Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 01:49 PM

epilepsy

Having just come off 3 days of seizures,with 1 day of status this is a touchy subject for me,I dont care if its NI,GSD or whatever breed people are breeding, if they are not being responsible with this disease they should be banned from even owning a dog let alone breeding
To all the breeders out there WHY would you even risk it,if you know theres fitting somewhere in the line WHY would you breed the dogs,just because your dog isnt fitting,WHY
would you take a chance on passing one that MIGHT onto an ususpecting member of the public?????????
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope things are improving. Hugs to you both.
xxx
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope things are improving. Hugs to you both.
xxx
Thanks LS Hes asleep now, finally, poor guy he feels crappy.
it was his first status so Im a little upset,tired and more than a little grumpy.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 02:47 PM
You poor thing, how scary. How did they get him out of it? Last year Loki had to be sedated on propofol with iv phenobarbitone - it wasn't quite status but getting that way. It was touch and go whether they could stop the fits so I really do feel for you.

You try to get some rest too, if you can, although I know how worried you must be. Poor little man, I hope he has a long time fit free now.
xxx
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
You poor thing, how scary. How did they get him out of it? Last year Loki had to be sedated on propofol with iv phenobarbitone - it wasn't quite status but getting that way. It was touch and go whether they could stop the fits so I really do feel for you.

You try to get some rest too, if you can, although I know how worried you must be. Poor little man, I hope he has a long time fit free now.
xxx
yep thats what they did to him and he was still seizing under sedation,it was a nightmare,,never ending gran mal,I was holding him telling the nurse freekin hurry up hes seizing she thought I said he was sneezing dozy cow,they put him on a new seizure med for people and the pharmacy messed up and put him on a 4th of the dose he was supposed to be on and so now we are sorted with that hopefully it will be a while,poor you how long did it take for loki to recover from that,he is so quiet im not used to it so It worries me,and he is really not interested in eating unless I hand feed him,also unusual for him,I am not ready to lose him yet hes only 3
we are resting now
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Poor fella, he's had a bad time of it. Hopefully he'll perk up - perhaps a reaction to the drugs and sedation?

Which human medication did they put him on? Gabapentin?

Loki went in in the morning - we just couldn't stop the cluster this time. They sedated him and when I rang a few hours later things weren't looking too good because they said he kept going back into seizure when they tried to remove sedation. But by the end of the day things had improved and they kept him in overnight, lightly sedated. I was able to pick him up the next day and I was so excited but he was a wreck. He just lay there trembling and wouldn't come with me so OH had to pick him up and carry him to the car. At home I'd made him a special bed but he was awful, jumping at noises etc.

But he bounced back very quickly .
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Keeshonden used to have a terrible problem with Epilepsy, Phyllis Croft worked with the breed clubs & breeders & now it is quite rare in Keeshonden.

The same cannot be said for breeders of some lines of GSDs who are in complete denial about their dogs genetic predisposition to epilepsy(they nearly all have lines off the pedigree to the same dog who was a known epileptic. because the dog is off the pedigree they are unaware of how many lines go back to him(One epileptic dog had no less than 30 lines to him)

Some epilepsy is genetical & some is not, we are hoping that my friend's rescue GSD has hormonal epilepsy & that spaying her will prevent it's reoccurance, the two fits that she has had one was whilst she was in season & the other 6 weeks later(during the time that phantom pregnancies become apparent)& also 3 months after the 1st season she came in season again(this season was stopped by the vet & her spay has been rescheduled treating her as a three monthly bitch)
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
oh what a shame I hope shamus comes around that quick ,they put him on zonegran (zonisamide) 400 mg bid is the proper dose we were on 100 bid.
He ate lunch and is asleep now thanks LStar
to everyone else genetic or not a fitting dog should not be bred
xxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks Joedee - I found an interesting article on epilepsy in GSDs, I will post it here - it's relatively old (1997) but I feel still relevant:

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/epilepsy2.htm
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Bajaluna - here is a link to that drug. Side effects are rare, apparently, but include loss of appetite so that could explain it. Oh I do hope your boy does well on it. Please could you keep me posted?

xxx

http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/VetR...amide_form.htm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >