the help so far, certainly lots of things to try.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Just to be clear about his peeing - are you saying that he's peeing while he is asleep? Until your last questions I thought that you said he was doing it as he was settling down to sleep?

If the former, I would have him checked over by the vet - it could be a medical problem. If the latter, it may be that the doesn't feel 'safe/secure' where he is going to sleep and is trying to make himself more so by making the place his.

Do you/your OH move him off the sofa often and if is so in what circumstances?

Do you or have you moved him out of his own bed in the past?

Does he still have his crate? If not (I know you've said before your house is fairly small) is it worth thinking about putting it back up so that he has somewhere completely safe/secure to go off to if he wants?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Just to be clear about his peeing - are you saying that he's peeing while he is asleep? Until your last questions I thought that you said he was doing it as he was settling down to sleep?

If the former, I would have him checked over by the vet - it could be a medical problem. If the latter, it may be that the doesn't feel 'safe/secure' where he is going to sleep and is trying to make himself more so by making the place his. The peeing, imo, is purely related to him refusing to go outside if it's raining and having swallowed gallons whilst swimming, but I am going to start recording it abit closer to be sure. It's not right though, either way.

Do you/your OH move him off the sofa often and if is so in what circumstances? No, never now. No need to.

Do you or have you moved him out of his own bed in the past? No, never.

Does he still have his crate? If not (I know you've said before your house is fairly small) is it worth thinking about putting it back up so that he has somewhere completely safe/secure to go off to if he wants? I'd happily put it back if I felt it was necc' but he never ever went in there on his own, which is why we took it down. His sleep spots are either on the sofa with us, in his bed (which in opposite our sofa) or on our bed
I must admit I've never thought he was stressed, but there is 'something' not quite right about his behaviour sometimes.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Sorry Pidge I know I can get easily confused, but this post you posted on the 'how would you deal with this' thread suggests that you do still move him from the sofa from time to time?

Originally Posted by Pidge
Fancy a trip to Oxfordshire? Woody still does frustration biting. He has a soft mouth now and stops when we tell him sternly ''no biting'', but he still does it.

We've gone back to puppy basics with him and everytime he gives the look, or makes that little sound he does we shove a toy in his mouth, Mini Phoebe is a true star.

He also still goes to bite when he's been naughty on the bed or the sofa and we try to get him off . Unfortunately this is learnt behaviour form my stubborn husband being physical (not harmful, but physical) with him rather than standing his ground and using the command words. We have to lure him out with treats - not ideal. In my opinion, Woody will happily ignore because he knows eventualy we (my husband) will give up, whereas he listens to me more because he knows I would happily stand there al day telling him.

Also, I think we've confused the situation as we seem to use the word ''off'' for a lot of different scenarios; off the furniture, off the treat/toy, off us (no jumping) and off the counter tops/tables. Is this causing an issue with 'off'' the bed/sofa?
Should I move this onto my settle thread? Sorry for the threadjack, it's just got me thinking.

Evidently if it is just a full bladder, you just need to force him to go out, even if you put a lead on him and walk him down the street a short way.

PS you didn't clarify whether he is doing it in his sleep or just as he's about to settle?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Sorry Pidge I know I can get easily confused, but this post you posted on the 'how would you deal with this' thread suggests that you do still move him from the sofa from time to time?

Evidently if it is just a full bladder, you just need to force him to go out, even if you put a lead on him and walk him down the street a short way.

PS you didn't clarify whether he is doing it in his sleep or just as he's about to settle?
No it's OK, ask away, you're the one trying to help after all ;o)

If he jumps up onto the sofa or on the bed and starts humping we tell him to get off. Neil has tried to pull him off before and Woody growls at him now if he gets too confrontational (i.e. towers over Woody giving a stern command). He now knows not to do this.

The weeing happens occasionally while he's asleep and sometimes while he is scrabbling. I think it's relaxing on a full bladder weeing and always after swimming. I always force him out for a wee on these occasions before settling but he still does it.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi

Woody has never seemed to be stressed on the occasions I have seen him in the home be it for a quick visit or a nice cuppa and catch up, I use the kong/treat method with my guys if i want to encourage them to settle for a while. Mine no longer have crates, but I use the kitchen area as 'their' space......failing that I go and have a long hot bath and leave them too it.

Swim bladder sounds quite likely, having seen how he is out on his walks and having a bitch that also suffers from that sometimes when she has been for a nice long run and swim. Sounds like he is being a lazy boy at the moment with all the foul weather we are having He needs to have a word with Cin she is being a madam too
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 11:06 AM

'Stressed' doesn't necessarily mean 'stressed' as we see it...being anxious/worried. It is more a general term to describe a hyped up state with adrenalin running...as well as possibly being an anxious state. It is such a broad term.

I think that Woody gets 'stressed' on walks and believe it or not, I think his upset tums have something to do with it. Consistently high adrenalin levels can effect poop. I think it is part and parcel of the same problem. I would look at your walks and what you do on them....you need to perhaps use some calming techniques with him....and alter the way you walk him sometimes Throw in some pavement pounding to settle him. Let him sniff when doing it. Give him other opportunities to use his nose on walks, that you control. There's a lot you can do. I suspect if you look at his walks things will start to settle.

I also think he is 'anxious' in the house...he is only young and you have been through lots of different training methods and problems with him. He just needs some time to be a pet and settle.He's your first dog and we have all been in that situation. I tried to do everything too soon and did too much and ended up with Biff. Enough said. Bless him. Thing is, you need to just be consistent now (which I know you arer trying to be) but the pee thing...well walk him round the block, don't let him say no to peeing so he does it on the furniture...simples.

I do think he shows signs of 'stress' from what you have said...but I am not there so it is hard to say.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Pidge....I think you should read Turid Rugaas' Calming Signals book. I think it will help you understand what Woody is saying sometimes
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Sorted.

I have one exhausted dog who is settled nicely on his bed with a full belly and not just tired legs, but a tired mind.

It's likely that it's a frustration thing with him as he's not sure what to do so acts up and humps and grumbles etc.

The peeing thing is purely him being a jerk and I will now be taking him out on lead until he goes. During sleep though it's defo swim bladder.

I have been into town and bought him an empty, boiled marrow bone and a black kong that I will stuff with his soaked kibble and freeze.

Before each walk I will do a small bit of easy training, walk off lead, walk back on lead, wash and dry off. After that I will do some clicker training and settle him in his bed with a bone/kong.

At bed time I'm still not sure how to handle the humping of pillows thing on our bed but with any luck all of the above might stop him feeling like he needs to do it. I will just ignore it for now and see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice, wish me luck!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >